Reference Sapphire 290 Aftermarket Cooler

Brownstone

Gawd
So, I got someone going to the US and I wanted to get a cooler for my 290. It is summer where I live, and I don't want another summer with the turbo jet.

Which would be the best one to get? Performance/Money

I did a Kraken G10, Corsair H55, and Gelid VRM Cooling kit on my XFX R9 290(actually unlocked it ot a 290x) Reference. Couldn't be happier. I have like $75 into it and it works amazing.

Also, Artic Accelero Xtreme 4 is a good air option at roughly ~$90. Bear in mind its size and its lack of active fan on VRMs.

Shyne151's setup is a winner though, especially if you can find the H55 for on the cheap.

Shyne151's setup is a winner though, especially if you can find the H55 for on the cheap.

Yah I lucked out on the H55... it had a $15 instant rebate and I had a $25 NewEgg credit for a price that changed the day after I ordered, so it came out to $29.99. I think I might of even had a mail in rebate for it too.

I know you can find the refurbs pretty cheap sometimes also...

Just a note... if you do go this route be sure to get the Gelid VRM heatsinks or you will be screwed.

Full list of parts I used:
Gelid VRM kit for 290/x - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042
Krakken G10 - http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Technolo...TF8&qid=1417639981&sr=8-1&keywords=kraken+g10
H55 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
<snip>
Just a note... if you do go this route be sure to get the Gelid VRM heatsinks or you will be screwed.
<snip>

Very valid point about the VRM cooling that the OP definitely needs to keep in mind.

VRM cooling is not a plus for the Gelid Icy or Xtreme IV. My miner cards that have these coolers on them all had somewhat elevated VRM temps, even with the heatsinks attached. Nothing that blew stability, but definitely worse off than the VRMs on the stock blower cards.

I am quite curious to know how the G10 handles the VRMs with its offset fan there. What do you normally see temps-wise when loaded up?

Very valid point about the VRM cooling that the OP definitely needs to keep in mind.

VRM cooling is not a plus for the Gelid Icy or Xtreme IV. My miner cards that have these coolers on them all had somewhat elevated VRM temps, even with the heatsinks attached. Nothing that blew stability, but definitely worse off than the VRMs on the stock blower cards.

I am quite curious to know how the G10 handles the VRMs with its offset fan there. What do you normally see temps-wise when loaded up?

I haven't saw VRM temps over 70 with the Gelid kit. They are usually around 55-65. The case has 3 140mm for intake, and the h55 on the 290x and the h100i on my FX-8350 provide exhaust.

Interesting, now I'm thinking if it is going to be worth the money for the G10. But I fear the resale value (next card will not be a reference)

Would the Gelid VRM kit work with icy vision 3 (maybe comes in the icy vision 3 pack?)

Back