Refinishing Beige Case - Restoring that Classic Look

PoW

Limp Gawd
I came across an old Apple SE a physics professor of mine had lying around her office and I knew I had to have it. The modding potential for such a thing was just to great to leave it sitting there unused. Anyhow she agreed to part ways with it.

It's Beige exterior is in need of a little help, it has DEAD written in blue marker on one side which was put there after it was dropped (Broke the monitor). As a result of this drop one corner is slightly flattened.

I need to refinish the corner first of all, not entirely sure how that is going to be done, I was thinking of sanding down any protrusions and using bondo to make it match the other corner. Any other ideas?

The second part is I need to remove the marker from the side. I'm hesitant to use paint because the dark colored marker would probably go through. I was hoping I could scrub it off somehow. Any more ideas?

Rubbing alcohol generally removes permanent marker. I don't know if it'll remove all of it, but it should get most of it.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
Rubbing alcohol generally removes permanent marker. I don't know if it'll remove all of it, but it should get most of it.

Let grease lighting set on premanent marker for like a min then wipe it off and no more marker. :D

Goo-Gone... the greatest invention of the 20th Century!!

Okay, second greatest, right after high-speed rotary tools.

Simple Green works well also and it isn't as toxic as some of those others. It just needs to be rinsed with water when you are done. You can find it and the others listed above at just about any automotive store.

Darkeone said:
Simple Green works well also and it isn't as toxic as some of those others. It just needs to be rinsed with water when you are done. You can find it and the others listed above at just about any automotive store.

Agreed. The Simple Green Automotive products are fantastic.

Syndicated_Death said:
simple green makes me gag

It has that effect when you drink it. It's for external use only. }: >

I know, the smell is (minty) different but not as bad as aeresol can sprays.

Maybe you could try a Mr. Clean magic eraser with some of the products people have already mentioned. I swear those things work wonders on surfaces that are lightly textured.

Alright thanks for the cleaning advice, what about the corner that got a bit deformed when the case was dropped?

I wish I had a camera nearby to show what its like, basically the top right front corner of the case is slightly flattened and there is a hairline crack in the plastic. It isnt terribly noticable but I would like to hide it. If I use a bondo like material I will have to repaint the case which I definitely do not want to do.

I figure I can sand down the edge a bit to hide the impact. However, sanding will probably cause some miscoloration and difference in texture which I want to avoid as well.

Back