Red/white to headphone jack

• Thread starter Deleted member 108676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108676

Is there such thing as an adapter that turns red/white out into a headphone jack. I want to play my xbox while my wife is asleep and I'd like to have sound(our house is very small).

I'm asking because I don't even know what I would search for.

Thanks!

That won't work. RCA connections aren't meant to be used for anything other than passing the line through, ie they lack the power to be useful for moving some cans.

You will need something in between.

Is there such thing as an adapter that turns red/white out into a headphone jack. I want to play my xbox while my wife is asleep and I'd like to have sound(our house is very small).

I'm asking because I don't even know what I would search for.

Thanks!

What TV do you have? There should be a headphone jack or at least a line-out.

The RCA cables he's talking about are presumably from a line-out of his TV. He needs to plug that into an amp and plug the amp into headphones (assuming his TV/cable-box/etc. doesn't have a headphone-out).

I'm talking about the RCA cable coming out of the xbox that plugs into the back of the TV(I don't use an HDMI cable for my xbox)

Yes you can get a cable like that. I have one that is female red/white paired to a female 3.5mm - Works in either direction, just need to plug cables in... lol

I think even something like this would work

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In theory, an adapter should work. However, it is not recommended. A small headphone amp with RCA or 3.5mm inputs would work best and you can adjust volume.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That won't work. RCA connections aren't meant to be used for anything other than passing the line through, ie they lack the power to be useful for moving some cans.

RCA can handle ANY headphones. Headphones don't even use a watt of power. RCA as a connector isn't good, but it's EASILY sufficient for headphones. Whether or not some device with RCA outs can directly drive headphones varies - perhaps that's what you meant. Some devices can do it and some can't. Generally worth a try before investing in new equipment IMO.

1. Plug RCA from Xbox into TV.
2. Use Line Out from TV (most should have one)
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!! (because you didn't spend all your money on a headphone amp that you don't need).

RCA can handle ANY headphones. Headphones don't even use a watt of power. RCA as a connector isn't good, but it's EASILY sufficient for headphones. Whether or not some device with RCA outs can directly drive headphones varies - perhaps that's what you meant. Some devices can do it and some can't. Generally worth a try before investing in new equipment IMO.

Not any headphones, but surely what OP is thinking of using - he doesn't sound like he's using any 600 OHM crazy audiophile stuff.

Back