Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer and release

I finished the main story yesterday and I'm working on the epilogue right now. It took a while for me to get into the game but once Chapter 3 hit I was hooked. I thought the game was fantastic. I know need to go back and played RDR1.

Well I finally finished RDR2 and it's a top 10 game of all time for me. My only complaint was the epilogue was a little too long.

I'm finally setting aside some time to try this again. I'm still overwhelmed by the sheer number of odd mechanics, meters, items, etc. Everything just feels overwhelming. Every time I do anything they throw 5 new mechanics that use different buttons, menus, processes, etc. at me. After that they're never mentioned again and I'm expected to remember all of those zany button choices and menus. Are there some things I can just straight up ignore?

I'm finally setting aside some time to try this again. I'm still overwhelmed by the sheer number of odd mechanics, meters, items, etc. Everything just feels overwhelming. Every time I do anything they throw 5 new mechanics that use different buttons, menus, processes, etc. at me. After that they're never mentioned again and I'm expected to remember all of those zany button choices and menus. Are there some things I can just straight up ignore?

You can Skip crafting. I barely even setup my camp. Avoid hunting. Avoid grey npc quest givers. Skip bounty hunting. Just stick to the main story line.

Just buy tonics/food to eat when something is low.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

Those types of game gamers really like because it doesn't matter what you do you feel overwhelmed. Thus what is suppose to happen your suppose to lose yourself in the game.
Sometimes it has the opposite effect though and don't come back for more.

You can Skip crafting. I barely even setup my camp. Avoid hunting. Avoid grey npc quest givers. Skip bounty hunting. Just stick to the main story line.

Just buy tonics/food to eat when something is low.

Yeah, you pretty much have to do this if you want to get through the story in any reasonable amount of time, hah. I did get caught up hunting for all the skins/pelts for the better pouches, which I wasn't able to get until the final chapter anyways. I also did most of the side quests/stories for the first few chapters until I realized I'm probably never going to beat the game if I don't just focus on the main missions. I did like how some of the side quests, or at least one in particular, made itself seem like a side quest but it actually played a huge factor into Arthur's story and ending of the game.

I just finished Chapter 6 last night and started the epilogue a bit though, so I'm not completely done with the game yet. Not sure if I'll keep playing much afterwards, I might trophy hunt a little, but from what I've heard this game is quite daunting to Platinum.

I ended up taking another break. There's just something I don't like about this game. The micro-managey stuff and controls are part of it, but I just don't know if I'm ever having fun with it.
Control-wise, is there some trick to aiming and using deadeye better? In terms of normal aiming, it locks on enemies...but it locks on at at their midsection. With deadeye, sometimes I swear it just won't activate. Is there some rhyme or reason why it wouldn't work if my meter was full?

I ended up taking another break. There's just something I don't like about this game. The micro-managey stuff and controls are part of it, but I just don't know if I'm ever having fun with it.
Control-wise, is there some trick to aiming and using deadeye better? In terms of normal aiming, it locks on enemies...but it locks on at at their midsection. With deadeye, sometimes I swear it just won't activate. Is there some rhyme or reason why it wouldn't work if my meter was full?

I've never noticed Dead Eye not working when I have enough in the meter (which it'll be red if you're out too). I immediately learned that it's better and more efficient to use by auto-aiming (snapping to) an enemy, activating dead-eye, then just pulling the stick back a little to shoot their head and let go of the aiming button to stop dead-eye. Rinse and repeat. That way you're not wasting a ton of dead-eye trying to aim at multiple enemies.

I'm trying to plow through this and I just don't like the mechanics. I'm at 27% completion, so I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I'm ever going to adjust to anything. At this point I think I'm just going to hustle to complete the main story and then move on. I loved the first game, but this one is just needlessly complicated. Too many arbitrary buttons, weird aiming quirks, meters, etc.
I loved the first game, but I'd almost rather go back to Anthem than play this one.

I'm trying to plow through this and I just don't like the mechanics. I'm at 27% completion, so I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I'm ever going to adjust to anything. At this point I think I'm just going to hustle to complete the main story and then move on. I loved the first game, but this one is just needlessly complicated. Too many arbitrary buttons, weird aiming quirks, meters, etc.
I loved the first game, but I'd almost rather go back to Anthem than play this one.
I can't really disagree. There's no reason to BoTW up RDR2 by putting in survival mechanics in a game that doesn't need them. I wish they would just do a survival mode or something for the people who insist on those. It's annoying to have to take time out to clean guns, or feed myself or my horse, brush my horse, etc etc. I just want to play the game, not nanny my characters.

That said, I did the probably most basic of eating, brushing, and cleaning my guns and it wasn't horrible I guess. I was underweight I think the whole time, but couldn't be bothered to eat like I guess I should have been. Oh well.

I can't really disagree. There's no reason to BoTW up RDR2 by putting in survival mechanics in a game that doesn't need them. I wish they would just do a survival mode or something for the people who insist on those. It's annoying to have to take time out to clean guns, or feed myself or my horse, brush my horse, etc etc. I just want to play the game, not nanny my characters.

That said, I did the probably most basic of eating, brushing, and cleaning my guns and it wasn't horrible I guess. I was underweight I think the whole time, but couldn't be bothered to eat like I guess I should have been. Oh well.

I don't know if I'd mind as much about the micro-management stuff if it was more intuitive and/or streamlined. There are too many categories of items, too many actions, and the buttons you use for things are inconsistent. The pacing is absolutely killing me, too. For that matter, why am I cocking my gun when I want to pull the trigger instead of before? I enjoyed games with a lot of inventory and upkeep like the Witcher, Fallout, and TES...but this is just tedious and it adds nothing to the experience. San Andreas had the food and weight stuff in a more straightforward manner, although frankly, I appreciate that they killed all of that off in GTA4, 5, and the first Red Dead.
I keep seeing all of this GOTY talk and I swear I don't get it. I don't even think it's as good as Fallout 76 and I'm being 100% serious about that.

I don't know if I'd mind as much about the micro-management stuff if it was more intuitive and/or streamlined. There are too many categories of items, too many actions, and the buttons you use for things are inconsistent. The pacing is absolutely killing me, too. For that matter, why am I cocking my gun when I want to pull the trigger instead of before? I enjoyed games with a lot of inventory and upkeep like the Witcher, Fallout, and TES...but this is just tedious and it adds nothing to the experience. San Andreas had the food and weight stuff in a more straightforward manner, although frankly, I appreciate that they killed all of that off in GTA4, 5, and the first Red Dead.
I keep seeing all of this GOTY talk and I swear I don't get it. I don't even think it's as good as Fallout 76 and I'm being 100% serious about that.
Lol GTFO. FO76 better then RDR2? Fine if you don't like RDR2 but don't say FO76 broken pos game is better.

Lol GTFO. FO76 better then RDR2? Fine if you don't like RDR2 but don't say FO76 broken pos game is better.

I actually like FO76 and I wouldn't say it's broken. It's flawed for sure, but at least whoever made it had some basic UI/UX skills.

I've never played FO76, but RDR2 definitely has had a better reception. Despite my criticism, I can't deny that it's a great game. You don't "have" to do survival mechanics. Like I said, I mostly ignored them and it didn't really seem to affect my experience, I just fed my character when his heart thingy was low, ditto for my horse. I found it slightly annoying, but not "f this game" annoying.

I feel like RDR2 is one of those games where a lot of people have their blinders on or something.
It's a fantastic experience in spite of itself. The world is large, varied, "alive," etc. The voice acting, graphics, and story are good, too.
Yet as a game it's terrible. Controls are inconsistent and poor. Basic actions are intentionally tedious. You literally can't do anything quickly. Entire (large) gameplay elements are pointless. Difficulty ranges from unbelievably easy to 100% luck. It's like an entire game of Roman calling you to go bowling. I've never been one to watch those "Let's play" videos, but this is the first time I've been tempted. I want to see where things go and I like the characters, but actually playing it just plain isn't fun.

I actually like FO76 and I wouldn't say it's broken. It's flawed for sure, but at least whoever made it had some basic UI/UX skills.
That's fine that you like. I still don't understand how you could. But claiming it is a better game is insane.

I feel like RDR2 is one of those games where a lot of people have their blinders on or something.
It's a fantastic experience in spite of itself. The world is large, varied, "alive," etc. The voice acting, graphics, and story are good, too.
Yet as a game it's terrible. Controls are inconsistent and poor. Basic actions are intentionally tedious. You literally can't do anything quickly. Entire (large) gameplay elements are pointless. Difficulty ranges from unbelievably easy to 100% luck. It's like an entire game of Roman calling you to go bowling. I've never been one to watch those "Let's play" videos, but this is the first time I've been tempted. I want to see where things go and I like the characters, but actually playing it just plain isn't fun.
I'm not a fan of GTA IV's constant phone calling, so I get where you're coming from there. However, while you may be correct about the controls, I honestly didn't notice or they didn't affect my ability to play and enjoy the story. I think a good story makes me more inclined to play regardless of gameplay mechanic annoyances as well though.

I'm powering along to the best of my ability. I've made it to New Orleans and have working through the side missions there. Hopefully there isn't too much more. Part of me wants to spend more time in this world, but I simply do NOT want to actually have to play it anymore.
The parallels with GTA4 are pretty strong IMO. Both are horribly flawed games set in a world that most designers would absolutely kill to produce. While GTA4 was burdened by overly simplified mechanics (and horrible physics), this is almost the exact opposite. For some reason I loved GTA4 in spite of how bad it was, but I'll never touch this game again once I'm done. I really hope they don't let some of this stuff creep into GTA6.

Finally done with this mess of a game. I'd say that without a doubt it's probably the worst good game I've ever played. There's a living, breathing world and an amazing story hiding under some of the worst gameplay mechanics I can remember. I really, really hope GTA6 isn't crippled by all of the nonsense they tacked on to this game.

Finally done with this mess of a game. I'd say that without a doubt it's probably the worst good game I've ever played. There's a living, breathing world and an amazing story hiding under some of the worst gameplay mechanics I can remember. I really, really hope GTA6 isn't crippled by all of the nonsense they tacked on to this game.
I didn't like GTAV because of all of the nonsense. I just wanted to do the story and some DLC expansions. The DLC became GTAV Online; the hackers paradise and the single player game was neglected. I have no intention of ever purchasing another GTA game.

Busy work in a video game is not fun. Fetch quests are not fun. MMOs are boring nowadays. Story rich adventures that may take me here or there are fun.

I didn't like GTAV because of all of the nonsense. I just wanted to do the story and some DLC expansions. The DLC became GTAV Online; the hackers paradise and the single player game was neglected. I have no intention of ever purchasing another GTA game.

Busy work in a video game is not fun. Fetch quests are not fun. MMOs are boring nowadays. Story rich adventures that may take me here or there are fun.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with the decision to focus on GTA Online rather than making DLC missions for the normal game. There's so much lore with the main characters, it felt like a waste. Plus, GTA5's much shorter than 4 and (especially) San Andreas were. I found the gameplay to be fine, though. Flying is always a little weird in all of the GTA games, but the shooting and driving were back on point. I loved the vibe of 4, but it was a god awful game that's nearly as clumsy as Red Dead 2.

With Red Dead 2 I simply hated the controls and user interface the whole time. From the menus, to the shooting mechanics, to the random functions that needlessly overlap or change for no reason at all. That doesn't even factor in the intentional tediousness. There's an amazing world and worthy successor hiding beneath an absolutely awful control scheme and OCD nightmare.

I'm still hopeful for a really good GTA6. With GTA Online (and RDR2 + online) still doing well, they probably don't have any reason to push it out until the PS5 and XB4 hit. For my sanity I just want someone at Rockstar to repeatedly ask "is this adding anything?"

Given how lucrative GTAO has been for Rockstar, I doubt we'll see anything without an online component from them any time soon. Might depend on how well RDRO does, though.

100+ hours to beat the story and epiloge here.

I took my time and enjoyed every second of it.

I can't think of any game I have ever enjoyed more. Towards the end of the story I did have some tears come out, so for me at least, it was very moving.

Even after the epiloge is finished, I'm still finding things in the game that tie into the main story and surprise me. I know there are flaws in the game, it took a while to get used to the mechanics but at this point, I can't say enough about how great it was for me.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just bought a xbone s and r playing rdr2.so far a very good game.has my interest.

Really loved this game, they really returned to the attention to detail and world realism that GTA 4 had with this one. I don't really have much complaints about any of the mechanics really, think the performance on the pro cant definitely bog down at times though.

For a console game I think performance was pretty solid. I can't think of any instances where I had major FPS bogdowns or anything like that. I'm on the Xbox One X, so that could play a role. Yes, I wish it was 900p/60 instead of 4K/30, but beggars can't be choosers. Console games are all about those sales bullet points.
Audio was also stellar. You could hear very distinct conversations and sound effects coming from all around. The musical interludes were also very well done.
From a presentation point of view, I think the game is an A+.

Looks like HDR finally saw some attention, but it's still not entirely correct. The image still gets desaturated in dark areas.

My Xbox One S isn't hooked up, it's stored in a cabinet but I can have it up and running in less than an hour to play this game. But I'm playing games in 4k now on the PC side. So I figure maybe order the Xbox One X for the 4k RDR2. Unless the S model can play it a full 1080 if any one knows? Or is it less like 920 vertical resolution? I think I'd want a full 1080 vertical res. Or maybe 900 to 920 vertical res will be just fine for me and I'm worrying about that for no reason.

My Xbox One S isn't hooked up, it's stored in a cabinet but I can have it up and running in less than an hour to play this game. But I'm playing games in 4k now on the PC side. So I figure maybe order the Xbox One X for the 4k RDR2. Unless the S model can play it a full 1080 if any one knows? Or is it less like 920 vertical resolution? I think I'd want a full 1080 vertical res. Or maybe 900 to 920 vertical res will be just fine for me and I'm worrying about that for no reason.
Vertical resolution on both the standard Xbox One and Xbox One S is 864p

^Well with that and me getting tired of waiting for this game to come to pc I should order the Xbox One X or its competition.

Back