Rejuvenate my android

colore

Limp Gawd
hello!
my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is getting very slow
is there a hardware degradation that I can do nothing about and I need to buy a new phone?
or there is someething that I can do?
if I need format, how do I do it given the huge amount of settings, apps, files, data I have?
thanks!

You may want to download a utility to see if any apps are grinding away in the background which causes the phone to feel sluggish. Something like OS Monitor - Android Apps on Google Play

If RAM is tight, it could be unloading things continuously then resuming apps as you switch back, which would also feel sluggish. The same utility above shows memory usage to check that out.

Also see this page for a couple of steps that could free up RAM on Samsung's custom UI: How to Fix Galaxy Note 2 that Runs Very Slow | Seber Tech

Lastly, if the root cause is too much crap loading up, you might want to consider uninstalling some things or replacing it with something equivalent that is less memory hungry. The specs for that model should be fine for normal usage if it has 2GB memory and a quad core 1.6GHz Cortex-A9 CPU.

It's partly a combination between how old it is and not running newer versions of Android real well.

Cleaning up the system or reformatting are your best bets to regain a little pep.

You may want to download a utility to see if any apps are grinding away in the background which causes the phone to feel sluggish. Something like OS Monitor - Android Apps on Google Play

If RAM is tight, it could be unloading things continuously then resuming apps as you switch back, which would also feel sluggish. The same utility above shows memory usage to check that out.

Also see this page for a couple of steps that could free up RAM on Samsung's custom UI: How to Fix Galaxy Note 2 that Runs Very Slow | Seber Tech

Lastly, if the root cause is too much crap loading up, you might want to consider uninstalling some things or replacing it with something equivalent that is less memory hungry. The specs for that model should be fine for normal usage if it has 2GB memory and a quad core 1.6GHz Cortex-A9 CPU.

that OS monitor is useless program, why you made me install it?
Just to check my ram usage? that can be done without that idiot program

Buy a new phone. The Note2 is just underpowered and unsupported and glitchy compared to anything more recent.

Buy a Nexus 5X cheap.

It's partly a combination between how old it is and not running newer versions of Android real well.

Cleaning up the system or reformatting are your best bets to regain a little pep.

Not really the thing is just old. Even when new it was lag prone. The newer versions of android (4.4 for example) ran better on it than the stock firmware (4.1) because they don't need as much resources.

I used to help dev for the Note 2. What a PITA device.

that OS monitor is useless program, why you made me install it?
Just to check my ram usage? that can be done without that idiot program
It shows CPU utilization per running application. It's an easy way to see if any background applications are eating up CPU time.

And you're welcome.

It shows CPU utilization per running application. It's an easy way to see if any background applications are eating up CPU time.

And you're welcome.

The hardware is old and slow. Even when new the Note 2 suffered from lag. All checking applications does is amuse idle curiosity. Ending those processes won't make the device run as well as a budget tier current handset

And you're welcome.

OK there are multiple entries with various percentages of ram usage, what do you want me to do with that? to uninstall apps that I obviously want to use since I have them installed?

the thread purpose is to find a real solution

Buy a new phone. The Note2 is just underpowered and unsupported and glitchy compared to anything more recent.

Buy a Nexus 5X cheap.

Not really the thing is just old. Even when new it was lag prone. The newer versions of android (4.4 for example) ran better on it than the stock firmware (4.1) because they don't need as much resources.

I used to help dev for the Note 2. What a PITA device.

is the battery good? is the screen good under sunlight?
these are my main concerns

The hardware is old and slow. Even when new the Note 2 suffered from lag. All checking applications does is amuse idle curiosity. Ending those processes won't make the device run as well as a budget tier current handset
Of course it won't run like newer hardware. It has sufficient memory and an acceptable quad core processor for the Android version it runs. There's little reason why Jelly Bean or Kit Kat should run slow on it (I have a tablet with the same memory size and quad core CPU running Kit Kat and it's not at all laggy). Basic troubleshooting is in my first post above. The slow down problem is common, and steps to clear up some accumulated cruft seems to be easy to do... and may even solve the problem. The next thing is to check for low memory, which suspends and possibly pushes apps out of RAM, requiring a lot of cycles to bring it back up. That would make the device sluggish too. Lastly, some apps just suck and eat a significant amount of CPU cycles.

Had the OP asked for suggestions on a replacement for an older phone, I wouldn't have answered like I did. But by now I'm regretting offering any input because the help does not seem appreciated or even wanted. ;)

Last edited:
The battery of the 5x is good not the best.

As for the note 2
there is no real way of speeding it up but the best things could be trimming out as many apps as you can each one installed will slow it down as android tries to load every app it can into memory to give a better feeling as each app in memory opens quicker... Using something like titanium backup to freeze seldom used or straight up uninstall apps you never use would be best.

As for replacement like most electronics they are just getting faster. I would wait and grab a note 7 if you need the spen if not any phone based on the SD 820 is going to be way way faster. I am digging the Moto z the backpack options are nice and the build quality is good.

The note 7 does have 3 issues that keep me from liking it the gorilla glass 5 is softer to be more impact resistant thus it scratches easier. And it is currently suffering a battery issue recall that requires replacing the phone rather that just the battery. Then there is the curved glass screen protectors have issue fitting curves I like glass screen protectors and with the softer glass I won't be going naked if I ever own one.

Had the OP asked for suggestions on a replacement for an older phone, I wouldn't have answered like I did. But by now I'm regretting offering any input because the help does not seem appreciated or even wanted. ;)

that's unfair, so you don't give me a chance to feedback the help

Back