Release Group Apologizes For Leaking Movie Before It Hit Theaters

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hive-CM8 has offered an apology for leaking Tarantino’s “The Hateful Eight” before its official release. Now you can’t accuse release groups of lacking a conscience.

“Since everyone is now talking about this movie we don’t think the producers will [lose] any money [upon theatrical release]. We actually think this has created a new type of media hype that is more present in the news, radio and in the papers than Star Wars, and the promotional costs for this were free,” Hive says.

If someone wanted to watch the movie in the theater why would they download it instead anyway?

If someone wanted to watch the movie in the theater why would they download it instead anyway?

I'm a quality snob. I can't fathom why people would rather watch a disgusting cam or dvd rip instead of paying $5-$10 to see it on a screen and sound system you could only replicate in your own home for a five figure sum. If it's worth seeing at all, it's worth seeing in a theater.

Also, I saw Hateful Eight in 70mm and it was glorious.

More like "We're sorry that the movie industry sends out DVD copies to anyone who ever got an acting union card, we're sorry that the movie industry floods anyone and everyone with dvd copies right before the new years so they can get in on the academy voting, we're sorry that these DVD copies end up making it us and that's how we release a 'perfect' copy, not a movie theater cam job, before the movies come out"

That said, the H8ful Eight was so-so, but I did love the simplicity of it, it literally is shot with 2 scenes and there are like 16 people in the whole movie, 7 of those are only there for a tiny amount.

People in groups are horrible when it comes to saving money. People's desire for something free means they would accept some pretty hideous quality just because it's free.

I'm a quality snob. I can't fathom why people would rather watch a disgusting cam or dvd rip instead of paying $5-$10 to see it on a screen and sound system you could only replicate in your own home for a five figure sum. If it's worth seeing at all, it's worth seeing in a theater.

I'm a quality freak too, and quality includes not having to hear other people barfing and farting while I watch a movie. But I wouldn't ever watch a screener or camrip, or telesync or anything of the sort ever.

I'm a quality freak too, and quality includes not having to hear other people barfing and farting while I watch a movie. But I wouldn't ever watch a screener or camrip, or telesync or anything of the sort ever.

yea for a decent price you can get a good theater experience at home without cell phones and talking and popcorn throwing. Also agree with the cams and TS's. Although back in the day when I had the preproduction of matrix before the musical score was added, that was funny as hell.

Just wondering...Did you pay 5-10$ to see it on 70mm? I didn't it was $15 per person.

FWIW I would rather watch a movie from the comforts of my home. F the smelly sticky overpriced food theater experience.
On the other hand, I will pay a premium to see something in IMAX / 3D with reserved seating. But thats it.

There's no such thing as bad press, so the saying goes. The MPAA should be paying the release group for generating hype and presence.

FWIW I would rather watch a movie from the comforts of my home. F the smelly sticky overpriced food theater experience.
On the other hand, I will pay a premium to see something in IMAX / 3D with reserved seating. But thats it.

We have a place like that here. Reserved seating and the seats are full on recliners. It's good times.

I usually just go on one of my days off which i can easily set to be a weekday 1st showing of a movie no need to buy food or anything get usually a pretty empty theater with people who don't cause a ruckus, for like 8 bucks I don't see why i wouldn't do it, outside of not wanting to spend 8 bucks.

I usually just go on one of my days off which i can easily set to be a weekday 1st showing of a movie no need to buy food or anything get usually a pretty empty theater with people who don't cause a ruckus, for like 8 bucks I don't see why i wouldn't do it, outside of not wanting to spend 8 bucks.

I can think of a few reasons. Have to get dressed on my day off, have to leave the comfort of my home on my day off, have to drive to the nearest theater which is 20 minutes. Have to find parking, have to pay for it, since at most places it's only free for 60 minutes. So all in all I probably waste 5x the price of the ticket including the snacks, the parking, and the gas. And half my day is gone, for what a 90 minute movie, that I could've watched at home, in 90 minutes, without paying any extra.

People in groups are horrible when it comes to saving money. People's desire for something free means they would accept some pretty hideous quality just because it's free.
Sort of like how health care works now, hmm, what an idea: people are f'ing cheap bastards.

you guys really need to start looking for better theaters to go to.

I don't think it's the theaters that are the problem, it's the people in it.

I'd love the option to pay to see a first released movie at home. Recently, I took my daughter to see the Force Awakens. We both liked the movie. However, I bought sodas and a snack. These cost me $20 bucks. Tickets were like $22 total.

So, I'd be willing to buy a legit copy for $50-$75ish? This would be cheaper than me taking a family of four to see the movie. Not too mention, I can pause, rewind, etc.

Also, none of the bad movie experiences you might run into such as people talking/texting/coughing/etc. Surprisingly, I didn't really have any bad people in the audience with the Force Awakens. It was 75% full. The only annoying issue was an usher - not sure what he was doing but he kept staring down an aisle and had a flashlight.

Oh well, I'm way off topic. I just wish we had legal options besides going to the cinema. (And I agree the cinema can offer a better experience than my house but there are pros/cons with each.)

$15 for Hateful Eight in 70mm was a bargain. In fact, given 2 equivalent theaters, one with $10 tickets, and one with $20 tickets, I'd pick the $20 every time. I've found that right around $15 or so, the disruptive crowd gets filtered out, and I'm practically guaranteed a good experience.

I don't think it's the theaters that are the problem, it's the people in it.

Which is part of the choice in theaters. Personally the one I normally go to isn't too bad out of 40 movies I have went to see there I can only think of 2 or 3 times where there was mostly teens in there that were loud and one phones or anything like that. Ideally I would always go to a Alamo drafthouse if I could but that is 2 hours away, which is a little much of a drive to see a movie.

I built a better theater in my house: Comfortable seats, user controlled lighting and temperature, cheap soda, popcorn, wine and beer. I can even bring my dog! Beats going out to a sticky theater any day...

$5-10? Where is this? Partridge, Kansas?

Most movie theaters I've been to have terrible sound. Then they turn it up so loud, because they can't figure out why the lows won't boom, it feels like you're getting shrieked at the whole time. Paying $15 to get tinnitus isn't very appealing to me.

It was a DVD rip, and for people who really want to see something now, they are going to go for it. Also, for people like myself, I want to see if its even any good, as of late I have seen many movies I just walked out of because they were that bad/boring. Should also note I go to the movies often, and have even gone 3-4 times to see the same movie because it was that good.

I also agree with others, I would rather watch the movie at home, I go so often most of the time I go alone, so I am going just to see the movie, not for the "experience" whatever the crap that means, and so I like to see it without noise, kids or missing something because I have to take a piss. Don't get me wrong, I still love going to the movies, and my local place has all over sized screens and an iMAX, but for the most part, I would be fine with my TV or 32" monitor and quality cans, as you can have just as good picture and sound quality at home. Give me the option to download full resolution movies on release day and I will gladly pay $10-15 for that download.

And 10k+ for a home system? Good God what are you buying? The highest priced 75-Inch 4k TV and highend Klipsch sound system? Even that can be had for under 10k.

I'd love the option to pay to see a first released movie at home. Recently, I took my daughter to see the Force Awakens. We both liked the movie. However, I bought sodas and a snack. These cost me $20 bucks. Tickets were like $22 total.
I saw The Force Awakens at ILM in a screening room (held a few hundred people), and right as you start to walk in there was a sign that said "No food or drinks past this point", the floor was carpeted (high traffic stuff) and it felt good, this was a place you go to watch movies, not a place for snacking out in front of the TV. Sure it's hard to tell your kids no, but maybe no is a good word, eat before the movie, eat after the movie, no need to eat during the movie.

It was great, no sounds of crunching popcorn, no overwhelming stench like the concession stand was 5 feet away, and... no one getting up to go to the bathroom because they decide that drinking a 32 oz soda when you have a bladder the size of a walnut is a smart thing to do.

I saw The Force Awakens at ILM in a screening room (held a few hundred people), and right as you start to walk in there was a sign that said "No food or drinks past this point", the floor was carpeted (high traffic stuff) and it felt good, this was a place you go to watch movies, not a place for snacking out in front of the TV. Sure it's hard to tell your kids no, but maybe no is a good word, eat before the movie, eat after the movie, no need to eat during the movie.

It was great, no sounds of crunching popcorn, no overwhelming stench like the concession stand was 5 feet away, and... no one getting up to go to the bathroom because they decide that drinking a 32 oz soda when you have a bladder the size of a walnut is a smart thing to do.

That sounds like an amazing experience!

Which is part of the choice in theaters. Personally the one I normally go to isn't too bad out of 40 movies I have went to see there I can only think of 2 or 3 times where there was mostly teens in there that were loud and one phones or anything like that. Ideally I would always go to a Alamo drafthouse if I could but that is 2 hours away, which is a little much of a drive to see a movie.
OK but I'm not in your area. Anfd I can tell you that when I was 20-30 years old ppl actually knew how to behave and show some respect.
Now the old grumpy me actually gets pissed off when these "kids" throw shit around just like monkeys. Several incidents in Nortern Europe has led me to believe that this is all the parents fault. I have a kid that is 1.5 years old and once/if he tries to pull shit like that I'm gonna go old scool. If you let your kids go wild, that's what you get.

I built a better theater in my house: Comfortable seats, user controlled lighting and temperature, cheap soda, popcorn, wine and beer. I can even bring my dog! Beats going out to a sticky theater any day...

Have you got pics? sounds like you are living the life

Back