Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer and release

Pre-ordered the RDR2 PS4 Pro bundle today from Amazon - been half looking for a PS4 Pro for a while now since Spider-Man is supposed to be so damn good. Exclusives sell systems (sold my PS4 a while ago since I'm more of an Xbox/PC gamer)!

Review embargo is up, the hype is real. Was watching some odd footage here and there from the Russian leaks yesterday, looking insanely detailed and polished.

Reviews are pretty bananas, but not surprising .. RDR1 was like crack when it came out, I didn't see my girlfriend for 2 weeks - especially with the MP roam mode. Was easily in my Top3 of all time since then, so the fact RDR2 is finally here is surreal.

I hate watching console videos on YouTube. Thanks to interpolation, they all look like everything is actually 60fps when the reality is half that.

Really? I've never seen that before.

Youtube interpolates most videos to stabilize the framerate. Most video game recording/streaming software does, too. The video above is a fine example. If you pull up the stats it says that it's optimized for 1280x720@60fps. The game isn't 60fps, so the video makes it look smoother than it actually is.

Youtube interpolates most videos to stabilize the framerate. Most video game recording/streaming software does, too. The video above is a fine example. If you pull up the stats it says that it's optimized for 1280x720@60fps. The game isn't 60fps, so the video makes it look smoother than it actually is.

That 100% is 30fps...

I don't see it. Just because the video is recorded at 60 FPS (like all of Digital Foundry's videos are, by the way) doesn't mean the game they're showing is running at 60 FPS in the video footage.

But marketing definitely does interpolate gameplay video for commercials.
That 100% is 30fps...
Yes, it is definitely 30 FPS.

Actually, nevermind - I see where the confusion is. It's showing as 30fps via the embedded window. If you actually open the video in YouTube, it defaults to 60fps.

Actually, nevermind - I see where the confusion is. It's showing as 30fps via the embedded window. If you actually open the video in YouTube, it defaults to 60fps.
No, I still don't think you're getting it. But let's just drop it and get back on topic.

Buy a Western Xbox console for the best Western experience. Eastern consoles are gimped.

A bit disappointed in the PS4 Pro comparisons but I'm sure it'll be fine, or they'll patch it. The difference between most games on PS4 Pro and XBX hasn't been that huge, historically.

A bit disappointed in the PS4 Pro comparisons but I'm sure it'll be fine, or they'll patch it. The difference between most games on PS4 Pro and XBX hasn't been that huge, historically.

Should be a fantastic experience on the Pro, which is what I'm going to be playing it on. I've heard it runs nicely from people online.

Does this game launch at Midnight? My guy in California says he has to wait till 9:00PM

I'm holding out for a PC version even though the first game never made it to PC.
I never finished the 1st game even....

Does this game launch at Midnight? My guy in California says he has to wait till 9:00PM

I'm holding out for a PC version even though the first game never made it to PC.
I never finished the 1st game even....

There are some stores here that are hosting 21:00 launch parties. EBgames (canadian gamestop) is one.

There are some stores here that are hosting 21:00 launch parties. EBgames (canadian gamestop) is one.

LOL Nice I haven't heard of a Launch at a Store since Grand Theft Auto or Zelda games since both are console tied for physical copies.

game is getting near perfect scores across the board...I thought scores would be slightly lower (around 90)...I didn't think they would be able to match the hype and peoples expectations but it looks like they did

game is getting near perfect scores across the board...I thought scores would be slightly lower (around 90)...I didn't think they would be able to match the hype and peoples expectations but it looks like they did
It's Rockstar. If you played the first RDR or GTA5, there was a pretty good sense of how they'd iterate further. The only way was up.

This game is the new openworld high watermark.

It's Rockstar. If you played the first RDR or GTA5, there was a pretty good sense of how they'd iterate further. The only way was up.

Agreed, wouldn’t expect it to be anything but amazing. Not sure why anyone else would think otherwise, unless it’s edgy to do so?

I have to work a 24 tomorrow. Damnit. Might have to take my xbox with me to work....

Agreed, wouldn’t expect it to be anything but amazing. Not sure why anyone else would think otherwise, unless it’s edgy to do so?

a 90 score would still be excellent...problem is that most gamers nowadays only see games as amazing 10 or garbage 0...there's no in between anymore...a game can still be great with a score of 85 but people see anything less then a 95 as a disappointing game...just because it's Rockstar doesn't guarantee the game would surpass RDR or GTA5...different games and it's not easy to top or surpass a universally excellent previous game

past success doesn't guarantee future success...if that was the case every Mass Effect game would have been an A+, Deus Ex, Morrowind etc

Should be a fantastic experience on the Pro, which is what I'm going to be playing it on. I've heard it runs nicely from people online.
Can confirm, I’ve played a couple hours on my Pro and it’s an absolutely beautiful game and runs very well.

If you care about these graphical nuances then just wait for the inevitable PC version which will destroy both console versions graphically and in performance. :)

Otherwise, enjoy this masterpiece!

Last edited:

a 90 score would still be excellent...problem is that most gamers nowadays only see games as amazing 10 or garbage 0...there's no in between anymore...a game can still be great with a score of 85 but people see anything less then a 95 as a disappointing game...just because it's Rockstar doesn't guarantee the game would surpass RDR or GTA5...different games and it's not easy to top or surpass a universally excellent previous game

past success doesn't guarantee future success...if that was the case every Mass Effect game would have been an A+, Deus Ex, Morrowind etc

I hear you, and you make a lot of good points. I think with this iteration there was a lot of good hype created with the gameplay trailers, and all the various intricate details of this particular caliber that pointed to something extra special. I realize it's not wise to claim something will be amazing without in-hand proof, but it's easy to get emotional when you have little details flowing in here and there. I still agree with you though.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Version 1.0 on the console that I will play the hell out of when the eternal download ever finishes.... version 2.0 "probably" shows up on the PC per the GTA5 cycle and that will be incredible.

Can't wait.

The first RDR was the one and only R* game I didn't like. I found it way too boring.

I want to give RDR2 a shot but was anyone else in the same boat with the first one? That is, is there anyone that didn't like the first one but likes the second, or didn't like the first and still doesn't like the second?

Buy a Western Xbox console for the best Western experience. Eastern consoles are gimped.

Except Xbox has no exclusives. Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Yakuza. All these blow anything XB1 has out of the water. Last of Us 2 coming next year too.

XBO has Crackdown 3 coming so that's something I guess.

So far the only complaint I've heard is that some of the crafting and the more "sim" aspects of the game can get a bit tedious. Stuff like every time you loot a body or skin an animal it plays a long animation EVERY TIME.

Still, super excited to give this a go.

Should have my copy waiting at home tonight, though I'm guessing I'll have to download/install a bunch more data before I can play.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
a 90 score would still be excellent...problem is that most gamers nowadays only see games as amazing 10 or garbage 0...there's no in between anymore...a game can still be great with a score of 85 but people see anything less then a 95 as a disappointing game

This has been going on for awhile now:

kj3gFME.jpg

Back