Red Falcon's Retrocomputing Thread!

Discussion in 'All non-AMD/Intel CPUs' started by Red Falcon, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Good lord, those prices - if only that equipment had cost so little back then!
    Those were such good motherboards, and nice work getting it flashed - definitely need for those added features for tweaking.

I remember when the TNT2 was impressive, haha, how times change, and even by 2001.
    That is quite the official build, and it sounds like everything is legit from that era, circa late 1990s to early 2000s - very nice work! (y)

Yeah, tell me about the bloat...
    I remember when the Linux kernel 2.6.32 would load within 30 seconds on a single-core Atom system, and now with Linux kernel 4.XX, it seems to push even higher-end systems more than it should - just so much code needs to be loaded for everything to work, plus the additional features.

Hell, I am running just Chromium with only 8 tabs open on the Jaguar system in my sig, and it is using ~427MB of VRAM just for that - crazy!
    Thanks for the great memories, and for sharing, I'm really impressed and would definitely like to see some pics of your new build if you have some time. :cool:

hNTA1LTQ3YzctODdlOS04MDVhNGVhYWFiNDEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.png

70 Polara, juanrga and lostin3d like this.
  2. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Talk about bloat. I experienced a tipping point with that on an old rig recently with XP SP3. Only slightly an antique at this point but I fired up my last Pentium 4 build a few weeks back just for the heck of it. It was my last pre I7 series build and I don't remember the finer details of it's specs but here's some. Thing took better part of 90+ seconds to get to desktop and all services loaded. This was my rig for all those 98/XP era games and was just able to do some of those at 720p/1080p. Still a lot of good memories with this thing.

Pentium 4 @ 3.4 Ghz w/ HT
    2GB Ram(don't remember clock/timings)
    2x80GB WD platters in Raid0 via Sata I
    Vision Tek ATI HD2600Pro 512MB AGPx4
    Silicon Integrated Systems MB(don't remember model)

70 Polara and Red Falcon like this.
  3. Red Falcon

The Pentium 4 is an antique - well, damn, they did stop manufacturing them in 2004, and that 15-year point is the point at which technology turns retro. :eek:
    Even with two 7200RPM disks in RAID0, it still takes 90+ seconds to boot - actually, that was pretty good for back then!

I remember getting under a minute for 2000 Pro or XP to boot (assuming fully loaded with software and not a vanilla install) was pretty cool.
    Nice work on getting 1080p going on that system!

I can't believe it has already been over 5 years since XP went EOL - damn, someone, stop the clock already! :D
    2GB of RAM back in 2004 would have been around $800 or more, and would have been quite the feat.

2GB of RAM wasn't even standard until circa 2008 - pretty slick system you built, I like it! (y)
    What games or software have you run on it at 1080p so far?

juanrga and 70 Polara like this.
  4. 70 Polara

70 Polara Limp Gawd

Heh yeah I did well on getting stuff cheap, which honestly isn't easy as retro computing has become a big thing and it's hard to believe the prices nineties era hardware and early 2000s as well are selling at. I have sold off most of my collection and 3dfx hardware and have done well, glad I kept all the stuff I came across so long ago. If I would have guessed what 3dfx stuff was worth these days I would have stock-piled it by the ton back in the early 2000s when it was all considered 'worthless' lol.

Red Falcon likes this.
  5. 70 Polara

70 Polara Limp Gawd

I have updated my Post#160 as my retro box has changed yet again, and I think I'm finally happy! Always wanted to mess with Socket 423 P4s and RAMBUS memory because as I recall it was pretty much hated in it's day for high cost and less then impressive performance compared to the Tualatin P3 or AMD Athlon XP, so I got around to using the other set of parts I bought awhile back. I'm thinking that as a unique retro gaming system the Willamette P4 works pretty well, and performance seems great!

Red Falcon likes this.
  6. 70 Polara

70 Polara Limp Gawd

P6290004r.jpg P6290008r.jpg Here are a couple of pictures of my Socket 423 retro PC I detailed in Post#160, taken with my 1998 Olympus D490 digital camera that refuses to die. I bought it new for $400 and it has taken thousands of pictures in the last 21 years! It's so old it uses a serial cable to upload pictures to my PC, but it's still easier then using my phone. :)

The ATX case I'm using cleaned up pretty good for being 'saved' from the trash. I'm on a budget these days so the trash can case beats buying a new one!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Red Falcon and lostin3d like this.
  7. Red Falcon

Man, I am really impressed with that system, excellent work getting everything up and running. (y)
    Oh, we used to have one of those Olympus digital cameras (believe ours was from the early 2000s with SmartMedia storage - 8MB to 32MB) - you're right, those things are tanks and, apparently, NBC-hardened!

So not only is the system itself retro, the images we are viewing them on are also retro. :cool:
    Heck yeah, that's very resourceful!

You're making me feel so old, I remember when those cases were a luxury and much nicer to work on than most the older 90s beige desktops.
    All around, great job, and thank you for sharing!

This might be something you may appreciate:

Somehow, I think if we all had our way, this would pretty much be all of us. :D

5db2bf51902b0738204f101b63bb9471.png

...and this...

dragon-hoards-01.jpg

...and this...

8aBY5YX.png

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  8. 70 Polara

70 Polara Limp Gawd

Wow, that warehouse is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really enjoy LGR's videos, but haven't seen that one. Another guy I really like who doesn't get enough views is HighTreason610. He really focuses on oddball 90s hardware. https://www.youtube.com/user/HighTreason610/videos

Thanks for the compliments on the P4 system and my retro camera :ROFLMAO: too. I did end up making a change to it, got rid of the ESS card and switched to a good old SoundBlaster Live PCI. The ESS is an awesome PCI card for DOS emulation, but I think it's more suited to earlier and slower hardware, it doesn't really seem to like the P4 much. The SoundBlaster Live has fairly good DOS emulation and has been solid for the games I like to play. The hardware acceleration is nice too, made Unreal 2 go from slightly choppy to smooth.........

The other crazy thing I did was switched to Windows ME from 98SE. I never messed with ME at all when it was new, and ran 98SE up until about 2004 (switched to XP because of Half Life 2 as I recall). I saw an article on Vogons calling ME the 'Misunderstood Edition' and really it's correct. On the relatively fast P4 I have found ME to work better then Win 98SE. I did remove system restore and made a few other tweaks, but overall the built in USB flash drive support, better file manager, and the feel of Windows 2000 has made me really enjoy using ME. I have had no problems (yet) running all my DOS games in a window as ME doesn't boot to, or have MS-DOS mode. I also think it's more period correct for the mostly 2000-2002 hardware in this system.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=47562

Red Falcon likes this.