Redbox Instant Shutting Down on Tuesday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Netflix is hard to compete with and that fact is becoming abundantly clear to many of Netflix’ rivals, especially to Redbox Instant. Redbox Instant has sent out emails to its customers informing them that as of next Tuesday, the service will be shutting down.

"Thank you for being a part of Redbox Instant by Verizon. Please be aware that the service will be shut down on Tuesday, October 7, 2014, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

If you can't offer more than Netflix for a cheaper price, then there really isn't even a point in getting into the business.

If you can't offer more than Netflix for a cheaper price, then there really isn't even a point in getting into the business.

I agree but netflix needs competition, so far no one has given them a run for their money.

I didn't even know the service existed.... Perhaps they should have advertised more?

Netflix + Amazon Prime + Hulu = Why do we need RedBox to stream stuff.

There's always Amazon.

Oh yea I always forget about prime. Mostly because I never find anything worth watching on it. I also dont want the cost of prime to go up because of the streaming videos which are just not good.

Oh yea I always forget about prime. Mostly because I never find anything worth watching on it. I also dont want the cost of prime to go up because of the streaming videos which are just not good.

They still give Netflix some competition, even if it isn't very competent.

I agree but netflix needs competition, so far no one has given them a run for their money.

At this point I'm not sure how anyone can come close to competing with Netflix and/or Hulu.

At this point I'm not sure how anyone can come close to competing with Netflix and/or Hulu.

To some degree Youtube has been. I've seen a lot of content on there you would need to pay for to access.

Giving Netflix more competition isn't the problem. Netflix would offer every movie from DVD they have on streaming if they could. The problem is the studios either won't allow them, or want some ungodly amount of money. HBO for example said Netflix could allow streaming of their content, as long as they acquired $13 / month from every customer (regardless if they wanted the content or not) and gave them that money. They wanted to treat them like a service provider like cable or sat, even though people were not streaming stuff live. This is also why you have all these companies doing their own stream. They don't want to allow Netflix to make money off of their stuff so they just want to get into themselves. What is needed is more people to put pressure on the studios to release content to the streaming services, not people competing with Netflix.

I didn't even know the service existed.... Perhaps they should have advertised more?

They advertise it on every one of their kiosk locations that I have seen, there are online ads for it, and tv commercials. If you ever used them you would know that they offer this service. They really can't get the word out any more short of coming to your house, strapping you to a chair and forcing you to watch it.

Yeah same here; aside from their HBO retro exclusives, a lot of titles I see on Amazon prime streaming are already on Netflix anyways.

Had Hulu plus .. The amount of commercials on the pay plan is outrageous. I'd hate to see what is on the non-paid plan.

Hulu was fing terrible, nothing I wanted to watch, commercials out the wazoo and the interface and apps on some stuff was just mind blowingly bad. I got a free year of it and I never ever bothered to use it beyond the first week. The only thing that might even get me to use it is southpark but I have slingbox and a dvr so I dont even bother with any of these streaming services.

Netflix is by far the best but still not great for me.

I cut the cord so Netflix and Amazon Prime are all Ive got to keep me entertained. Amazon is pretty good but there are a lot of shows and movies that they dont have that Netflix does. If I had to choose it would be Netflix all day. Hulu is a joke. Has nothing really more than Netflix, costs the same and has commercials in its programming. Cant think of a reason to use it unless it has a TV show that you just cant live without.

My Amazon subscription is due up for renewal in December and I doubt Im gonna do it. Since they dont do monthly payments, $100 in one chunk right around Christmas is a little hard to swallow and I dont buy enough off them to make it worth it for the "free" shipping either. Most everything I watch on Amazon is stuff that Im having to rent or buy anyway like Walking Dead or True Blood episodes. So come December, Ill probably be Netflix only.

Had Netflix and it was good for some movies. However, they take down movies and TV shows frequently like Married With Children.

Had Netflix and it was good for some movies. However, they take down movies and TV shows frequently like Married With Children.

Yeah, its sucks how they removed 24 when I was in the middle of watching it :( Oh well, for 10 bucks a month, it's something I can deal with.

Yeah same here; aside from their HBO retro exclusives, a lot of titles I see on Amazon prime streaming are already on Netflix anyways.

I think Amazon gives Netflix a definite run for their money and has created a key separation.

Both services are offering original content.

Netflix offers a lot of stuff, for a little money.

Amazon offers a similar amount of stuff (but maybe not as much) as a bundled service with prime. The value is very high and if you utilize other Prime features such as the shipping benefits, you pay proportionally less for the streaming service, than you do for netflix alone.

The degree of separation is that Amazon gives you access to a ton of other stuff, for streaming rental or to 'own'. Including currently airing seasons. Netflix does not do this.

Back