Refunds For MobileMe Subscribers?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I find it odd that Apple, knowing it was going to kill off MobileMe during this week's iCloud announcement, continued auto-billing people $99 for MobileMe. Now the company is refusing refunds to people that were auto-billed $200 just two weeks ago.

That is, unless you paid $198 less than two weeks ago. I contacted Apple and chatted with a support staffer and then their manager to no avail. Although both said they understood my frustration all I could get was Apple's company line that they could not refund me for my service unless I cancelled my account. If I cancel my account, of 8 years, I lose my business email address. I used their service, the way they wanted it used and now I'm feeling ripped off.

You would think Apple users would be used to the company writing off entire systems by now.

You're right! Its not...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/apple-will-refund-some-money-to-mobileme-users/

If you want to keep MobileMe until iCloud comes out, you can do that and still get some of your money back. Just cancel your MobileMe service in the fall, once iCloud arrives, and you'll get a pro-rated refund depending on how long ago you renewed.
Still get screwed on storage. Yes iCloud is free but its only 5GB. I have 20GB with my current MobileMe account. Guess I should start unloading my e-mail and iDisk to get below 5GB before the switch.

Id gladly still pay the $99 if I can keep my 20GB.

Still get screwed on storage. Yes iCloud is free but its only 5GB. I have 20GB with my current MobileMe account. Guess I should start unloading my e-mail and iDisk to get below 5GB before the switch.

Id gladly still pay the $99 if I can keep my 20GB.

Let's hope they offer additional storage space for a price (MS does it with Hotmail).

It was worth the money when these users paid for it, at the time they let their account renew... They felt the features offered were worth $99.

It's like going to the store today, seeing a Intel 2500K for for $180, and in two weeks price drop/rebate/sell and they sell it for $150 instead, reverse grandfathered price match? Umm nope, and I wouldn't expect them to...

And Apple is planning to prorate, refund when the service is stopped... It sounds to me like Apple is doing the honorable thing here. I fail to see the issue.

If it was four weeks, he would have been upset if he got billed 5 weeks ago. There's got a to be a cutoff somewhere unfortunately.

Credit or Debit Cards as official credit cards. If you did not enter a PIN then all the benefits of being a VISA card holder applies to you. I believe it maybe the same with MasterCard, but I know that if you paid like a normal VISA cafd with no debit card number and/or did not select the debit option you are protected.

Some sites put up a Radio button Credit/Debit and no pn number and you will have to contact VISA for information on getting money back

:rolleyes:

Call Apple right now and tell them you want a refund for the auto-billing last week...see what they tell you.

*hint* It rhymes with "go tuck your shelfs." :D

They will gladly give it to you. If you call them up and cancel, you'll get payment refunded. The problem is the guy in the article wants to be refunded and keep the service. He wants it for free.

Credit or Debit Cards as official credit cards. If you did not enter a PIN then all the benefits of being a VISA card holder applies to you. I believe it maybe the same with MasterCard, but I know that if you paid like a normal VISA cafd with no debit card number and/or did not select the debit option you are protected.

Some sites put up a Radio button Credit/Debit and no pn number and you will have to contact VISA for information on getting money back

Money back for what?

you're still getting the service you paid for, not sure i understand the issue.

I'm split on this here, I look at this like HD with dishnetwork and directv. They charge people $10 / month for that. Then they switched it, new customers get it free. Those of us that are old customers are still forced to pay $10. I'm in that boat and don't like that i'm paying for what others get free. Same here. This guy was charged $198 for MobileMe. The next week it became a free service, he called to get his money back and they told him that would just need to cancel his service and they would give him his money back. That is what people don't like is that they are paying money for a service that any of us could now go and signup for free of charge.

:rolleyes:
Call Apple right now and tell them you want a refund for the auto-billing last week...see what they tell you.
*hint* It rhymes with "go tuck your shelfs." :D

I think it rhymes with "Apple shall refund the applicable fees paid by you upon initial online sign up or renewal of the Service provided Apple receives such refund request within forty-five (45) days of the billing date for any such fees." :D

Money back for what?

I'm split on this here, I look at this like HD with dishnetwork and directv. They charge people $10 / month for that. Then they switched it, new customers get it free. Those of us that are old customers are still forced to pay $10. I'm in that boat and don't like that i'm paying for what others get free. Same here. This guy was charged $198 for MobileMe. The next week it became a free service, he called to get his money back and they told him that would just need to cancel his service and they would give him his money back. That is what people don't like is that they are paying money for a service that any of us could now go and signup for free of charge.

Sort of like that, but a few differences. The service he paid for did not become a free service. In fact, they stopped allowing people to sign up for it. There will be a new service in a few months that will be free and will incorporate most of the features for the old one, plus more. Once the new service starts, people with the old one can transition to it and then get a prorated refund of their payment.

You are correct, new people can't sign up. So yes this really isn't much of a problem then. I wasn't reading all the details, just seen all the people bitching about how it is now free whereas they were having to wait for the new service to come about. Which appears isn't the case, new people can't sign up unitl the new servcie is in place so nobody is getting MobileMe for free unless they have a contact expiring between now and june of next year.

So now they've gone from iTools to .Mac, .Mac to MobileMe, and now MobileMe to iCloud. I wonder how long their "new" iteration of online services will last this time?

Two, three years tops, maybe?

no clue why anyone would ever put a BUSINESS email on a mobile me account... really retarded... even for an apple user. (I'm dumb too, I have an iphone/ & ipad, just not that dumb)

I don't understand why Apple users seem to feel entitled to refunds every time Apple comes out with a new piece of gear or a new service. Oh, they dropped the price on the iPhone so everyone who bought it before wants a refund. Oh they are eliminating MobileMe so everyone that used it before wants a refund. WTF,O? The Motorola Atrix I bought on day one now can be bought for half the price - where's my refund? Waa waa waa! Grow up people.

I don't understand why Apple users seem to feel entitled to refunds every time Apple comes out with a new piece of gear or a new service. Oh, they dropped the price on the iPhone so everyone who bought it before wants a refund. Oh they are eliminating MobileMe so everyone that used it before wants a refund. WTF,O? The Motorola Atrix I bought on day one now can be bought for half the price - where's my refund? Waa waa waa! Grow up people.

This. Every time an iphone comes out they bitch about how as early adopters they get screwed because they can't upgrade to the new iphone for cheap. We all sign the damn 2 year contracts and can't always get a new phone every year. They are so f***ing entitled.

no clue why anyone would ever put a BUSINESS email on a mobile me account... really retarded... even for an apple user. (I'm dumb too, I have an iphone/ & ipad, just not that dumb)
Apple's going to have to pull off something impossibly impressive to get me to ditch Google Apps. Some do, however, want the @me.com address for one reason or another.

Is it cruel that I belive you deserve to be screwed for using Apple service ? :)

It was worth the money when these users paid for it, at the time they let their account renew... They felt the features offered were worth $99.

It's like going to the store today, seeing a Intel 2500K for for $180, and in two weeks price drop/rebate/sell and they sell it for $150 instead, reverse grandfathered price match? Umm nope, and I wouldn't expect them to...

And Apple is planning to prorate, refund when the service is stopped... It sounds to me like Apple is doing the honorable thing here. I fail to see the issue.

Actually alot of stores do just that.

Back