Redbox Launches Blu-ray Rentals

HardOCP News

[H] News
Redbox, the popular DVD rental kiosk provider, and wholly-owned subsidiary of Coinstar, Inc., today announced it has started rolling out Blu-ray™ titles with availability at approximately 13,300 kiosks nationwide. Redbox will rent Blu-ray Discs® at $1.50 per night plus tax and the company expects to have availability across its network of approximately 23,000 kiosk locations by the fall.

They had these in a McDonald's, but only two titles.

Half normal rentals, half to people who only own a DVD player and ignore the warnings? lol, same cash for Netflix.

Dad's already been doing this.

I guess I'm just too lazy, I don't like leaving the house to get something to watch.

My local Redboxes have also had Blu-ray for a few weeks now. I was surprised when I first saw it and was really tempted to rent Alice in Wonderland. And now that I remind myself of it, I still want to rent Alice in Wonderland.

My local Redboxes have also had Blu-ray for a few weeks now. I was surprised when I first saw it and was really tempted to rent Alice in Wonderland. And now that I remind myself of it, I still want to rent Alice in Wonderland.

No you don't. Even as a fan of everything else Burton has done, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I couldn't stand Alice in Wonderland. From poor casting to a terrible script it was just a bad move all around.

That was one of the best movies I've ever seen do it, loved who they casted as Alice and Johnny Depp rocked as the Mad Hatter

No you don't. Even as a fan of everything else Burton has done, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I couldn't stand Alice in Wonderland. From poor casting to a terrible script it was just a bad move all around.
I didn't like "AIW" either. I didn't think it was terrible, but just really boring and lame.

I checked the one at my market earlier today. They only had about 6 movies on Blu-Ray, but I'd seen them all. Good to know that it's there and looking forward to an increased selection.

I haven't used Redbox yet, because I didn't start seeing their boxes around until after I had upgraded to HD and a blu-ray player (and as soon as I did this, I refused to watch DVD's anymore)

Now that they have blu-ray titles, I might actually try them, when my netflix streaming disc for the ps3 doesn't have anything on it I want to see...

Time, sanity, respect for Tim Burton?

Nah. It can't really be that bad. Plus, my perceptions are generally influenced by the amount of money I have to pay to watch the movie. If I am only paying a dollar to watch it, I'm sure I will enjoy it enough to get my money's worth. It can't be any worse than The Last Airbender

Nah. It can't really be that bad. Plus, my perceptions are generally influenced by the amount of money I have to pay to watch the movie. If I am only paying a dollar to watch it, I'm sure I will enjoy it enough to get my money's worth. It can't be any worse than The Last Airbender

I haven't seen Last Airbender, but considering the general opinion on it you are probably right. I have seen worse movies than AIW. In fact I've seen movie a lot worse than it, but not ones that I wanted to much to be good.

I haven't seen Last Airbender, but considering the general opinion on it you are probably right. I have seen worse movies than AIW. In fact I've seen movie a lot worse than it, but not ones that I wanted to much to be good.

Technically, I also have not seen The Last Airbender as I walked out 15 minutes into it to get a refund :)

Technically, I also have not seen The Last Airbender as I walked out 15 minutes into it to get a refund :)

I'll probably rent it on DVD or Blu-Ray when it comes out. Everyone says its so bad so I just have to see it. I can't imagine it pissing me off worse than Transformers 2 did at least. Though it might as I'm a fan of the cartoon.

Thank you Red Box! I love REd Box. I don't rent movies often, but when I do, I go to Red Box.

AIW was not great, but it wasn't particularly bad. The 3D effects were mostly visual flourishes, nothing too great. The story was delivered perfunctorily, nothing outstanding.

Zarathustra[H];1036006845 said:
Are you the most interesting movie-watcher in the world?
Why do you say that? I don't rent movies often because I have Starz, Encore and HBO HD on Demand so I end up finding movies I like through them so that I don't spend a lot more on rentals.

Woohoo, free movie Mon. @ Redbox! :cool:

Why do you say that? I don't rent movies often because I have Starz, Encore and HBO HD on Demand so I end up finding movies I like through them so that I don't spend a lot more on rentals.
I think he made that comment b/c your previous comment made you sound like the Dos Equis guy. :D

For a dollar, sure. AIW was bad enough to give me a headache, though.

I put my Blu-Ray in the Red Box and now my disc is purple. What do I do?

Blu%20Ray%20Disc.jpg

Back