Redbox Testing Higher Priced DVD Rentals, Offering Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Redbox is experimenting with higher rates for DVDs depending on where you live. The company just started offering games for rent as well. Anyone here use Redbox?

Launched in November in Albuquerque, N.M., and expanded in recent weeks, the DVD price tests complement other marketing testing by the Coinstar-owned kiosk chain, including renewed testing of video game rentals. On Wednesday, Merriman Curhan Ford analyst Eric Wold said trial tests of games at 150 kiosks in Austin could bear fruit despite modest title offerings at present.

Haha, first you lose your release day DVDs and then you increase prices. I don't see how this can be a good idea.

Personally, I think they should venture into the subscription model. Charge $15.00 a month for unlimited Kiosk rentals (or something to that effect). That and start working on getting some Bluebox kiosks out there too. Or maybe an option to rent a single DVD for 5 days for $3.00.

They should just charge by the scratches on each disk. From my experience they'd make a fortune.

Redbox is pretty much all my wife and I use for movie rentals. They're everywhere in MN. I heard a few weeks ago that they're going to start offering Blu-Ray, and this is confirmed in the linked article:
Redbox also is testing Blu-ray rentals in select markets.

I dont get it. They have a selection of like 10 movies at any given time. nzb on the other hand...

The wife and I use it, and love it. For us, that watch ~4 a movies a month on DVD, it makes much more sense than Netflix etc. I don't know how much more I would pay than the current $1, but not much.

$1.15 for a rental? Weird price, but I worry it will just go up and up incrementally and people will think "well, it's just 25 cents". I guess dominating the non-mail rental market isn't good enough?

We will see how this plays out... my company (not movie related) is also raising prices... and promptly losing all of our customers! whoohoo! depression part deux!

I dont understand the whole Redbox craze. You have to browse through the movie selection outside regardless of what the weather is in irder to save one whole dollar? Blockbuster is one to two bucks a night and you have climate control.

Haha, first you lose your release day DVDs and then you increase prices. I don't see how this can be a good idea.

Personally, I think they should venture into the subscription model. Charge $15.00 a month for unlimited Kiosk rentals (or something to that effect). That and start working on getting some Bluebox kiosks out there too. Or maybe an option to rent a single DVD for 5 days for $3.00.

I never understood the one day only option either.

1.15 for a BD rental I wouldn't have a problem with. Don't do DVD for new movies anymore.

They already raised the price in my area to $1.15
Ends up being about $1.26 with tax. Once they start pushing $1.75 ($2 w/tax), I can see my usage decreasing dramatically.

We use it occasionally. Although I'd LOVE a 1$/day xbox rental. I could pay what most xbox games are worth, and when I'm done playing them two days later, everyone is happy!

I despise Redbox! Iv tried a few times. Most of the time they are out of the movies you want to see, there are at least 3 (usually more) people waiting in line 2 of which take like 15 minutes a piece cause they can't decide on what they want (because it is probably out) / or they can't figure it out, oh and they always seem to be broken because someone stuffed too many movies in at once. Not to mention I don't feel like getting my happy ass up and driving somewhere to stand outside for 30 minutes to grab a crap movie that I have to watch as soon as I get home.

It's still cheaper than all the alternatives. If you watch ALOT of stuff, Netflix makes more sense though.

It's still cheaper than all the alternatives. If you watch ALOT of stuff, Netflix makes more sense though.

I consider Netflix to be much more convenient to be honest. Worth the extra few dollars a month.

I consider Netflix to be much more convenient to be honest. Worth the extra few dollars a month.

If you're like me though and only "go rent" (IE, "pay for") one movie a month, Netflix really doesn't make much sense.

If Netflix would actually expand their streaming library I'd hop on board.

If you're like me though and only "go rent" (IE, "pay for") one movie a month, Netflix really doesn't make much sense.

If Netflix would actually expand their streaming library I'd hop on board.

I don't care much for the streaming movies on Netflix...most are crap (though there are plenty exceptions). You would be hard pressed to find a better streaming service for entire TV series though.

Did you know you can go to their website and find a particular movie near you? http://www.redbox.com/Titles/AvailableTitles.aspx

My beef is that you are outside in the elements as mentioned above waiting for on average 20 minutes for each person in front of you to pick a movie. I would rather pay the extra buck to Blockbuster and get climate control and have a short line for checkout.

All but one of the 5 redboxes ~1 mile from my home are inside, and only the walmart one ever has a line. I'm a fan.

Redbox is da bomb for me. Small town, only one video store that wants $5.99 for a two-day rental. So with 5 Redbox machines guess who is going out of business. I reserve the movie online, so all I have to do is swipe the cc and I'm out of there. Usually I can select a location that doesn't have a line. If they go up to $1.15 for a DVD no problem. I am hoping to see Blu-Ray for $1.50 soon.

I love to use Redbox on the road with the kids because you can return them anywhere as you travel along.

My wife and I are redbox fans. We watch ~2 movies a month. In a square mile around my house there are about 6 redbox kiosks. We both have an iphone app that lets us rent the movie at a specific box and pay for it on the iphone, then just pick it up. I've never had to wait more than 3-4 minutes and that is rare. Usually nobody is there.

Yes, I use it, esp. on the free monthly Mondays. :cool:

I heard that RB was going to charge $1.50/night for BR, which is fine.

Blockbuster Express also charges $1/night, I believe, but I haven't used them (yet).

Yes, I use it, esp. on the free monthly Mondays. :cool:

I heard that RB was going to charge $1.50/night for BR, which is fine.

Blockbuster Express also charges $1/night, I believe, but I haven't used them (yet).

An express replaced one of the redboxes near me. Pretty much every one I talked to that used redbox there don't like it since returning still required interacting with a clerk. Basically you have to hand the dvd to the clerk, clerk checks the disk, then you have to call an 800 number to confirm you have returned the disk. If I have to go through that then I might as well drive to a BM blockbuster.

I played with a Blockbuster rental kiosk this week. It had a fairly large selection of new and old movies, but nothing I wanted.

I like Red Box . A monthly subscription for me is a waste of money. I don't watch that many movies and when I do, I don't keep them long. The True rip off is the 5-6 dollar 24 hr rentals from Comcast on demand. If Red Box raises its prices too much I am gone!

my wife and I are redbox fans .. we only get 2 or 3 movies a month .. if we go to walmart , theres one there .. if we go to Albertsons, there's 2 in there .. the Albertson's gas station has one outside too .. Walgreens has them outside .. there all over the place here.. it's rare that I ever have to wait .. and when I do , it's never more than 5 minutes tops .. never rented an unwatchable movie (other than the movie just sucking and we turn it off )

no keen on them raising prices though for regular DVD's .. that would stink

My beef is that you are outside in the elements as mentioned above waiting for on average 20 minutes for each person in front of you to pick a movie. I would rather pay the extra buck to Blockbuster and get climate control and have a short line for checkout.

God forbid we go outside and get exposed to the deadly air and UV rays. The 20minutes in line I can understand having a beef with, but outside?

Me too. Feel the same way about steam.
I am willing to play a 5 buck premium to get a game on steam. Just like the convenience to much. :p

I like Netflix and my girl friend likes redbox. I don't mind waiting for a DVD to show up but she can't stand it. I dont like waiting in line and having to run the dvd back so i dont get charged for another day.

It is also amusing to me that they are literally nickel and dimeing people. :rolleyes:

I have netflix and I still use redbox sometimes for that I need it now movie once in a blue moon. This company would get all my video game rental business if the prices are as low or near what their dvd's are...

God forbid we go outside and get exposed to the deadly air and UV rays. The 20minutes in line I can understand having a beef with, but outside?

I think he was reffering to rain or snow.... No one wants to have to drive back through snow to return a 1 dollar dvd.

I'd say 50% of the Kiosks here in Vegas are indoors.

And unless something has changed at Blockbuster - DVD rentals (new release) were $4.99 last I checked.

No thanks, I like my selection and delivery.

/huggles Netflix

The problem with Netflix is I can't request a movie and get it ASAP. If demand is high it might take weeks (there's plenty of stories about that). I can drive and get the darned movie from a Redbox.

I'm lazy. I would rather have it streamed or mailed to me.

The bluray rentals seem like a good idea.

Back