Red Falcon's Retrocomputing Thread!

Discussion in 'All non-AMD/Intel CPUs' started by Red Falcon, Nov 16, 2014.

1. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

Good news, its fixed:

k9TzXo5h.jpg

Bad news, hard drive is dead. Now I have the chicken and egg problem of I need a special hacked version of Drive Setup that doesn't exist to format a non-Apple branded IDE drive to work in it. That special version of Drive Setup doesn't exist, there are only instructions on how to make it with Res Edit, which requires writable storage greater than what's available on a 1.44 MB floppy.

Red Falcon and D-EJ915 like this.
  2. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

Got a 120 GB drive working in it, got lucky with an old 700 MB external SCSI drive I had from 1988 that had a hacked version of Drive Setup 1.5 on it.

Video of it booting and running Duke3D before putting it back together:

It has 32 MB of RAM, which is a bit limiting when running some games or VirtualPC. Unfortunately it uses weird 168 pin EDO 5v DIMMs, unlike normal standard 168 pin 3.3v DIMMs using SDRAM in PC land. The only difference between the two memory sticks visually is the EDO DIMM has the middle notch orientated to the left side (vs center on SDRAM) and the side notch orientated to the middle (vs to the right on SDRAM.)

I remember reading posts of frustrated Mac owners in the mid to late 90s where they bought normal PC SDRAM and were flummoxed when it wouldn't seat in the slot. There were a few of the "danger to themselves and everything else" types which weren't having any of it and opted to use a dremel or file to make the notches on the memory module larger to fit. Hilarity ensued with either the memory modules blowing up from the over voltage, logic board smoke or both.

Red Falcon likes this.
  3. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Ah, I know exactly what you mean about those proprietary DIMMs.
    The SPARCstation 5 workstation featured on post 5 in this thread was the exact same way.

It had 256MB of ECC FPM DRAM in 168-pin DSIMM modules, which is almost unheard of.
    Surprisingly, I have seen a few mid-1990s Intel workstations equipped with the 168-pin EDO DIMMs you are using as well.

2F2016%2F178%2Ff%2F1%2Fsparcstation_5___internal_view_and_411_scsi_units_by_redfalcon696-da7sxlm.png

^ Those are the 32MB ECC FPM DSIMMs with 8 of them in total for 256MB.
    Running NetBSD, I was able to compile smaller programs with 64MB, but anything too big would dig into SWAP, and having the additional RAM made a huge difference.

32MB on your Performa 6360 does look like it is getting the job done well, though!
    You are right, those voltage differences do make a massive differences, and it is probably a good thing that those DIMMs were keyed differently to help prevent magic smoke from appearing.

You did a damned good job getting things going on the Performa 6360 (nice find on the SCSI HDD from '88, too), it looks and runs great, and the performance of Duke Nukem 3D was surprisingly good; colour me impressed! (y)
    That brings back a lot of great memories from the 1990s, and playing Duke Nukem 3D on the PowerPC ISA looks like a lot of fun.

What is the maximum capacity of RAM that the Performa 6360 can take?
    128MB, or more?

4. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

It has a Performa 6400/180 motherboard in it (hence the 6360/180, the normal 6360 is 160 MHz) and the maximum memory it can support is 136 MB (2 x 64 MB DIMMs + 8 MB on the logic board.)

Finding 64 MB sticks at a reasonable price would be a pipe dream.

Red Falcon likes this.
  5. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Oh, gotcha, thanks for the info.
    I feel your pain, those 32MB DSIMMs were basically an arm, a leg, and a few fingers and knee cap. :D