release dates for PB's?

fryea

n00b
Does anyone know when the next gen powerbooks are slated to come out? Around when did the last generation come out? Im thinking about snagging one of those 12" ibooks... but for only 400$ more the powerbook sure is tantalizing, but i want the latest of the lateset, even if it does mean waiting. So... when when when?!

I would also read the FAQ....there is no set date or time frame as to when new products are released...they come out when they come out....we can usually guess when that is going to be based on availibility of the older product at the apple online store....if it used to take 1-3 days to get the product and now there is a 2-3 week wait..chances are that particular product is going to be updated and anybody ordering the older version will be upgraded to the new one instead...in your case since you are looking at a 12" powerbook (don't know why unless you need to be able to burn DVD's) the iBook I think is a better bang for the buck...you can get a 14" 1Gig G4 with all the fixings of 640Meg RAM, 60Gig HD, Airport Extreme Card, Bluetooth Module for $1668 and a 12" powerbook with the same features for $1803 (well the RAM would be 768 instead of 640 but other than that they are very close) and you pay more for the powerbook just because it is a powerbook

Originally posted by fryea
Does anyone know when the next gen powerbooks are slated to come out? Around when did the last generation come out? Im thinking about snagging one of those 12" ibooks... but for only 400$ more the powerbook sure is tantalizing, but i want the latest of the lateset, even if it does mean waiting. So... when when when?!

A birdie told me next gen G5 powerbooks were slated for January... 2005.

Well you must have been on some really potent stuff if you heard a bird talk to you, and it knew about Apple release dates whew.

I still stand by my stock answer which is it will be released between NOW and THEN and not before that!

Originally posted by Instigator
Well you must have been on some really potent stuff if you heard a bird talk to you, and it knew about Apple release dates whew.

As a matter of fact.... I was :D

A friend told me of a guy that recently quit apple and was releasing some info on a site. Whether that's true or not, but it does contain a wealth of information.

Originally posted by versello
A friend told me of a guy that recently quit apple and was releasing some info on a site. Whether that's true or not, but it does contain a wealth of information.

"My best-friend's sister's boyfriend heard from this guy, who knows this kid, who's going out with this girl, who said she saw Ferris pass out at 31-Flavors last night... I guess it's pretty intense..."

I'd go by Giggle's estimate... sometime between now and later. Any other info (except a glitch on Apple's own website..) is pure speculation/conjecture/rumor.

Prophet, that's pretty bad you can quote that entire line, maybe it's time you step outside, did you know there is sunlight out there? ;)

what is sunlight....every time somebody asks me what the weather is like here I say either airconditioned or cubical with a chance of flourescent

Keep in mind that the powerbooks have the 7447 G5 processor - about a 15% speed boost at the same mhz rating, i think..?

Originally posted by Methodical
Keep in mind that the powerbooks have the 7447 G5 processor - about a 15% speed boost at the same mhz rating, i think..?

and here I though we had decided the G5 powerbooks had not been released :D

G4, G5, whats the difference... :)
I guess I cant separate reality from fantasy...damn.

More to the point, how geeky do you have to be to fantasize about G5 powerbooks...

although on a related note, the genii at ars have come up with evidence that the new .09 970FX has the same power consumption at 1.4Ghz as a 7447 at 1.1 ghz..... YIPPIE.

but then again, the current apple system controller uses 30 watts. DAMN.

A pretty significant difference between the iBooks and Powerbooks of same CPU clock frequency is the amount of L2 cache -- the Powerbooks come with twice as much (512k vs. 256k). Depending on what you want to do with the computer, that is going to be very important.

yes the new G4 CPUs have twice the L2 cache but no L3 where as the old G4 CPUs (ibook G4) have a smaller L2 but also have an L3 cache but you are correct in the fact that the newer G4's are a little quicker

According to Apple's site there is no mention of the new G4 iBooks having any cache beyond L2.

I will check in a couple of hours...I just got up so my brain is still not working fully yet ;)

Whenever you buy mac´s though, don´t ever EVER do it right before an Apple Expo of some sort. Read this sad story:

First time I got into mac (that´s the reason I didn´t think about expos and release dates etc) I yanked out my wallet and hit myself up with a Blue G3 350 mhz with all the extras and I paid a FORTUNE :mad: hehe... I was happy until a month later my friend emailed me and said: "Check apple.com"

My dumb a** did and BAM, there was the new G4 and I did not get any refund or exhange :eek:

...yes, this was a terrible story, but no matter what: Get a mac, just be smart. :cool:

ok, so with that in mind, when will the next mac expos take place? any ideas? or do they not release that information as well?

Originally posted by fryea
ok, so with that in mind, when will the next mac expos take place? any ideas? or do they not release that information as well?
The next Mac Expo afaik, is June we get the WWDC (we got the Power Mac G5 last year) and July will have MacWorld Expo.

However, it could happen at anytime. Just because it is coming up; there is a good chance something will be released. However, at no point does anyone know. Your best bet is to follow rumors - but keep it at that - they are rumors.

Apple has sometimes released products that no one knew about and came when no one was expecting it.

However - know this - products will come out between now and then.

Back