Reformat Hard Drive or Not?

Zephyer13

n00b
Hi, everybody! I just got a new ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard. Of course, most of the DIMM slots were broken when it arrived, so I could only run with 1 stick in. I was wondering if I can send this motherboard back and get the same exact carbon copy replacement of it from ASUS (assuming I get one back since ASUS has HORRID customer support) and not have to reformat the hard drive. I have read that if you are just replacing a motherboard with the same exact model, you would not have to reformat, but I just wanted to make sure this is backed up to avoid any future conflicts. Thank you!!!!

Should be fine, never had to do it with a direct replacement AFAIK.

So it will prompt me when I boot up for the first time to put in the activation code is what your saying? I have that handy, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks everyone :D

Hi, everybody! I just got a new ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard. Of course, most of the DIMM slots were broken when it arrived, so I could only run with 1 stick in. I was wondering if I can send this motherboard back and get the same exact carbon copy replacement of it from ASUS (assuming I get one back since ASUS has HORRID customer support) and not have to reformat the hard drive. I have read that if you are just replacing a motherboard with the same exact model, you would not have to reformat, but I just wanted to make sure this is backed up to avoid any future conflicts. Thank you!!!!
If you don't mind me asking, how many sticks where you trying to run in it?

It runs with 1, but everytime I put my second stick in it doesnt boot. Im running with 1 now

You have to do the RMA though retailer, last time I tried RMAing something Asus it was like that.
You dont send it to them, you send it to the place you bought it from.

Around a month ago I completed an RMA with Asus through their website. It was a quick and painless process. when you fill out the online form be sure to put in as much information as possible and everything that you did to determine that the board was bad. I included that I had tested all of the other hardware in an identical board without any problems.

I didn't have to provide any receipt or proof of purchase as the RMA/warranty was tied to the serial number.

you don't have to reformat but you will have to reactivate windows 7 for sure
So it will prompt me when I boot up for the first time to put in the activation code is what your saying? I have that handy, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks everyone :D

I did this recently with a Gigabyte board. Board crapped out, got an identical replacement, installed it and everything was fine with the installation. But I did need to activate Windows 7, and I had to call the 800 number to do it since the online activation failed since I'd just activated that copy a month before with original install, I guess. Not a big deal, just a lot of numbers to key or speak into the phone. Takes 5 minutes.

I did this recently with a Gigabyte board. Board crapped out, got an identical replacement, installed it and everything was fine with the installation. But I did need to activate Windows 7, and I had to call the 800 number to do it since the online activation failed since I'd just activated that copy a month before with original install, I guess. Not a big deal, just a lot of numbers to key or speak into the phone. Takes 5 minutes.
Agreed, no need to reformat the HD, activate W7 if requested.

Now on the other hand, if you have transferred HD's from other builds in the past, you will be amazed what a new clean install will do for performance.

It runs with 1, but everytime I put my second stick in it doesnt boot. Im running with 1 now
Just so you know, some of these Asus boards require you to run memory in particular DIMM slots. Check the manual to make sure you are putting your sticks in the proper slot (if you have less than 4 memory sticks).

Back