Regcleaner 4.3 on WinXP SP2 won't run

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
Regcleaner 4.3.780 works on WinXP SP1, but it doesn't run on SP2. After installation, and starting it, it just does nothing. I can see it running in task manager, but nothing is happening. Later on, I set it to run on Win98 compatibility mode, but each time it starts, it initializes like it was running for the very first time.

The single feature that I really like about this program is the "AGE" column. Whenever I install a new program, it indicates all the "new" vs. "old" entries made.

Is there a new program out there that will work on WinXP SP2 that also has the "AGE" column?

Has the registry structure changed so much in SP2 ?

EDIT
------
found it. jv16 has the equivalent, but it is called software manager instead of regcleaner.

CCleaner, formerly known as CrapCleaner, and the new king of the Registry cleaners.

RegCleaner is pretty old nowadays and not quite as updated as it used to be. CCleaner is pretty much the best one available, and of course the best part of all: it's free.

ccleaner doesnt clean the regisrty fully. After running ccleaner i've run regscrubXP and its found a bunch of stuff still.

If i remember correctly, regcleaner has problems with HT, X2, D, DC, C2D cpus, but runs fine on single core cpus, someone correct me if mistaken :D

oldmx

I've used Regcleaner for years too, It's one of the first apps I install after the OS, just changed platforms from AMD to Intel Mobo & a C2D, and now Regcleaner will not run .... shame coz t was a great prog!

Regcleaner WILL run, you just need to disable the second core. To do this:

1. Launch Regcleaner
2. Right Click on the process name
3. Select set affinity
4. Uncheck Core 2 and click ok.

You can now use Regcleaner as normal. I have not found out a way to keep the processor affinity settings, so you need to do this each time. Oh well, at least you are still able to use Regcleaner if you want to.

Is there possibly a switch that can be put into the command line for the executable that sets the processor affinity?

I uncheck Core 2, click ok - but then what.

The Reg Cleaner ui doesn't appear, so I'm still stuck.

Regcleaner WILL run, you just need to disable the second core. To do this:

1. Launch Regcleaner
2. Right Click on the process name
3. Select set affinity
4. Uncheck Core 2 and click ok.

You can now use Regcleaner as normal. I have not found out a way to keep the processor affinity settings, so you need to do this each time. Oh well, at least you are still able to use Regcleaner if you want to.

Is there possibly a switch that can be put into the command line for the executable that sets the processor affinity?

I've had the same problems with regcleaner on more than one core setups ..where like you , the ui doesn't even come up or it will blink on for a split second and then in task manager it shows that it's running , but it's not ..at least not that you can see anyways ..

I use CCleaner (run the registry portion 3 times)
and RegScrubXP ..and then NTREGOPT (part of Erunt registry back up proggie of which I use over System Restore on XP boxes)

I uncheck Core 2, click ok - but then what.

The Reg Cleaner ui doesn't appear, so I'm still stuck.

That is strange... The Reg Cleaner UI appeared for me. I just didn't touch anything in the program until i unchecked core 2 under processor affinity.

I wish I could help you more from here, however what I posted worked for me. :(

Ya, it's always something. Guess I'll try CCleaner now, as I have a Vista box I have to build, so need to re-direct my time.

That is strange... The Reg Cleaner UI appeared for me. I just didn't touch anything in the program until i unchecked core 2 under processor affinity.

I wish I could help you more from here, however what I posted worked for me. :(

Is there any reason to use a Registry cleaner unless you're specifically having problems due to old Registry entries? If it contained masses of junk data then maybe so, but a few kilobytes isn't likely to change anything?

Back