Refurb SB X3 DAC at Creative for 80 bucks free shipping

Ordered the SB X G5.

Might've gone for the X3 DAC, but it only has optical out, not in.

I grabbed one of these last round as well. The first had to be exchanged but the replacement has been great.

I got it last time the refurbs were out and I've had no trouble with mine. It's great. There are a few issues with the software not autoloading at startup and sometimes disconnecting, but there is a fix out there, I just haven't bothered to work on it.

Thanks for this, I think I'm gonna grab one to try out. I'll be pairing it with Beyerdynamic T1's, my Mayflower O2's power jack broke down and I just have not had enough time to solder another one on. One day.
I can’t compliment my G6 enough. Solid hardware and fantastic sound. I doubt I’ll ever go back to internal sound cards.

I have the g6 powering senn 660s and absolutely love em.

I can’t compliment my G6 enough. Solid hardware and fantastic sound. I doubt I’ll ever go back to internal sound cards.
So I think the amplifier on this is plenty capable. It drives my headphones with no issues. Sound is probably on the warm side, since, compared to my Mayfield O2 DAC/AMP there is much less sibilance. Mic slot worked with no issue.

However I still can't get rid of my sound card, mainly because I don't understand: how do you use the optical out on this? When I first got it, the optical audio out had light coming out of it and when I hooked up the included optical cable, it lit up going to the receiver with no issue. Right now, it always powers on with that port seemingly shut off. I might need to download the software for this...? I don't want all that bloat though.

I also encountered a "USB resources ran out" error or whatever, which is kind of annoying. That's part of why I don't just have a bunch of external things instead of a sound card... we'll see if I can get all of that solved...
What dac do they use? Sabre?
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/creative-sound-blasterx-g6-review-audiophile-inside-a-gamer-body/

If you mean the G6, according to this review it's the Cirrus Logic CS43131 DAC chip.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I like the X3, it's been working pretty well for me. Mainly got it because of the analog 5.1 outputs and dedicated headphone amp.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So I think the amplifier on this is plenty capable. It drives my headphones with no issues. Sound is probably on the warm side, since, compared to my Mayfield O2 DAC/AMP there is much less sibilance. Mic slot worked with no issue.

However I still can't get rid of my sound card, mainly because I don't understand: how do you use the optical out on this? When I first got it, the optical audio out had light coming out of it and when I hooked up the included optical cable, it lit up going to the receiver with no issue. Right now, it always powers on with that port seemingly shut off. I might need to download the software for this...? I don't want all that bloat though.

I also encountered a "USB resources ran out" error or whatever, which is kind of annoying. That's part of why I don't just have a bunch of external things instead of a sound card... we'll see if I can get all of that solved...

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/creative-sound-blasterx-g6-review-audiophile-inside-a-gamer-body/

If you mean the G6, according to this review it's the Cirrus Logic CS43131 DAC chip.
Sorry mate, I don’t use the optical port. IMO the software works well for what it does. It’s easy to use and keeps the firmware and drivers up to date.

Back