Reliable DVD Burner

casher824

n00b
Hello, I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't know where this should go and my searches really didn't come up with an answer to this. I'm building an new pc and I need some recommendations for a good, reliable DVD Burner. I'm looking for a SATA drive with preferably a DVD+/-R burn speed of 20-22x. I'm open to any brand but I heard that LG does not release firmware updates for their drives. Any suggestions would be great.

Most of the brands are fine, LG, Samsung, etc. Lite-on is also reliable but I find them to spin up pretty loud, so depends how much that matters to you. I wouldn't be worried too much about firmware updates for a dvd burner personally, I can't imagine too much that really needs to be upgraded on them...

I'm not that concerned about firmware updates but it bothers me that a company never releases them. Noise is a moderate concern. I don't mind a little noise but the disc spinning should not be louder than the rest of the computer.

I had a Lite On and that this is very reliable. I have beat it to hell and it still works get going on 5 years now but it is loud on spin up. I upgrade to a Samsung and it so far works beautifully and is very quiet.

Honestly when I put together my PC I just grabbed a ~$30 Samsung from Newegg, it was almost an afterthought. Been in there for a year and it still works fine. These things are almost ubiquitous as their importance fades. Just pick on a nice Samsung or LG, they are all cheap and all work.

Heh, and yet I've had like 3 of them die on me in the past 2 years. Always out of warranty too..

Sucks... =/

But they're the quietest I've found... so I kept buying them...

Pioneer and if you can find one, Benq get my vote. Pioneer writes to any media i have thrown at it, benq burns good quality burns on verbatim dvd+r's and also have the ability to check the quality of the written content.

... I wouldn't be worried too much about firmware updates for a dvd burner personally, I can't imagine too much that really needs to be upgraded on them...

I had a 9-month old LG DVD burner that had a seeking problem, due to a documented heating-related mechanical defect that eventually appeared with long-term usage.

They promptly replaced it with a more advanced faster model. That was 3 years ago, in March. The drive is still running fine with low usage.

With the new model, my first DL burn had an data integrity problem and made a coaster. It turns out the media I was using was fairly new and not known to the drive's original factory firmware. This was a reasonable problem cause.

I went to the LG support site, saw new firmware that was aware of the new media formulation, downloaded and installed it, and made a DL burn with 100% integrity. This happened exactly once. I haven't had a reason to make a 2nd DL burn. I think the marketing of new media formulations is a possible reason to periodically upgrade firmware.

For me, LG has been a pretty good experience, keeping my low optical usage in mind. I would certainly buy an LG again.

Upgrades for optical drive firmware are primarily released specifically for that reason: to update the drive to be more compatible with a wider variety of newer brands of media as well as more types/formulations of given brands that already exist.

Very rarely have I ever seen a firmware update issued that simply fixed a bug or whatever; almost always they'll list "updated to provide wider compatibility with <insert media manufacturer names here>" or something to that effect.

Now, that's manufacturer's firmware - there's the entire custom modding/modded firmware effort out there for many brands, like Lite-On models, Benq, NECs, Sony/Optiarc, etc... that's where CDFreaks.com comes in handy as a lot of those folks make the forums over there their primary contact for support aside from websites.

Pioneer and if you can find one, Benq get my vote. Pioneer writes to any media i have thrown at it, benq burns good quality burns on verbatim dvd+r's and also have the ability to check the quality of the written content.

Have you use Sony BD-R and BD-RW? If so, does it interface well?

I to am looking for a dvd burner but a usb.I heard that neweeg.com is good but is there anywhere else?I don't want to spend over 100.00

Back