Refurbished or New?

Blake1066

n00b
I'm currently doing research on NewEgg to buy a new GPU for my older Z170-A MB, and I keep seeing "Refurbished" as an option for considerably less money. I've only bought new in the (distant) past, and was curious to get feedback on the refurbished option. As always, any and all (relevant) opinions welcome! TIA

The GPU will be tested so you know that it will at least work at the listed specifications.

However, it will be old and thus it might break sooner, relative to you. I could imagine a GPU could easily last twenty years or more.
Just maintain it and keep it clean and it ought to last until you want to upgrade.

Refurbed by who? If it's sold shipped by Newegg or the manufacturer then it's down to the $ versus warranty, (value for money), imo. If it's a third party seller then it better be a very deep discount cause there is no warranty, really. Maybe an immediate return if it's DOA. But 45 days from now, not so much. Maybe it qualifies for an extended warranty through a third party? I've never done that, myself.

Some ppl return GPU's because they are fishing for a golden sample and if they get one that doesn't OC well then back it goes. So, if you are running stock and get it directly from Newegg you are likely in good shape and can save some $.

I've had great luck with open box and refurbs from some retailers/manufacturers. Some third party are hit and miss. I save over a thousand on my personal laptop getting an open box from BB. 50% off a 75" tv from Amazon. Saved hundreds maybe thousands on various open box/refurbs at Microcenter. EVGA B-Stock - when you could get a deal.

So many resellers and has a politic to accept the return of a perfectly fine product return to please potential customer, that must have created an vast excellent offering of refurbished product that are good as new, all come down to the different warranty offered.

Back