Refurb Raptor 74GB $154 shipped

ashmedai

[H]F Junkie
Link

And please for the love of god, just get one. Anyone that gets two for a RAID will be shot, and then ridiculed. Or maybe the other way around.

There's this misconception going around that putting two in RAID 0 will be faster for gaming and such. Plus a smaller group thinking RAID 1 will make it significantly more stable.

RAID 0 is a method that sacrifices stability in exchange for a higher sequential transfer rate and a few other things like that. It does pretty much nothing for a desktop.

RAID 1 increases redundancy, which is a good thing for a server, but again does nothing for a desktop.

One is nice, two is a waste of money.

ashmedai said:
RAID 0 is a method that sacrifices stability in exchange for a higher sequential transfer rate and a few other things like that. It does pretty much nothing for a desktop.

RAID 1 increases redundancy, which is a good thing for a server, but again does nothing for a desktop.

Right............sure dude.

i saw that there a few days ago and was thinking about it.....but their policy on refurbs suck, i'm not sure what their refurbs are...at newegg they say that they are manufactured refurbished or sumthin so they have been checked...but are these just customer returned and unchecked?

hmmm, since I already have 2 in RAID 0, am i gonna get shot or ridiculed. For me money wasnt a big concern when i bought them (i just didnt wanna deal with scsi) and I love how fast they are. Do I need two? No, does anyone need them? No, does anyone really need 2 6800 Ultras and a fx-55? No, but you know what, its just being able to say that I have two of them and they fly like a mo-fo. :D

I would rather pay $15 more and get a none-refurb one. Never liked the idea of refurb HDDs. But I was raped by the deathstar drives, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

yeah, deals going around for this lowest ive seen was 165, i would wait for a new one instead of refurb to be around that low..

ashmedai said:
At least until your refurbished drive crashes...

I would rather (and did) pay $15-$20 more for a brand new one. This isn't what I would call HOT

Steel Chicken said:
not a hot deal. wait around, and you can get em for less new.

Actually I haven't seen a major sale or rebate for these things since shortly after they came out when I got mine...saw this though and thought I'd share. It's discounted enough some people might care, if you dislike it so much, don't bump it.

i dont dislike it, its just not a hot deal. theres no rule that says people can't say "i think you are incorrect in saying this is a hot deal". its an opinion, like any other.

people of course can make their own buying decisions.

Not intending to single you out, just a little grumpy that a large chunk of the thread amounts to "hmm, this sucks" without adding much new. Just quoted you because you were more concise. One of these times I'm going to learn to stop posting refurbs...

well theres nothing wrong with refurbs per se, but if its a refurb, then the price should be lower. thats all i am saying. thats a Hot price for new, which is what I got mine for.

Steel Chicken said:
well theres nothing wrong with refurbs per se, but if its a refurb, then the price should be lower. thats all i am saying. thats a Hot price for new, which is what I got mine for.

yep, i've seen the 74gb raptors in the $150 twice in the last 6 months. NEW

I got a refurbed 36gb. Died on me after a month. I RMAed it and got a new one.

Not worth the hastle. Buy your HDD's new.

KuJaX said:
yep, i've seen the 74gb raptors in the $150 twice in the last 6 months. NEW

Coolies. Anywhere in particular or just Newegg sales? If you don't know of any right now, these say they still have WD's warranty so aside from a possibly slightly higher chance of DOA, I'd think it's a good option barring a similar price for new showing up. Maybe I just have good luck with refurbs working out for me. Besides which these are going to be gone shortly anyway.

Back