REEVEN OURANOS RC-1401 CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

REEVEN OURANOS RC-1401 CPU Air Cooler Review

REEVEN's OURANOS RC-1401 is a single tower CPU air cooler with a 140mm yellow-bladed fan. Its design keeps your RAM slots in mind while its Speed Switch Adapter claims to maximize cooling efficiency and easing your noise profile. Let's put it on our overclocked Ryzen CPU running a very high vCore and see if it makes the cut.

2. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Are they using some magic metal or special heat pipes? These results are just impressive given the size and price. It's competing with water even. Great review as always.

3. Kyle_Bennett

My guess it is comes down to heatpipe tech. The manufacture of those as well as how those are attached to the fins.

4. ole-m

ole-m Limp Gawd

Unless going all out on watercooling you ain't gonna beat good ol tower coolers.
    Only thing AIO has going for it imho is that width of a case can be limited thus an AIO will be easier to fit.

5. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

As always, thanks for the awesome review.

Very impressed seeing it holding it's own with AIO's. As someone who's still rocking hyper 212's in both rigs I really appreciate seeing something like this. That thinner profile is too cool. If I'd seen this last year I would've ordered one when I put tridents in my 2600k rig and saved the time of re-orienting several fans to re-direct air flow. Reeven, a name I'm going to remember. I know it's totally different engineering, but it sure sounds like they could teach some GPU manufacturers a thing or two.

6. hesho

hesho Limp Gawd

kinda curious how come the am4 kit isn't included. Shouldn't the cost of the shipping be included for that?

i do like it though, nice and simple.

Sulphademus likes this.
  7. Kyle_Bennett

Well that and the biggest feature of AIO is exhausting the CPU's heat outside of the case.

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  8. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Gawd

Nice to see another Gold worthy product from these guys! Great review!

9. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

Now i dont know if i should throw my Scythe SCFM-1000 Fuma into the garbage or not. I thought that $45 cooler was the reigning champ.

PS: is this the same heatsink from 2014/2015, just with a am4 adapter?

10. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

That seems like a very nice little cooler. Impressive results.

That name though. How are you supposed to pronounce it? "Your Anus?"

11. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

As a PC builder, I ask this one question

WHY DON'T COOLER MANUFACTURERS USE THE EXISTING AM4 BACKPLATE FOR F***S SAKE?!?

Chimpee, otg and pendragon1 like this.
  12. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 2[H]4U

This. AIOs definitely make a noticeable difference in overall case temperature.

13. Zarathustra[H]

Agreed.

Though with some good custom ducting I wonder if you can achieve similar results with a tower cooler.

14. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Some we have tested do, I think, at least in the case of the OURANOS is there is just too much mass to rely on the plastic tabs from the stock mounting solution. They could I suppose use the backplate sans the clips, but not much point in that other than saving a little bit from including their own.

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  15. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I'm not talking about the tabs, but the mtal plate the tabs are installed to (even AMD's own Wraith coolers don't use the tabs). That plate is universal and on some mainboards (Asus in particular, at least) the backplate is adheased to the mainboard.

To me it makes a lot of sense to use the existing backplate to A: save on costs in manufacturing and B: save on install hassle.

On top of that, switching coolers would be so much easier if the stock backplate was used.

Chimpee likes this.
  16. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I agree with all this, and the stock backplate on our Gigabyte board on the test system was glued down (REALLY frigging well I might add). It would make sense that different AM4 specific screws/spacers instead of the custom backplate would be a good option

Chimpee and KazeoHin like this.
  17. Zarathustra[H]

I was going to guess the plastic was the issue, but I have no personal experience with AM4. Only AM3 and AM2

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D Limp Gawd

No no no I'm pretty sure its "Our Anus".

MaZa likes this.
  19. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

It's Greek for "Heaven" or "Heavens" I think a Greek version of Uranus.

20. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I'm keeping my Fuma SCFM-1000. Still works fine for me.

21. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

lol @ the 'Mating' section

Reeven, Kudos. That's 2 excellent offerings in a row.

22. GeEl2088

GeEl2088 n00bie

Curious, Why is the Reeven Justice so bad now compared to the Reeven Justice review back in 2016?
    The justice was 7c cooler than the Noctua NH-U14S in 2016 and now its 11c hotter?

23. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

Completely different hardware would be the main reason. And not all coolers "scale" the same. The Reevan Justice maybe just can not handle the extra voltage and heat from the current test system.

24. Raendor

Raendor Gawd

I found it very weird that Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct scored so low compared to this and other coolers. I looked at many reviews before I got mine and after using for a year in my current rig, I didn't see a huge difference coming from Cryorig A80, which was and still is one of the best 280mm AIOs.