Red light on MSI Z170 SLI PLUS

code21

n00b
Hey guys...I recently built a new rig and after a few hours a red light illuminated on the motherboard. The manual and Google don't seem to have anything about the specific light in question. It is one of two lights that look like battery symbols with +/- symbols. The one just above it is not illuminated (see pic). Any idea what this light is for? Thanks.

Attachments

• red_light.jpg
    red_light.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 290
So after some troubleshooting I noticed that it only comes on when I have XMP enabled. I have 3200mhz DDR4 installed and when I run it at that speed the light is on. When I run it at the motherboard's default 2133mhz the light goes out. Must be a voltage thing. Weird thing is my system was unstable at the slower 2133mhz voltage settings and is rock solid at the 3200mhz voltage. Does that sound normal to be less stable at a lower voltage?

It would help if you detailed your build.

Offhand, I think its indicating power problems (near 24 pin connector). Recheck your connections. Check your PSU voltages (eg HWInfo64)

Are any of the debug - CPU, VGA, RAM - LEDs on?

Seehttps://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview

"A red LED near the 24 pin CPU power connector let you know that overvoltage protection is activated for easier troubleshooting."

It would help if you detailed your build.

Offhand, I think its indicating power problems (near 24 pin connector). Recheck your connections. Check your PSU voltages (eg HWInfo64)

Are any of the debug - CPU, VGA, RAM - LEDs on?

Seehttps://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview

"A red LED near the 24 pin CPU power connector let you know that overvoltage protection is activated for easier troubleshooting."

Hey man...thanks for the reply. I think you are right about it being an indication of overvoltage protection. After doing more research I found others with the same problem. Apparently it turns on any time the voltage to the DDR4 DIMMs goes above 1.2v. I have 3200mhz RAM and had to bump up the voltage to 1.35v using XMP for them to run at 3200mhz. Everything seems stable...I'll just have to deal with the red light being on inside my case.

Can you post your PSU voltages? 12v, 5v and 3.3v If they're OK, then the red light shouldn't be on and you'd be entitled to a RMA.

And your build.

Can you post your PSU voltages? 12v, 5v and 3.3v If they're OK, then the red light shouldn't be on and you'd be entitled to a RMA.

And your build.

Here is my build: PC Hound - Build a PC in Seconds

For voltages (pulled from HWiNFO64):
12v: 12.288v
5v: 5.040v
3v: 3.328v

Also, the XMP profile on my RAM ups the following voltages. These are the ones I think are tripping the overvoltage light:

VCCSA: 1.248v
CPU I/O: 1.264
DIMM: 1.36

However, it seems that anything above 1.2v for the DIMM voltage will turn the light on although the memory is made for 1.35v. I'm not too concerned with it since the board is made for 3200mhz (OC) and I'm using the tested XMP profile. Just think that anything above the default 1.2v DIMM voltage (2133mhz) will turn on the light.

Thanks.

The 12V figure is a bit higher than usual for a good PSU. Can you check it with other software eg motherboard utility?

The ram voltages look OK to me. Though I don't use Skylake.

So after some troubleshooting I noticed that it only comes on when I have XMP enabled. I have 3200mhz DDR4 installed and when I run it at that speed the light is on. When I run it at the motherboard's default 2133mhz the light goes out. Must be a voltage thing. Weird thing is my system was unstable at the slower 2133mhz voltage settings and is rock solid at the 3200mhz voltage. Does that sound normal to be less stable at a lower voltage?

I think that is the XMP LED that comes on when the profile is active. I have the board but have not activated the XMP yet and with my lack of cable management there is a good possibility that I couldn't see it easily but I can try unless you are satisfied.

Back