Redirect VNC Traffic

n64man120

2[H]4U
How difficult would the following be to achieve...

Current Setup
DynDNS on Router, xxx.dyndns.org points to my network, then I have port forwarding setup for VNC. So xxx.dyndns.org:5900 connects to the PC I have that port forwarding to.

What I would like to do
Leverage my 1&1 basic hosting account to do a redirect. So I can place computerA.domainname.com in my VNC connect box, and have it properly negotiate the above connection like before.

Is this doable, aside from the web java interface?

Simple. Use meta refresh redirect in your index.html file on computerA.domainname.com.

No, I don't think that would work, since I'm not pointing to an html file, or even an http protocol. I guess I just need that subdomain to route to the dynamic domain name, which will route to my home IP/port.

I don't know if this is possible with the 1&1 webhost, or I need more physical access to the server?

use a DNS cname to redirect computerA.domainname.com to xxx.dyndns.org

Woops, misunderstood and thought you had a hosting account at: computerA.domainname.com. I also misunderstood and thought you were wanting to use the java served VNC at port 5800. Use stormy's.

use a DNS cname to redirect computerA.domainname.com to xxx.dyndns.org

Thanks, thats close, and from my attempt at researching it, possibly as close as I will be able to get. Without a deep knowledge of the different layers, I was hoping that I could mask computerA.domainname.com to a specific port, i.e. xxx.dyndns.org:5900, but it appears not.

Back