Red Faction Armageddon?

I think it's going to be a fun game. It's a lot different than RF:G though. Personally, I dont think the switch to linear gameplay was a good choice. I still find the notion of fighting as a rebel against oppressors much more satisfying than battling bugs. I'm guessing RF:A will be a solid game and a great way to get your destruction fix, but I dont think it lives up to it's predecessor. It would have been better if they made "Guerrilla 2".

The excuse Volition used to switch to linear was that they had too many complaints about driving between missions being too boring. It's a shitty excuse since they could just implement more effective transport, tighten the game world up etc. They said a linear game will better support their more directed story based narrative, but word on the street is that the story isnt all it is cracked up to be. They should have just focused on the combat and gameplay that made RF:G so great, after all, it is a game.

PROs:
  • Mr. Toots
  • Magnet Gun
  • Destruction engine better than ever
  • Great new lighting effects
  • "Descent" like flying levels
  • An improved story driven narrative
  • Boss fights
  • Enhanced Ruin mode
  • Infestation co-op mode (horde mode) looks fun
  • Sketch mode
  • The L.E.O. suit

CONs:
  • NO COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER
  • Linear gameplay (no more open world)
  • Shorter campaign (8-15 hours depending on play style)
  • Main enemies will be aliens/mutants. Human enemies will still be the game (marauders), but there is no indication of persistant human combatants.
  • Cover system has been removed and replaced with "Nano-forge repair" (create your own cover)
  • Questional replayability compared to RF:G
  • The jetpack will not be making a return :(

I think it's going to be a fun game. It's a lot different than RF:G though. Personally, I dont think the switch to linear gameplay was a good choice. I still find the notion of fighting as a rebel against oppressors much more satisfying than battling bugs. I'm guessing RF:A will be a solid game and a great way to get your destruction fix, but I dont think it lives up to it's predecessor. It would have been better if they made "Guerrilla 2".

The excuse Volition used to switch to linear was that they had too many complaints about driving between missions being too boring. It's a shitty excuse since they could just implement more effective transport, tighten the game world up etc. They said a linear game will better support their more directed story based narrative, but word on the street is that the story isnt all it is cracked up to be. They should have just focused on the combat and gameplay that made RF:G so great, after all, it is a game.

PROs:
  • Mr. Toots
  • Magnet Gun
  • Destruction engine better than ever
  • Great new lighting effects
  • "Descent" like flying levels
  • An improved story driven narrative
  • Boss fights
  • Enhanced Ruin mode
  • Infestation co-op mode (horde mode) looks fun
  • Sketch mode
  • The L.E.O. suit

CONs:
  • NO COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER
  • Linear gameplay (no more open world)
  • Shorter campaign (8-15 hours depending on play style)
  • Main enemies will be aliens/mutants. Human enemies will still be the game (marauders), but there is no indication of persistant human combatants.
  • Cover system has been removed and replaced with "Nano-forge repair" (create your own cover)
  • Questional replayability compared to RF:G
  • The jetpack will not be making a return :(
Think I'll just buy all three old games for $10 combined rather than spend $50 on this game I may not like. This will probably be on sale for far less than $49.99 eventually.

New game is so console it isn't funny. Avoid. Old games are good for the $$.

I haven't heard anything good about it. I'd like to try it out, but no way I'm dropping $50 on it.

It looks like Dead Space with a couple new ideas (magnet gun sounds like a cool gimmick). I don't think it'll be a bad game per se, but I definitely think they made it more generic and basically killed the backstory for the franchise.

I remember thinking the original was such a novel concept and it was the first use of destruction in a game. That game should have evolved into Battlefield: Bad Company 2142: Mars Bitches.

I have no plans to get this until it's on Steam supersale.

Yep, pretty much everyone has the same sentiment. It will be a solid game for sure, but most will just wait for it to go on sale. I pre-ordered on steam since I am a huge fan of Guerrilla. It's a shame they have removed pretty much everything I enjoyed about RF:G in terms of back-story, gameplay mechanics etc..

Yeah Armageddon is certainly reviewing well. I'll pick it up a long way down the track when it's cheap since all the Red Factions have been 100% B-grade games (in a good way), but I am disappointed that Volition scrapped the open-world aspect of Guerrilla. "Being underground" isn't an excuse.

I had a go at the 360 demo and yes, the magnet gun is pretty much as fun as they make it out to be :cool:.

Well, this is a day-one purchase for me. I have logged nearly 100 hours in RFG and still play it to this day.

What can I say, I am a destruction-whore. IMO, there is no game out there that does destruction better than RFG and hopefully RFA. RFG has almost become like therapy to me. If I have a bad day at work(which is often) I get home and knock down some buildings for an hour or so. It makes me feel better. :D

They spit on the fans by taking out competitive multiplayer.. the 2001 game had competitive multiplayer, what the hell Volition?!

Volition are pretty well known with taking their franchises in different directions, especially the Red Faction series. Not always for the better either.

Personally, I think they've taken a step back going linear and introducing aliens to the mix. Removing competitive MP was a huge mistake and there is a massive thread on their forums with hundreds of fans voicing their disappointment.

In all honesty, I think Guerrilla will remain the better game. Of course, this is just my subjective opinion as many people prefer a more directed and linear structure in their games. I am positive Armageddon will be a very good game but it will be Guerrilla that I keep coming back to.

I actually did end up pre-ordering this. I blame my unabashed fanboyism of Volition (maek FS3 nao plz? kthxbai), the chance to get the old games for free, and the promotional item for the Pyro in TF2.

I actually did end up pre-ordering this. I blame my unabashed fanboyism of Volition (maek FS3 nao plz? kthxbai), the chance to get the old games for free, and the promotional item for the Pyro in TF2.

They aren't free if you have to buy something to get them.

I tried the demo on my PS3. It didn't really capture my interest enough to pick it up right now. Probably later when Steam has it on sale.

wow...loving RFA so far, the weapons, gameplay, graphics are just to my liking. Hats off to Volition for not spitting out just another crappy console port.

This may be my sleeper for 2011...

They spit on the fans by taking out competitive multiplayer.. the 2001 game had competitive multiplayer, what the hell Volition?!

What's the point in dropping huge amounts of money developing multiplayer when every developer and publisher knows full-well that people will only play it for a week at most before going back to COD, Halo or BF? Unless you're looking to directly compete with those titles there is no point.

The runaway consensus on this game I've gathered is: Complete letdown, takes some unecessary backwards steps from RF:G instead of building on that game like they should have and wait until the game is about $20 or so before considering a buy.

I tried the demo on my PS3. It didn't really capture my interest enough to pick it up right now. Probably later when Steam has it on sale.
Exactly how I felt,
Although I did feel that is was more suited for the PS3 than a PC.

Just played through an hour or so, and this game has been extremely fun. The move from an sandbox to linear game was done a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. It's nice and frantic, with lots of the Red Faction destruction we'll all come to expect. Being able to rebuild the scene with the Nano Forge adds a nice touch. If you go in with an open mind and don't expect RF:G2(although I'm still a little miffed they didn't go that route) you'll have plenty of fun.

Volition also made plenty of tweaks to the rendering engine and the game look very good for something built for consoles(lighting is great). DX11 support is there, but it doesn't add anything over DX10 except for some better performance(maybe 5% in my quick test).

Ya, regardless of the direction they have taken with the game, I'm still going to enjoy RF:A for what it is. I'm in the same boat, wishing they had developed the open-world/guerrilla premise as it had a ridiculous amount of un-tapped potential.

It's good to hear performance in the PC release is hugely improved over RF:G. It was kind of expected since Volition developed PC version in-house along side the console versions. I'm actually quite looking forward to the infestation and ruin modes also.

I'll be jumping straight into Insane mode since Red Faction plays best when it is at its frenetic peak.

Personally I don't really give a shit about multiplayer (competitive or other) since that's not what I play this type of game for, but I am seriously disappointed that they abandoned Terrain Deformation after RF2. Disappointed to not see it in RF:G, and even more so when I read that that was not something that was "important to them" at this time. The Terrain Deformation, specifically, is what made the old games great more than just the destruction in general.

That's not to say that I'm not disappointed that they took the soul/fun out of the game too, but that part's been said in here already.

Do not get it, a friend got it for me and it totally sucks, its like dead space but not scary or exciting. It even has the tapes you can pick up and listen to. Also the game has so mand hints and prompts of where to go that it takes all the fun out of finding out what to do and how to do it. Mouse smoothing is also really anoying.

Do not get it, a friend got it for me and it totally sucks, its like dead space but not scary or exciting. It even has the tapes you can pick up and listen to. Also the game has so mand hints and prompts of where to go that it takes all the fun out of finding out what to do and how to do it. Mouse smoothing is also really anoying.

hints/prompts can be disabled, no problems w/ mouse smoothing on my end and if you don't like the tapes there is nothing forcing you to pick them up....

I think the comparisons to DS are fair, but this game is so much better than Visceral's last offering who have essentially said to hell w/ PC gamers.

Sry if this is a noob question, but whats the purpose of mouse smoothing? Dosent it just slow down your max tracking speed?

Bump

Last edited:
Finally going to get a chance to play it tonight after work. I'm looking forward to it but I definitely dont expect it to be as good as Guerrilla. That magnet gun is gonna be fun tho :D

Played RF:A last night for a few hours. First impressions are that the game definitely looks better than RF:G. The multiple light-sources really make a difference in how the game looks. It runs very smoothly, much better than RF:G but the environments are also much less... open.

I do have some issues with the game however. First off, I really could do without the constant CG cutscenes every couple of minutes. They appear to be low-quality and distract me from the gameplay. Also, running in DX10/DX11 mode, the game crashes randomly. It just locks up, sometimes the sound cuts out, other times the sound stays and the video just locks up.

I am going to try the very latest Nvidia drivers to see if that helps, but for now, running in DX9 mode seems to have taken care of that issue for the most part.

All in all though, I am enjoying it. Oh, and the magnet gun is the absolute star of the show. I plan on using that gun as much as possible.

actually there is a pc demo - unfortunately it is exclusive to onlive.

Heh, which is pretty much useless if you're wanting to see how the game will run on your machine, has low quality visuals and requires a fairly decent internet connection.

Onlive can suck it.

Heh, which is pretty much useless if you're wanting to see how the game will run on your machine, has low quality visuals and requires a fairly decent internet connection.

Onlive can suck it.

As much as it pains me to say this it looks like they're gaining some steam for themselves.

As much as it pains me to say this it looks like they're gaining some steam for themselves.

Oh yeah, and they currently dont support countries outside of the US. So I couldnt even check it out if I wanted to lol

Bought the game on Onlive. I have played it for about 5-6 hours. On the Onlive microconsole, with a 5Mb connection, the game runs at 1080P with a bit more eyecandy than the PS3 version (only played the demo but 720p and lower graphics settings.) Works really well with a controller, controls are a bit more refined than RFGuerilla (aka alot easier to shoot stuff.) As for the quality I can attest that some games have lower graphics than a tricked out PC (Dirt 2 for example), but I can get Metro 2033 to run on my netbook and without Onlive that is not a possibility.

Bought the game on Onlive. I have played it for about 5-6 hours. On the Onlive microconsole, with a 5Mb connection, the game runs at 1080P with a bit more eyecandy than the PS3 version (only played the demo but 720p and lower graphics settings.) Works really well with a controller, controls are a bit more refined than RFGuerilla (aka alot easier to shoot stuff.) As for the quality I can attest that some games have lower graphics than a tricked out PC (Dirt 2 for example), but I can get Metro 2033 to run on my netbook and without Onlive that is not a possibility.

true, onlive is pretty useful on my old laptop.

Sat down and had a good 4 hour session with RF:A last night and it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

It's a very good game. Polished, well optimized and the gameplay is very fun. In saying that, for me, it doesnt reach the scale and level of vision created in Guerrilla. The linearity does take away a lot of the dynamic and strategic elements that made RF:G so good and I most likely wont play through the campaign again. I find the gameplay and mission structure in RF:G so much more appealing.

The game performs much better than RF:G. The lighting effects are great but I had to spend some time getting the contrast, brightness and gamma to a good balance as the game is quite dark by nature.

The aliens are fun to fight but I still prefer the gunplay from RF:G. Sprinting is appalling.. Being able to sprint in 3-4 second bursts before you need to recover for another 3 seconds is a crappy game dynamic.

I'm about 30% through the game but I am playing the game VERY slowly... Taking my time, progressing slowly through environments, collecting every bit of salvage etc.. Also, I am playing on Insane mode which makes it challenging but in all honesty, the game is not too hard. Playing on anything lower than insane, I dont think RF:A would be as good. I havent played Ruin or Infestation mode yet.

There has been some instances where the game has hung. Twice during pre-rendered cutscenes and a couple of times during actual gameplay. Had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill the process.

In summary, RF:A single player is a solid game with excellent destruction mechanics, great lighting, excellent performance and PC specific graphic options (DX10/11 support too). Fun gameplay although not as satisfying as RF:G (subjective opinion). Magnet gun is extemely fun to play with.

Is it a $60 game? Not based on the single player. Infestation may offer a truck-load more replayability but the linearity of SP is no match for the open-world, free form nature of RF:G. The campaign is simply just not as expansive as the previous title.

To put it simply. Once I am finished with RF:A, I will return to RF:G. The dynamic fire-fights, endless strategy options, vehicles and that feeling you are actually fighting for a cause just has much more appeal to me than fighting the alien hordes. In some ways, I actually think RF:G is the greater technical accomplishment out of the two games. The GEO MOD 2.0 engine has been tweaked and improved upon but I strongly believe it would have been better implemented into a direct open-world sequel or prequel to Red Faction: Guerrilla.

some people picked it up and griped that it was only a 6 hour game and it totally dropped what was awesome about RF:G. Mainly tons of varied missions, lots of places to go and explore, varied landscapes, etc. I remember how much fun it was to get a vehicle and go crashing it into a base and wreak havoc. And if your vehicle was a rocket launching garbage truck, so much the better. :) Destroying everything, well, that was probably 60 hours of gameplay.

some people picked it up and griped that it was only a 6 hour game and it totally dropped what was awesome about RF:G. Mainly tons of varied missions, lots of places to go and explore, varied landscapes, etc. I remember how much fun it was to get a vehicle and go crashing it into a base and wreak havoc. And if your vehicle was a rocket launching garbage truck, so much the better. :) Destroying everything, well, that was probably 60 hours of gameplay.

The main gripe from people about RF:G was that the game world felt too empty and it took too long to drive places. Volition used this as the excuse for developing a linear game. To be honest, I think it was because it would mean a much shorter development cycle. They could have tightened up the game world and created more effective modes of transport to counter the issues from RF:G.

I'm really hoping Volition do create a genuine sequel to Guerrilla because the gameplay formula, mission variety and shear scale of it is spectacular.

Here's a link to an excellent tool that allows you to increase the FOV. All you have to do is launch the game and load a save, Alt-Tab out and run the DX11 or DX9 program you download and then hit the appropriate keys. I personally use the NumPad 0+2 setting. There are reports of AVG flagging it, but it is clean.
http://www.redfaction.com/fr/forums/topic/14265

Back