Redfall (Arkane Studios)

Arkane has traditionally leaned heavily on pre-rendered or cinematic trailers over gameplay. Watching the Dishonored trailer is wild compared to the actual gameplay.

I’m not defending it, just stating past precedent.

Another journalist demonstrates their inability to play video games. I swear the jerky movement we see on display here is the reason for aimbots as standard in FPS games played with controllers these days.

Another journalist demonstrates their inability to play video games. I swear the jerky movement we see on display here is the reason for aimbots as standard in FPS games played with controllers these days.

Reminds me of the journalist who couldn't get through the tutorial stage in cuphead... he got stuck on a simple jump+dash over a pillar.

Game doesn't look bad with lack of releases this month it could do good.
It comes out next month. Tears of the Kingdom, Amnesia: The Bunker, Gollum, and System Shock all come out next month. Redfall also comes out just a few days after Jedi: Survivor.

The whole game just looks too juvenile teenager to me, like it's being marketing specifically to 14 year olds

yeah none of the gameplay trailers or videos they've released thus far really look all that amazing...gameplay doesn't seem to have the depth of Dishonored, Prey or Deathloop...I'm curious to see some official reviews...Deathloop also went under the radar and got a lot of 10/10 reviews

the graphics in Redfall also don't look all that impressive...Deathloop looked really good maxed out with RT and DLAA...I'm not sure if the switchover to UE4 from Arkane's usual Void engine is an upgrade

I need to play this for myself to decide. A lot of people are dogpiling on this game… but it’s from Arkane, easily one of my favourite studios… of all time!

That said, I do have one concern: Arkane is known for its great single player experiences, and with this game it appears they focused heavily on multiplayer. I just hope they didn’t mess up the single player in order to focus on multiplayer.

I just don’t care about multiplayer.

Last edited:
That said, I do have one concern: Arkane is known for its great single player experiences, and with this game it appears they focused heavily on multiplayer. I just hope they didn’t mess up the single player in order to focus on multiplayer.

that was my concern as well but Game Director Harvey Smith reassured everyone that it'll be like a classic Arkane experience when played solo..."Redfall is made so you can play through the campaign solo and you don't have bots with you for the other characters, you're just purely solo...you pick Layla, Jacob, Devinder, or Remi, and you're alone as you go through the world"

all the previews also stated that the game can be played solo without losing any part of the gameplay experience

Harvey Smith is the guy who completely blew the Deus Ex sequel with the really mediocre Dues Ex invisible War. Probably the most disappointing game sequel I've ever played.

Redfall pre-load is now live on Xbox Series X|S and PC

• Xbox Series X - 77.31 GB
• PC - 94.3 GB

I’m a little weirded out that I seem to be alone, almost, in my excitement for this game.

Arkane has provided me with some of the best games I’ve played in the past decade (I cannot believe that Dishonored released in 2012… more than a decade ago? Yikes).

Dishonored 2 and Prey are maybe in my top twenty of all time. This company is capable of… magic.

I’m a little weirded out that I seem to be alone, almost, in my excitement for this game.

Arkane has provided me with some of the best games I’ve played in the past decade (I cannot believe that Dishonored released in 2012… more than a decade ago? Yikes).

Dishonored 2 and Prey are maybe in my top twenty of all time. This company is capable of… magic.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm looking forward to Redfall...I'm not going to pre-order and I have my concerns about the gameplay but I think Arkane is a very underrated developer...Deathloop was a sleeper hit that no one played

I need to play this for myself to decide. A lot of people are dogpiling on this game… but it’s from Arkane, easily one of my favourite studios… of all time!

Seems like Arkane doesn't care about multiplayer, either, considering there is no shared progress when playing coop.

Blind faith can be dangerous...

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm looking forward to Redfall...I'm not going to pre-order and I have my concerns about the gameplay but I think Arkane is a very underrated developer...Deathloop was a sleeper hit that no one played

Deathloop got outrageously high review scores. I'd say it was the most commercially pushed of all Arkane's games, with what had to be a huge marketing budget (remember, Sony backed this before Bethesda got bought by Microsoft). If anything it probably got more players than any other previous Arkane game.

(https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/deathloop-sales-numbers-5-million-players/)

Deathloop got outrageously high review scores. I'd say it was the most commercially pushed of all Arkane's games, with what had to be a huge marketing budget (remember, Sony backed this before Bethesda got bought by Microsoft). If anything it probably got more players than any other previous Arkane game.

(https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/deathloop-sales-numbers-5-million-players/)

I'm glad it sold well but the general perception around Arkane games is that they are really good but under-perform in terms of sales...Arkane doesn't seem to get the love that other developers seem to get due to the types of games they make which are unique and don't cater to a mass audience

Redfall seems like their attempt to cater to a wider audience

Last edited:
Out in 4 days but Back 4 Blood didn't do well so I'm not sure how this game is going to capture an audience I suppose it will be hot for a few weeks. Personally think the game is too dark but maybe that will just add to it.

Last edited:
One thing that will keep me away from Redfall is inability to customize the look and feel of your own character. This is especially huge problem with my wife, who spends tons of time customizing the look of her character. Why force us into whatever 4 personalities / characters they picked? Why not give us more freedom? Sucks, because our #1 thing is co-op shooters and now I cant play this one since my wife cant customize her character. Oh well....

there aren't enough good vampire games so Arkane might have tapped into something with Redfall...I'm curious what reviews will look like...another Deathloop which got a crazy number of perfect 10/10 scores?

Out in 4 days but Back 4 Blood didn't do well so I'm not sure how this game is going to capture an audience I suppose it will be hot for a few weeks. Personally think the game is too dark but maybe that will just add to it.
This is the type of comment I’m mostly seeing for this game - comments that are focused on the co-op experience. Completely legit, of course.

But it makes me wonder why Arkane decided to add co-op in the first place? Their hallmark has always been the single player immersive sim experience, which they’ve excelled at. Drop the whole co-op thing and you’re not sending mixed messages.

I’m biased here, of course, because I have no friends, hate socializing, prefer my own company, and therefore despise co-op.

LOL.

Anyway… ‘free’ on Gamepass! Woohoo!

But it makes me wonder why Arkane decided to add co-op in the first place? Their hallmark has always been the single player immersive sim experience, which they’ve excelled at. Drop the whole co-op thing and you’re not sending mixed messages

they want to make the game more accessible to a wider audience...immersive sims like Dishonored and Deathloop weren't embraced by the player base as much as it was with critics...making critically acclaimed games which don't sell that well will only get you so far

PC Specifications, Accessibility Options Guide, Graphics Settings and Global Launch Times

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4qBx10FCug76XKXxPID0No/redfall-accessibility-guide

Redfall.jpg

Redfall Launch.jpg

Last edited:
they want to make the game more accessible to a wider audience...immersive sims like Dishonored and Deathloop weren't embraced by the player base as much as it was with critics...making critically acclaimed games which don't sell that well will only get you so far
I personally don’t care how much money they make.

LOL. I’m joking.

Dishonoured 2, apparently, put the series on ‘hiatus’ because of poor sales. Typical that. The games I love, no one else does.

You’re saying I should be happy about this, because the single player is still there, but Arkane might make more money because of the co-op, and therefore continue the series.

But again, my previous concern: that Arkane, in trying to please both groups, will please neither.

Who knows. This game is a bit of a mystery.

based on the marketing and amount of accessibility options, graphical settings like an FOV slider, fully customizable KB/M support etc Arkane really went all out with this game...the only downside is that RT support will not be available at launch...Redfall, will support Ray Tracing and DLSS 3...however, these Ray Tracing effects won’t be available on launch day...instead, Arkane will add them via a post-launch update

I’m getting hyped for this. A semi-open world game… from Arkane… this could be a big moment.

Game has Zero matchmaking you can play Co-op but only invite basically it's a single player game.

Back