Regular Temps for Macbooks

nyczxplizit

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what the regular temperature for a macbook should be. I use the istat pro widget and it shows that my CPU A temp is always around 53 - 58 degrees celsius. Is this normal is way too high? Please let me know. Thanks

Mine is always in that range, it's a Core Duo model and I've replaced the stock goop with AS5.

Did it make a difference?

I run my MBP at full load 24/7 and it's about 75C (give or take a few).

Dropped by about 4C overall. I assume you fold to keep your machine at load all the time?

I know many people with MacBooks, and they all run about 60c and not one has failed because of heat. One of them failed, but it was the touchpad, and I'm sure that had nothing to do with heat, but it was replaced under AppleCare.

then why are people so concerned with heat?

The heat when it's on your lap, when you're using it? Comfort?

That 4C that mine dropped really made it nicer to use in my bed for studying.

The heat when it's on your lap, when you're using it? Comfort?

That 4C that mine dropped really made it nicer to use in my bed for studying.

That I can see as a help. I have learned from my previous notebooks that they are not meant for my lap. I actually think that they havent been called laptops ( by manufacturers at least) in a long time.

F@H for me pauses when I'm on battery power, my laptop gets very cool then.

CPU usage drops to almost minimal when I'm not on battery power (duh, because I'll usually be reading /. and/or chatting on Adium).

The laptop is (figuratively) ice cold.

I'll get temps @ idle next time I'm on battery.

On battery I usually get a bit below 50C (using CoolBook to lock clock and voltage to 1000/0.95). On A/C, it's around 60C (same 1000/0.95). Under load, it's anywhere from 65-70 (locked at 2000/1.10). I don't use any of the fan controllers.

F@H for me pauses when I'm on battery power, my laptop gets very cool then.

CPU usage drops to almost minimal when I'm not on battery power (duh, because I'll usually be reading /. and/or chatting on Adium).

The laptop is (figuratively) ice cold.

I'll get temps @ idle next time I'm on battery.

On idle I'm at 48C, just internet browsing and slashdot.

If you're real worried, you can pick up smcFanControl--it allows you to speed up and slow down your fans. I use it when I'm gaming to keep temps down.

If you're real worried, you can pick up smcFanControl--it allows you to speed up and slow down your fans. I use it when I'm gaming to keep temps down.
Yeah, I use smcFanControl all the time. I know that the processor is designed to run happily well past 70 degrees, but I prefer it to be a bit cooler, especially as I often use it on my lap. I have the minimum fan speed raised from 1800 to 3200, & I get idle temps of >48, which is much more comfortable.

You know... after today's battery performance update my CPU reads 14C less? Hmm.

You know... after today's battery performance update my CPU reads 14C less? Hmm.

Does it feel cooler? I use Hardware Monitor, and I know that some of the sensors are just plain different. For example, what smcFanControl will report as the CPU is about 10-15C hotter than what the computer says the "core" is operating at. It's ridiculous, but if you grab Hardware Monitor, you'll see what I mean.

My guess is, Apple switched some internal naming of the sensors so that smcFanControl reads the other sensor and the CPU is actually no cooler than before.

Does it feel cooler? I use Hardware Monitor, and I know that some of the sensors are just plain different. For example, what smcFanControl will report as the CPU is about 10-15C hotter than what the computer says the "core" is operating at. It's ridiculous, but if you grab Hardware Monitor, you'll see what I mean.

My guess is, Apple switched some internal naming of the sensors so that smcFanControl reads the other sensor and the CPU is actually no cooler than before.

It feels cooler on AC power but the same when on battery. I think something is just different in the way it charges.

Update: WAY cooler to the touch; not even warm anymore

It feels cooler on AC power but the same when on battery. I think something is just different in the way it charges.

Update: WAY cooler to the touch; not even warm anymore

Hardware Monior says temps fell about 5C on charger.

/shrug

What do I know? ;)

Hardware Monior says temps fell about 5C on charger.

/shrug

What do I know? ;)

It seems that smcFanControl is still reporting the correct temps for me.

Back