Red Faction Guerrilla Removes GFWL

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
Well isn't this a pleasant surprise!

Publisher Nordic Games who acquired the rights to the Red Faction franchise when THQ went bust, has removed the much despised Games For Windows Live and replaced it with Steamworks.

Matchmaking and multiplayer, along with leaderboards, voice chat, and achievements, are now handled entirely through Steam. The game also now uses the DirectX9 renderer by default, because "DX10 created a lot of problems and resulted in performance issues," and it will attempt to migrate saves from Games for Windows Live to the new system the first time it launches.

To join, you’ll need to right-click on RFG in your Steam library, select Properties, then Betas, then enter the access code ‘nordicrfgbeta’ (no quotes), then click ‘check code’, then you can select ‘publicbeta’ from the drop down list above. The game will update and you’re in.

I hope this breathes some life into RFG MP. It was a blast to play but the matchmaking via GFWL was shocking.

awesome, code activated and game downloading, had a lot of fun with this game when it came out.

This is amazing. Not only have Nordic removed GFWL, they are actively supporting the game with new features like added DX11 support and new multiplayer maps. Check out the recent patch logs:

RF:G Steam Forum

UPDATE 18th November 2014

Changelog:
- Aiming helper disabled for multiplayer games
- Fixed DLC achievements
- Fixed limit of friends in leaderboards. (Please verify it)
- Fixed crash in friends leaderboards

!WARNING!
This uppdate clears profile stats and settings!
Leaderboards will be reset to so they will match player profile stats.

UPDATE 17th November 2014
Changelog:
- Enabled Wrecking Crew DLC maps. (RUINS, REPURCUSSION, IMPERIAL, EXPANSION, FROST, ABANDONED)
- Added DLC achievements.
- Steam offline mode enabled
- Fixed corrupted options and player profile.
- Leaderboards are now updating correctly.
- Fixed "Find me" in leaderboard options
- Fixed some game crashes. (Thanks for the dumps!)

UPDATE 14th November 2014:
Changelog:
- Added voice chat "push to talk" option. It's enabled by default and it can be changed in the audio options. It's binded to key "Z" by default.
- Added "Join chat" in matchmaking lobby. When using this option you will be joining RFG chat root.
- DirectX 11 is now default renderer. You can turn it of by -nod3d11 command line parameter.
- Changed minimum player number for Siege and Large Mixer to 6.
- Playlists order fixed.
- Locked achievements should be now visible
- Fixed save game names for the the Bonus campaign.
- Fixed mouse acceleration when driving walkers.
- Added ability to view Steam Gamer profile in leaderboards and in-game scoreboard.
- Changed "VIEW GAMER CARD" to "VIEW STEAM PROFILE"
- Stability improvements.

UPDATE 10th November 2014:
Changelog:
- Experimental DirectX 11 implementation. It replaces DirectX 10 and is disabled by default. To enable it use -nod3d9 command line parameter.
It should fix bugs caused by KB2670838 windows update.
- Added possibility of changing game resolution from the command line. Use -w resx -h resy.
- Fixed not working command line switch to force GFWL save migration (-migrate_live)
- Player Names are displayed correctly in Leaderboards.
- Changed playlist settings. Mode-Min/Max (Anarchy-3/6, Bagman-3/6. Team Anarchy-4/8, Team Bagman-4/8, Team Objective-4/10, Siege-4/12, LargeMixer-4/12)
- Removed XP limitation for all multiplayer game modes.
- Added logs for save migration process. If your save games are not migrating look at save_migration.log file.

Additional notes:
- If error about missing DirectX dlls (for example d3dx_39.dll) appears, you need to install newest DirectX package. After beta it will be included into Steam instalation script.
- For those of you that can not change the game resolution, please update graphics card drivers and delete file DRIVE:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\My Games\Red Faction Guerrilla\Options\rfg_display_options.rfgs_pc
- If you have black screen bug and only hear sounds, please try DX11 mode (-nod3d9 command line parameter)

If the game crashed, a dump file should be created in STEAM\SteamApps\common\Red Faction Guerrilla\build\pc\cache\ folder. It's name looks like rfg_11_07_1_33.dmp.
Sent us those files as they can speed up bug fixing process and please also provide a detailed bug description.

ORIGINAL POST + Instructions

Today I would like to invite you all to participate in the public beta of Red Faction Guerilla with full Steam Support and complete Games for Windows Live Removal.

-) Matchmaking and Multiplayer via Steamworks
-) No Games for Windows Live sign-in required
-) Leaderboards via Steam
-) Voice Chat via Steam
-) Achievements via Steam
-) Uses DX9 Renderer by default as DX10 created a lot of problems and resulted in performance drawbacks (that should also fix Win8 issues)
-) At first launch the game attempts to migrate savegames from GFWL to the new system

To access the beta please do the following:
Follow this guide http://ds.nordicgames.at/SteamBetaBranchGuide.jpg
Under Step 1 select of course the Red Faction Guerilla App
Password for step 4 is: nordicrfgbeta
The branch for Step 6 is named publicbeta

UPDATE 5th November 2014:
Changes:
- The time limit between lobby disconnects is doubled
- Minimum players required to start the team game is four and for normal game it's three.

IMPORTANT:
- The game generates dump files when crash occurs. Dump files are located in the game folder (same as rfg.exe) and thir names are like rfg_*.dmp. Please send it to rfgsupport [~at~] nordicgames.at

Please keep up the reporting!

I would like to invite everybody to report errors and bugs here so we can further improve the game.

This is amazing. Not only have Nordic removed GFWL, they are actively supporting the game with new features like added DX11 support and new multiplayer maps. Check out the recent patch logs:

I'm very impressed with Nordic games. This was handled a lot better than WB handled Arkham City which only removed GFWL from Steam versions and left the rest of us in the cold.

Pretty impressive. I never got around to finishing this 5 years ago, so I think now's a good a time to get back to it.

I'm very impressed with Nordic games. This was handled a lot better than WB handled Arkham City which only removed GFWL from Steam versions and left the rest of us in the cold.

They didn't leave anyone in the cold. Enter your key on steam and you will get it.

They didn't leave anyone in the cold. Enter your key on steam and you will get it.

I'll try it when I get home. Already bought the Steam version for $4.99 which is my fault if you're right. Maybe I'll give the code to a friend and see if it will work for them.

Regardless of if you like the game or not, you gotta admit that a company willing to re-establish support for a 5 year old game is fairly impressive. It makes me wonder if they are doing this to get a feel for how much interest there still is for the Red Faction franchise. The developer has hinted at the possibility for a Red Faction: Guerrilla 2.

Regardless of if you like the game or not, you gotta admit that a company willing to re-establish support for a 5 year old game is fairly impressive. It makes me wonder if they are doing this to get a feel for how much interest there still is for the Red Faction franchise. The developer has hinted at the possibility for a Red Faction: Guerrilla 2.

I'd be interested. I wouldn't even mind if they go linear like Armageddon. My issue with that game was it was boring not that it wasn't open world and lacked destruction.

I'd be interested. I wouldn't even mind if they go linear like Armageddon. My issue with that game was it was boring not that it wasn't open world and lacked destruction.

Yeah, Armageddon was a disappointment. It was obvious that it had a much lower budget than Guerrilla. It would be amazing to see a new open world entry to the series since it has such massive potential for emergent gameplay with the Geomod destruction engine. If they did go ahead with RFG 2, it would be great to see pilot-able flying vehicles and the return of terrain deformation.

I'd love to see the engine updated and used in a more modern/earth setting. It was just too fun breaking stuff down.

It'd also be perfect for a Blast Corps reboot....

This game had pretty impressive physics and procedural destruction, too bad about the terrible AI. Enemies never spawned in a believable fashion like with the GTA and Saints Row games where there is a gradual escalation in hostiles chasing you down.

This games MP was awesome when the matchmaking actually worked. If I can find my key I will gladly give this a shot.

Fucks given. zero.

There are so many other games that were released over 5 years ago that are still being updated with fresh, free content by the developers that this one isn't even worth caring about? Care to rattle them off for us? The list must be pretty extensive if you've already become jaded to the idea. 10 years ago this was unheard of and now it's mundane, apparently.

Back