Redditor Signs Up For Secret Santa, Gets Bill Gates

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Why is Bill Gates such a decent human being? How did he even afford all of this?

The co-founder of Microsoft has been taking part in these exchanges for several years now. The tech entrepreneur turned philanthropist (or someone who works for him) gifts someone a bunch of stuff that’s tailored to whatever preferences they listed when signing up, with the addition of a donation made in their name to a related charity or relief organization. Then the person receives the package, does a double-take when they realize it’s from Gates, and proceeds to rave about their haul to the Internet.

Actually I'm not that impressed. So he spent about 2000$ on secret santa? But there is no info about the charity donation, so let's assume he spent 10.000$ all in all. That's like me spending 1 cent on it. So pretty darn stingy if you ask me.

Actually I'm not that impressed. So he spent about 2000$ on secret santa? But there is no info about the charity donation, so let's assume he spent 10.000$ all in all. That's like me spending 1 cent on it. So pretty darn stingy if you ask me.
For reals. Tony Stark set up that one kid for life.

Ya, it's not that impressive of an amount considering who it is, but at the same time. He's at least doing something. How many other millionaire/billionaires are doing such?

I'm going to enter and list all of my preferences as Apple related paraphernalia in hopes of getting him.

Someone else on Reddit got Snoop:

iQX1SlV.png

Looks like she asked for and got a pair of shoes, socks and a mini drone, and he threw in a couple of small things.

Yeah, Merry Xmizzle to all and to all a good night.

Someone else on Reddit got Snoop:

iQX1SlV.png

Looks like she asked for and got a pair of shoes, socks and a mini drone, and he threw in a couple of small things.

Yeah, Merry Xmizzle to all and to all a good night.

I've always wondered about this guy. I don't care for his music or his persona, but I have never heard something ABOUT him that bothered me. He seems like one of the smart artists that sells their persona successfully and then live a normal decent life.

Seems like the guy has used fame in a good way (even if you don't agree with the way he achieved fame).

I've always wondered about this guy. I don't care for his music or his persona, but I have never heard something ABOUT him that bothered me. He seems like one of the smart artists that sells their persona successfully and then live a normal decent life.

Seems like the guy has used fame in a good way (even if you don't agree with the way he achieved fame).

He even coaches youth and high school football teams. He's a pretty cool dude.

Serious? The guy is successful, and because of that he somehow owes people more than anyone else? Where does this mind set come from? Condemning someone that is known for giving, because they didn't give big enough to make you happy? WTF?

Serious? The guy is successful, and because of that he somehow owes people more than anyone else? Where does this mind set come from? Condemning someone that is known for giving, because they didn't give big enough to make you happy? WTF?
I was merely pointing out the amount he given in relation to his net worth. And I did my do diligence. I did the calculations. Him giving 10.000$ away is like me giving 1 cent away literally. Would you praise me if I gave 1 cent to charity? Of course not. Then why put him on a pedestal for giving the same amount in relation to his wealth?

I was merely pointing out the amount he given in relation to his net worth. And I did my do diligence. I did the calculations. Him giving 10.000$ away is like me giving 1 cent away literally. Would you praise me if I gave 1 cent to charity? Of course not. Then why put him on a pedestal for giving the same amount in relation to his wealth?

And how much do you giveaway?

the point isn't the amount he gave you fuck. It is the fact that he took part in the event period. The same as Snoop Dogg or anyone else like that. Just the fact that your secret Santa turns out to be the a celebrity or somebody like Bill Gates shows that these people are still down to earth enough to take part in things with the normal people. I thought it was interesting last month with Notch watching a 24 hour extralife stream, while donating and tweeting about the stream. Didn't matter that he was donating more than most people, it was the fact that he was taking part in some culture event that made it neat.

nobody is trying to say look at the amount he spent. They are just saying that it is cool that he took part in this. I would find it neat to have Bill Gates photo shop himself into a picture with me and sign it. You are the only one looking at what he spent and trying to make it just about that.

Ya, I think it's more of just knowing the rich are still mostly normal. Like Ronda Rousey and Vin Diesel play WoW. Bill Murray randomly goes and hangs out with people. Terry Crews games. It's just a feel good type story.

Or you can just be a downer.

nobody is trying to say look at the amount he spent. They are just saying that it is cool that he took part in this. I would find it neat to have Bill Gates photo shop himself into a picture with me and sign it. You are the only one looking at what he spent and trying to make it just about that.

And I was just pointing out that he didn't really make an effort financially. How am I trying to make it only about that? Somehow that criticism made you so angry that you cuss and swear at me.

And honestly to me a picture of Bill Gates and his signature is worth as much as any stranger's signature. He's nobody to me. Why should I have a picture with him?

It's cool and all that he is grounded, but that should be the norm, and not something to get praise for.

But hey let's applaud him for not having his nose so far up his ass as some celebrities do.

So he gave away around $2000 worth of stuff + $8000 to charity to a single anonymous person in a gift exchange on the web. Considering everything Gates and his Foundation collectively gives away/develops, I think this is one hell of a generous gesture in the giving spirit of the Christmas holiday. He doesn't HAVE to participate nor give a minimum amount based on his net worth just because he's a rich celebrity, you know.

If you feel otherwise, then start up a gift exchange and put a stipulation in there that states everyone must provide a gift(s) that is a minimum value of x% their net worth. You're going to be the only entrant...

And I was just pointing out that he didn't really make an effort financially. How am I trying to make it only about that? Somehow that criticism made you so angry that you cuss and swear at me.

And honestly to me a picture of Bill Gates and his signature is worth as much as any stranger's signature. He's nobody to me. Why should I have a picture with him?

It's cool and all that he is grounded, but that should be the norm, and not something to get praise for.

But hey let's applaud him for not having his nose so far up his ass as some celebrities do.

If he is no one to you, why do you care how much he makes? And because he is rich, that means he needs to give above and beyond anyone else? Hell, the gifts he DID give are above and beyond what most did, what would have made you happy? a New 500k house, a new 911 GT3, all their debts paid off etc etc? You do realize he has his own charity? Did you know he has given 28 BILLION of his own money to? Did you know he has pledged 95% of his total personal fortune to charity?

He owes no one anything more because of how many zeros are in his checking account, which seems to be the only factor you care about. And as already stated, it is not even about that he gave anything, this is a tech site, and Bill Gates is a pretty well known name, so it has a "cool" factor to him getting involved in something so grass roots. The person who received it was also ecstatic about it, she didn't scorn him for not setting her up for life because he has the money to. Good God I would hate to be someone buying you a gift.

Are you twelve?

Back