[Red Devil? Strix? Other?] I want a quiet and good quality 5700 XT

smaller

n00b
Hello, let’s say price is not a factor, what would be the absolute quietest but also very good quality built 5700 XT available?

From a bit of google research, it would look like the quietest could be the Powecolor Red Devil with the bios in quiet mode, but what about quality and reliability? Other options?

Note: I can’t undervolt and stuff.

Thanks

Note: I can’t undervolt and stuff.

Why not? It's as simple as changing a setting in the menu.

From what I've seen, a lot of cards have a "quiet" mode, but it's going to limit the speed of your card as it won't boost as high if it is hot. The better option is to undervolt it and set a custom fan curve within Wattman. It's really not that hard. If money was no object, I'd probably get the Sapphire Nitro+ or the Strix.

Sounds like you'd be fine with either a Red Devil, Strix or Nitro+ if you're looking for low noise levels.

Just avoid that THICC II, heard that thing is barely better than the reference design when it comes to acoustics.

I have the Red Devil 5700XT and it is very quiet. I have been using Power Color cards since the 6950 and have not had a single issue with the brand.

At minute 8, Hardware Unboxed addresses how quiet the card is:

I have the Red Devil 5700XT. You will not be disappointed... maybe the drivers might cause issues but that is known.

Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT or Red Devil are the best options.

Thanks everybody.
So the Red Devil is a solid choice.
The Nitro+ was on my short list too.

Why not? It's as simple as changing a setting in the menu.

From what I've seen, a lot of cards have a "quiet" mode, but it's going to limit the speed of your card as it won't boost as high if it is hot. The better option is to undervolt it and set a custom fan curve within Wattman. It's really not that hard. If money was no object, I'd probably get the Sapphire Nitro+ or the Strix.

I mean to use it with an eGPU enclosure (Razer Core X, modded for quietness with a 450W fanless SFX psu and a Noctua case fan) under macOS. Actually there may be some convoluted way to undervolt it anyway (a quick google tells me the injection of a kext is involved). But, it’s a bit less straightforward than on Windows. Plus I don’t need to squeeze every drop of performance out of it.

I would go with a single 8 Pin version of a Vanilla 5700 in your case. I don't see the value in buying a full blown XT to use under MAC OS and possibly be a little bottlenecked CPU wise.

I see your point, but on the other hand once I’ve gone thru the effort of buying the enclosure, spend even more money to mod it with the Nightjar and the Noctua fan, maybe add a pricey active 2m thunderbolt3 cable, etc. nickel and diming the GPU may not be worth it and getting the best GPU macOS has native drivers for (currently the 5700 XT), while keeping my “silence is king” rule, may be more of a “why not” thing..
CPU is a desktop class 65W Coffe Lake i5-8500B 6C/6T in the 2018 MacMini..

They have a red devil rx 5700 that has the same exact heatsink and I was able to flash one to the XT and achieve 3% slower performance. The XT runs hotter and louder. Trust me

They have a red devil rx 5700 that has the same exact heatsink and I was able to flash one to the XT and achieve 3% slower performance. The XT runs hotter and louder. Trust me

Guess it depends because I flashed my RX5700 reference model with a RX5700XT bios and mostly definitely obtained increased performance with no increased noise.

That’s interesting, didn’t think of that in those terms.
I could definitely consider shaving 3db at load, some degrees, tens of watts, by going with the 5700 Red Devil.

One doubt about the bios switch and quiet mode: should I just switch it to quiet mode the minute I take it out the box, before ever powering it? In some videos about these cards I heard you’re supposed to do some convoluted driver uninstall and reinstall in Windows. Hope to sidestep that by just enabling the quiet bios from the get go.

If you want quiet, just set the fan to 50% or less in any control program and be done with it. Your temps should stay below 70*c and boost clocks will remain in the 1900s for most cards with a decent cooler setup.

Decible Volume really comes down to the size of the fan and the CFM it's kicking out. As long as you keep the rpm in check, you can make any card 'silent'. You may just lost 5-10% on boost clocks in game, but if you already have 90 fps, does 83 fps really hurt?

Fact is on macOS I cannot do any windows-like assumption about being able to set the fan or underclock, and even if I could today I may not next year when I update to the next major OS release, etc. so I should probably go with something that works as intended out of the box.

My current shortlist is definitely Powercolor Red Devil 5700 vs Powercolor Red Devil 5700xt.

With both of them on the quiet bios, if i understand correctly the 5700 offers 85%-90% the performance at 75%-80% the power draw and heat.

As per hardware unboxed the strix is apparently awful, unless they updated their hardware mounting.

IMO I'd go sapphire or powercolor as they consistently put out the best AMD cards.

So the 5600xt is out and it’s basically within small% of a 5700 performance at 1080p, could the Strix one be the new silence king while keeping the GPU at cool temps and carrying the Asus Strix reliability (I read a worrying post about Red Devil RMA rates on reddit recently)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5600-xt-strix-oc/32.html

of course I realise we’re talking diminishing returns in terms of silence and the 5700/5700xt cards mentioned in the thread are already plenty silent

it’s just interesting to pinpoint the AIB card with the best balance between silence, cool temps, ability to retain 0db mode for as long as possible and reliability over a long time span..

I made this today and it is driver controlled fan speed with no help of even intake fans .. MSI RX 5700 Mech OC open of the box with Corsair TX 650 power supply on driver 19.2.1 and it stays in the boost clock a lot for stock and that temp I can take..

So the 5600xt is out and it’s basically within small% of a 5700 performance at 1080p, could the Strix one be the new silence king while keeping the GPU at cool temps and carrying the Asus Strix reliability (I read a worrying post about Red Devil RMA rates on reddit recently)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5600-xt-strix-oc/32.html

of course I realise we’re talking diminishing returns in terms of silence and the 5700/5700xt cards mentioned in the thread are already plenty silent

it’s just interesting to pinpoint the AIB card with the best balance between silence, cool temps, ability to retain 0db mode for as long as possible and reliability over a long time span..

The strix models are garbage. All the 5700s that Asus made were piles of rubbish and Asus are just selling defective cards. Look at Hardware unboxed and reviews. Buy powercolor or Sapphire. Forget Asus.

The strix models are garbage. All the 5700s that Asus made were piles of rubbish and Asus are just selling defective cards. Look at Hardware unboxed and reviews. Buy powercolor or Sapphire. Forget Asus.

Well, I have the Asus Strix Vega 64 which I bought for $200 from someone here on [H], a warranty replacement card. It is a good card and sort of heavy but, as far as overall clocks go, they are slower than my Vega 56 Reference flashed with a 64 bios. (The clocks, not the overall performance.) I bring this up to say that yes, compared to a Sapphire card, Asus is not very good.

Well, I have the Asus Strix Vega 64 which I bought for $200 from someone here on [H], a warranty replacement card. It is a good card and sort of heavy but, as far as overall clocks go, they are slower than my Vega 56 Reference flashed with a 64 bios. (The clocks, not the overall performance.) I bring this up to say that yes, compared to a Sapphire card, Asus is not very good.

Read my post. I'm not talking about a Vega anything. It's the Asus Navi cards in particular.

I’m gravitating towards the 5700 XT Nitro+ in silent bios mode (middle switch), with 0dB at idle and up to 31-32dB max at full load, because compared to the Red Devil
- the backplate actually serves a dissipating purpose and I would throw fresh air at it from the Razer Core X side intake fan; the Red Devil backplate is just for looks
- slightly more faith in the build quality
- moderately more faith in the overall chance of it failing
- gamer nexus considers it a slightly better PCB
- I guess recessed power connectors vs the non-recessed Red Devil ones?
- (optional) slightly prefer the design

Back