Red Dead Redemption 2 shown running faster on Linux than Windows 10

I gave clear reasons why I think Linux is better, and not because it isn't Windows. Though with the way Windows is going that maybe correct either way. Windows has familiarity and compatibility with Windows applications. You can also be assured that any new hardware that comes out will automatically be working on Windows compared to Linux. But those are the only 3 reasons you'd want to use Windows over Linux.

View attachment 257517

I don't have RDR2 yet. I do use RADV with ACO, because who doesn't amiright? This is one of the benefits of running Linux in that the drivers are open source. At least open source on AMD and Intel drivers. AMD users have three Vulkan driver choices on Linux. AMDGPU-PRO is their proprietary driver that AMD won't release the source code. AMDVLK is AMD's open source Vulkan driver. RADV is the communities open source Vulkan driver with ACO being a project that Valve is donating their resources towards helping improve performance. BTW, Valve is not done with SteamOS and Linux gaming. When ACO is finished then RADV will probably be the better performing Vulkan driver for AMD users on Linux. In fact ACO can be even used for AMD's OpenGL driver to further improve its performance.

Exactly how many people from the community you see helping AMD/Intel improving their graphics driver on Windows by donating code? I'll give you a hint, it isn't greater than zero.

Why would I donate code when I am not a coder, that would just be dumb.

To be honest, I'm back using Win 10 now. I like Linux and wish to learn more, but there were just too many little things that were either broken or unsupported.

Don't want to completely derail this thread. The gaming performance was decent, and some games had nearly the same performance or maybe better on Linux (in 1 or 2 cases).

However, there were a number of titles where the performance penalty was substantial, as much as 20%, it's like losing a tier off your video card.

There were also things I could not fix with the refresh rate / syncing. I tried multiple distros, some worked better out the box on high refresh gsync, but eventually they all got choppy and stuttered on the desktop (dragging windows around).

Then one game I was playing, Rage 2, which had worked fine for like 25 hours of gaming, suddenly stopped working and would crash to desktop. I first reinstalled the game and that fixed it, then it happened again. I was eventually able to get in by manually editing ini files, but I wasted like a day and a half troubleshooting for no reason.

Plus I was never sure if GSync was working, I would get tearing even with VSync on, overclocking and monitoring tools are not as robust as Windows.

Also, USB issues, wifi dropping randomly. The list goes on. Just really annoying in the end. I did like a lot about Linux and I'll keep my dual boot and check on it from time to time, but I don't think I can use it as my daily driver.

Whats Ironic is that all this talk over RDR2..and RDR2 sucks as a game as far as I'm concerned. One wrong bump, you're wanted. One wrong move, you're wanted. You spend the game riding a horse.......which to me is like chewing foil, looking for faster horses.....chewing more foil. Hey better go Fish......gotta get pelts......better pick those weeds......Its like all the cool elements of GTA without any of the cool elements of GTA. Gotta craft potions/eat leaves to restore miniscule amounts of a bullet-time aim mechanic that I can't even figure out how to trigger reliably, getting ambushed by 3-4 bad guys on horseback out of nowhere then getting killed every time, waking up with less money in my pocket and still having no idea what's actually fun to do in this giant open world. Yeah, felt exactly the same about the first game. Is there an option to Farm later in the game? Grow cabbages? Maybe I"m missing out......

So good on you Linux, you got the least-fun triple-A game running 5fps better by cheating the security measures. GOOD ON YOU.

:D

The list goes on. Just really annoying in the end. I did like a lot about Linux and I'll keep my dual boot and check on it from time to time, but I don't think I can use it as my daily driver.
I keep Linux servers around; one now on a Pi 4 4GB(upgrade from a Pi 3b non-plus 1GB) and one in a desktop chassis that runs the ZFS pools, and I'm about to stand up a few more on old laptops and an appliance computer (Atom-class). Need to start doing expirimentation with auditing and logging and so on.

Whats Ironic is that all this talk over RDR2..and RDR2 sucks as a game as far as I'm concerned. One wrong bump, you're wanted. One wrong move, you're wanted. You spend the game riding a horse.......which to me is like chewing foil, looking for faster horses.....chewing more foil. Hey better go Fish......gotta get pelts......better pick those weeds......Its like all the cool elements of GTA without any of the cool elements of GTA. Gotta craft potions/eat leaves to restore miniscule amounts of a bullet-time aim mechanic that I can't even figure out how to trigger reliably, getting ambushed by 3-4 bad guys on horseback out of nowhere then getting killed every time, waking up with less money in my pocket and still having no idea what's actually fun to do in this giant open world. Yeah, felt exactly the same about the first game. Is there an option to Farm later in the game? Grow cabbages? Maybe I"m missing out......

So good on you Linux, you got the least-fun triple-A game running 5fps better by cheating the security measures. GOOD ON YOU.

:D

In your opinionbut, nothing you are saying is accurate, as far as the objective parts of the game are concerned. ,

Why would I donate code when I am not a coder, that would just be dumb.

It points out one major consumer level strength of Linux however.

If ALL of the hardware you use is on open source drivers... you will never ever ever not have support for your hardware. Everyone has a scanner, printer, old sound card, old exotic game controller (*cough the Microsoft Strategic commander, yes there is a Linux project that supports it) that doesn't have a proper Windows 10 driver... or didn't have a windows 8 driver, or whose windows 10 driver doesn't work properly with X newer Windows 10 version.

Open source drivers are mostly future proof.... their are Linux coders out there updating code for insanely obscure 20+ year old hardware. Much of that stuff ends up in the kernel and you would never notice a issue as a end user... some of it is out of tree and depending on the distro you may have to jump through a few hoops, but there are modern drivers to be had.

Commercial Operating systems have had the upper hand on brand new day one hardware for a long time... but many of the largest consumer companies are getting good at releasing Linux support day one. The flip side is however commercial consumer device manufacturers and Microsoft have very little incentive to support things forever, let alone a reasonable half decade or so.

If ALL of the hardware you use is on open source drivers... you will never ever ever not have support for your hardware.
Red Hat yanked LSI 2008 drivers from RHEL8; CentOS didn't put them back in, so you have to go find them.

Reality is that Linux is mostly device drivers, in terms of actual code in the kernel, and that inclusion of particular drivers is up to the distribution. And once the kernel evolves enough, if the driver isn't being maintained, it's tossed from the kernel period.

Driver deprecation isn't really an artifact of OS ecosystem as much as it's a function of supply and demand. And honestly device drivers as a concept need to evolve; stuff like USB where everything just works because it conforms to a standard.

Red Hat yanked LSI 2008 drivers from RHEL8; CentOS didn't put them back in, so you have to go find them.

Reality is that Linux is mostly device drivers, in terms of actual code in the kernel, and that inclusion of particular drivers is up to the distribution. And once the kernel evolves enough, if the driver isn't being maintained, it's tossed from the kernel period.

Driver deprecation isn't really an artifact of OS ecosystem as much as it's a function of supply and demand. And honestly device drivers as a concept need to evolve; stuff like USB where everything just works because it conforms to a standard.

Sure it leaves main line kernel... but it can still be compiled, and many distros will continue to include them. If not you can do it yourself. Linux land is full of out of tree device support.... in Debian/Ubuntu world its as easy as adding a PPA. In Arch/Manjaro world you may have to compile something out of the AUR. Point is it is much much easier then trying to get some old piece of hardware to talk to a modern version of Windows. (which is often simply impossible) Of course the Linux removes bits of old code form the kernel at some point... but the code doesn't disappear and for anything that was once popular someone is going to keep a up to date project going.

Your right about USB most USB stuff just works in Linux and for the most part under windows... what stops working is supporting software. Going forward the more consumer hardware companies that go full open source the better... it means companies like AMD don't have to keep software teams around working on drivers for hardware released while those employees where still in preschool, and people still wanting to use that hardware can take that old open source code and do the work required to run it under modern kernels.

And for the record Redhat and Cent are not consumer distros... cent is a free project but its just a copy of IBM redhat Linux, which is hardly the most consumer friendly OS around. (and that is only going to continue getting worse and worse now that its IBM RH)

Then one game I was playing, Rage 2, which had worked fine for like 25 hours of gaming, suddenly stopped working and would crash to desktop. I first reinstalled the game and that fixed it, then it happened again. I was eventually able to get in by manually editing ini files, but I wasted like a day and a half troubleshooting for no reason.
I admit I've had these issues. One second a Windows game works flawlessly and then it doesn't even start up. It hasn't happened for a while but I've had it happen. I blame WINE since this isn't an issue with Native Linux games.

Also, USB issues, wifi dropping randomly. The list goes on. Just really annoying in the end. I did like a lot about Linux and I'll keep my dual boot and check on it from time to time, but I don't think I can use it as my daily driver.
I haven't had USB issues but I've had wifi issues. The issue is that when I wake my laptop from sleep then the wifi no longer works and I need to reboot my machine. If I update my kernel using Mainline fuck UKUU, then it generally solves the problem. Mind you I have like several ancient laptops and I've had this issue with two.

Commercial Operating systems have had the upper hand on brand new day one hardware for a long time... but many of the largest consumer companies are getting good at releasing Linux support day one. The flip side is however commercial consumer device manufacturers and Microsoft have very little incentive to support things forever, let alone a reasonable half decade or so.
Yep, lately some leaked information about AMD hardware is usually from Linux drivers since they're open source, for day one support. The issue I have is with Nvidia since their open source drivers suck since they offer no help to Nouveau. Nouveau on older graphic cards is noticeably faster at loading up applications, for reason I do not know why, but frame rates are noticeably lower and some applications don't work. Actually some games do work for Neaveau and some don't, and the same is true with Nvidia binary drivers. Making matters worse the Nvidia 304 legacy drivers are not working on Ubuntu 18.04 and I assume 20.04 as well. There is a way to hack it to work but the results are not great. Point is open source has a lot of advantages that you don't get from Windows and proprietary drivers.

Main point is that hardware that is 10+ years old is going to get deprecated at some point, both in terms of distributions (open and closed) tossing support, and in terms of the kernels themselves evolving to the point that the hardware can't be supported without significant rework.

I give USB as an example; I've been honestly surprised that I've been able to boot up say Ubuntu 20.04 and have everything on my current systems be detected and up and running. Though I think I'm going to give Fedora 32 a bit more time given the enterprise proliferation of RHEL.

For drivers, I'd like to see less code for binary compilation and more 'descriptive' code. Something that can tell an operating system that knows how to use devices like the target device, like a printer or a sound card or whatever else, and then provides the 'how' in a higher-level manner that's portable.

To be honest, I'm back using Win 10 now. I like Linux and wish to learn more, but there were just too many little things that were either broken or unsupported.

Don't want to completely derail this thread. The gaming performance was decent, and some games had nearly the same performance or maybe better on Linux (in 1 or 2 cases).

However, there were a number of titles where the performance penalty was substantial, as much as 20%, it's like losing a tier off your video card.

There were also things I could not fix with the refresh rate / syncing. I tried multiple distros, some worked better out the box on high refresh gsync, but eventually they all got choppy and stuttered on the desktop (dragging windows around).

Plus I was never sure if GSync was working, I would get tearing even with VSync on, overclocking and monitoring tools are not as robust as Windows.

That is the biggest reason I leave my other 2 machines running Windows 10. The machine I installed Ubuntu on, so far, so good.

I gave clear reasons why I think Linux is better, and not because it isn't Windows.
No, you said only your reasons that are why you use Linux.

And you just don't wanna to accept the fact that that you can "play games" under Linux mean... nothing.
There isn't Game studios that do anonce games for Linux.
That you can emulate some software is nice, but nothing more :)

If you wanna said that there is things that must be fixed under Windows, you must know that there is a things that must be fix under Linux too, so this state is so... pointless.
Supporting old hardware is nice, cool and some people will be very happy but... why you need this in reallity where you need to buy faster hardware if you want to play new games ?

AVATARAT yiu keep saying that. But there are lots of games on steam with native Linux versions.

there are lots more that run with proton, sure, but to say no one makes games for Linux is disingenuous at best.

unless you’re trying to say no one makes games exclusively for Linux? In which case, I’d agree, but I also don’t know why a developer would limit themselves to a single platform anyways.

unless you’re trying to say no one makes games exclusively for Linux? In which case, I’d agree, but I also don’t know why a developer would limit themselves to a single platform anyways.
Yes, I mean exclusivly to support it.

I can suppose that this is a 'bit' complexed.
The company that go to do it, must have a team that have a knowledge to write a code for Linux and to made it to work for most of biggest Linux distributions. And in the end they will need to pay for development on that and to made a profit.

No, you said only your reasons that are why you use Linux.
That's exactly what I said.
And you just don't wanna to accept the fact that that you can "play games" under Linux mean... nothing.
Ok... so I do play games on Linux and everything I threw at it works. Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal both work fine. Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy works fine. Dark Souls series, Witcher 3, and Fallout 4 with some tweaks will work fine. BTW, I use DXVK. Native Linux games I play are Undertale, Borderlands 2, Shovel Knight, and Hallow Knight. I use emulators as well like RetroArch, Dolphin, Citra, PCSX2, RPCS3, and Cemu works with Lutris. Cemu only works with Lutris. Yuzu works too but after playing Mario Odyssey for a few minutes it crashes so it doesn't count. Oh, and I have Minecraft installed with Ray-Tracing addon.

Wait, I'm not done. I have classic games I play natively on Linux as well. I use dhewm3 to play Doom 3. GZdoom for Brutal Doom. I use eDuke32 to play Duke Nukem 3D. I use DXX-Rebirth to play Decent 1 and 2 games. I use Dosbox to play Lode Runner and Sid and Als Incredible Toons. This is what I can remember off the top of my head and not all the games I've installed on my Linux machines. I certainly have more games but if I keep listing them I'm sure it'll make your head explode.
There isn't Game studios that do anonce games for Linux.
Feral Interactive and Aspyr Media port games to Linux. A lot of Indie games are ported to Linux.
If you wanna said that there is things that must be fixed under Windows, you must know that there is a things that must be fix under Linux too, so this state is so... pointless.
Oh yes, we must acknowledge to faults of Linux in order to improve it. The difference between Linux's problems and Windows is that Microsoft probably won't fix them. Microsoft believes its a feature. Also Microsoft is due for an update to Windows 10 like Windows 11 or X but they know people just don't upgrade so I expect Microsoft to monetize something about Windows 10. Basically the problem with Windows 10 is Microsoft. The problems that Linux has are technical and will get fixed over time, where as with Windows the problem is Microsoft and they'll likely introduce new problems to Windows 10 while not fixing the old problems.

Supporting old hardware is nice, cool and some people will be very happy but... why you need this in reallity where you need to buy faster hardware if you want to play new games ?
Because not everyone wants to buy new hardware and buying new hardware doesn't fix the problems that Windows has in general. Also if you can prevent people from throwing away their old hardware then we'll have less e-waste in general. If money could solve all problems then we should just get more of it but money isn't as easy to acquire, especially in a global recession. Also, money doesn't fix all the problems either.

I really can't see a reason anyone would target a single niche platform for development exclusively.

Developing a game/engine that supports a cross-platform rendering API like Vulkan lends itself to easier portability, which is one of the reasons we have so many native games right now. There are plenty of games on Steam available for Linux, that run natively (without Proton or WINE or etc). And there are plenty of smaller studios that release their games on Windows, Mac and Linux.

If you're saying no one is developing games specifically for just Linux, I think you're just saying there aren't any unicorns out there. I can't think of anyone doing that at least.

That said - I'm also not sure what point you're trying to make?

Good to see that others here are experiencing a certain individuals blind love for the Windows operating system. The irony that every game this certain individual wants to run under Linux just doesn't seem to work in his usage case and therefore Windows is the better OS.

Good to see that others here are experiencing a certain individuals blind love for the Windows operating system. The irony that every game this certain individual wants to run under Linux just doesn't seem to work in his usage case and therefore Windows is the better OS.
Most of the time, Windows is the better OS, for desktop operating systems. The Year of the Linux Desktop (YOTLD) will remain irrevocably a decade in the future, simply because graphical integration is more of a pet project for the community rather than a focus (as it is for Windows, to the point that Microsoft would rather use Linux kernels for anything without a GUI).

Ok... so I do play games on Linux and everything I threw at it works.
OK, fine.
You prefer to use Linux for gaming.
I prefer to use Windows for gaming.
Everyone is happy :)
I know that I can install any game on maket without problem for few min because I use my computer just for gaming/browsing and nothing more.
If you can do the same under Linux - hum I doubt it but.. ok :)

That said - I'm also not sure what point you're trying to make?
Linux is good, but it is not Windows :)

Most of the time, Windows is the better OS, for desktop operating systems. The Year of the Linux Desktop (YOTLD) will remain irrevocably a decade in the future, simply because graphical integration is more of a pet project for the community rather than a focus (as it is for Windows, to the point that Microsoft would rather use Linux kernels for anything without a GUI).

It all depends on usage case and what you're used to. My experience with the Linux desktop is that it's fully polished and working better than Windows with better reliability - I certainly don't experience any issues with updates to the degree experienced under Windows, I've spent the week getting printers printing again after the latest Windows update.

I game under Linux and am constantly impressed.

Vendor worship is ridiculous, sadly some are more predisposed to it than others and it blinds them. Especially when they cherry pick software knowing it won't work under Linux at this point in time in some vain attempt to drive a point home. Diversity benefits everyone.

Linux is good, but it is not Windows

Honestly, not taking a snide stab at anyone - If Linux was anything like Windows I wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
I know that I can install any game on maket without problem for few min because I use my computer just for gaming/browsing and nothing more.
If you can do the same under Linux - hum I doubt it but.. ok :)
That depends because I do use both and I know the flaws of both. Generally speaking newer Windows games give Linux issues but older games is less of an issue. With Windows the issue is reversed where newer games give little to no issues but older games give plenty of problems. Fallout 3 for example is a nightmare to get working on Windows 10 but actually really easy to get working on Linux through Wine.

Web Browsing is better on Linux simply because the update system on Linux makes updating the web browsers more seamless. On Windows the apps are responsible for keeping themselves up to date which can get annoying while on Linux the OS handles it. Otherwise the experience is nearly the same on both Windows and Linux.

Linux is good, but it is not Windows :)
Linux is better but the issue right now isn't the OS but the lack of apps, especially compared to Windows which has all the apps. It's a chicken or egg issue in that which comes first the users for app developers to develop apps for or the apps for users to use. This is the same issue the PS5 and Xbox Series X will run into as well since developers have the XB1 and PS4 massive user base compared to the non-existing PS5 and Xbox Series X. That problem is usually solved with first party games, which Linux currently doesn't have. So until Wine can have nearly 100% compatibility with Windows games, we'll have to wait longer for the year of Linux.

Generally speaking newer Windows games give Linux issues but older games is less of an issue.
That's because Wine use older DX libraries if I remember right.

Web Browsing is better on Linux simply because the update system on Linux makes updating the web browsers more seamless.
I like people that like me look on every miliseconds when open web pages.
But see, there is ways to speed it up under Windows too :) and in the end - who care for 1-2 seconds more :D
And look, you install a whole OS (Linux) to have a some throbles with gaming and to have few ms better web page opening ? :p

Linux is better but the issue right now isn't the OS but the lack of apps, especially compared to Windows which has all the apps.
So until Wine can have nearly 100% compatibility with Windows games, we'll have to wait longer for the year of Linux.
Apps are important for some people as you know.
If Microsoft make a way for Linux users to pay for DX then Wine will become better untill then... I so sorry :) And your hope is Vulkan.

Wines own DX libraries, are rarealy used for anything but old DX9 or earlier stuff. Everyone uses DXVK for DX 10/11, its a Valve project and part of steam play... although you can add it to your own Wine install. For the few games where it makes sense there is also VKD3D for DX12->Vulcan. DXVK is a fantastic project there is over head doing translation, having said that DXVK seems to have very little in the vast majority of cases... and in some cases (such as RD2) it actually improves performance despite the overhead. At this point issues running modern games very rarely has much to do with DX... it has more to do with required launchers that won't run (because Linux won't turn over low level access) or DRM that won't run for the same reasons. Most of the launchers and DRM schemes take advantage of questionable windows security layouts to hook into the OS in ways that wine can't replicate under Linux.

You don't use Wine for DX, you use DXVK.

I run a vast number of modern titles just fine, many of which are DX. Fact is, Linux is now ~80% Win32 compatible.

No but ChadD already answered it. Wine doesn't use any libraries from Windows unless you willingly install them via Winetricks.

I like people that like me look on every miliseconds when open web pages.
But see, there is ways to speed it up under Windows too :) and in the end - who care for 1-2 seconds more :D
Actually FireFox runs slower on Linux than on Windows. Running the Windows version of FireFox on Linux will be faster than running the native Linux FireFox. Chrome works as fast or faster. Also flash games don't seem to work on FireFox on Linux while Chrome on Linux will work fine.
And look, you install a whole OS (Linux) to have a some throbles with gaming and to have few ms better web page opening ? :p
I installed Linux because Windows is a pain in my ass. I don't have to worry about viruses on Linux and I don't need to worry about updates breaking something on Linux like on Windows. Though I'm gonna transition over to Mint 20 and see how well that works out for me. No unwanted programs being installed without my permission. Better video drivers for AMD users. It's just a better OS overall.
Apps are important for some people as you know.
If Microsoft make a way for Linux users to pay for DX then Wine will become better untill then... I so sorry :) And your hope is Vulkan.
Actually, Microsoft brought over DX12 for Linux. Though nobody will be using it because DX12 sucks compared to Vulkan. We've had DX9 on Linux for many years now called Gallium Nine. I use Gallium Nine for older graphic cards that can't make use of Vulkan.

Don't be surprised if one day a future Windows version will be using a derivative of the Linux kernel. Even Microsoft knows that Windows sucks.

"This is the real and full D3D12 API, no imitations, pretender or reimplementation here… this is the real deal. libd3d12.so is compiled from the same source code as d3d12.dll on Windows but for a Linux target."

Yet, I have yet to get RDR2 to work in Linux nor does anyone here say they have done it, either. Show me evidence that you guys got it working, not some random benchmark video online.

Yet, I have yet to get RDR2 to work in Linux nor does anyone here say they have done it, either. Show me evidence that you guys got it working, not some random benchmark video online.
How are you trying to run the game? Wine, Wine-Staging, Proton, Lutris? I don't have the game myself so I can't help you there.

Actually FireFox runs slower on Linux than on Windows. Running the Windows version of FireFox on Linux will be faster than running the native Linux FireFox. Chrome works as fast or faster. Also flash games don't seem to work on FireFox on Linux while Chrome on Linux will work fine.

I installed Linux because Windows is a pain in my ass. I don't have to worry about viruses on Linux and I don't need to worry about updates breaking something on Linux like on Windows. Though I'm gonna transition over to Mint 20 and see how well that works out for me. No unwanted programs being installed without my permission. Better video drivers for AMD users. It's just a better OS overall.

Mate, as you know everything in our computers run as we manage it :)
If you manage your browsers they will run fast, most web pages are light and will open fine even on not so new hardware and this depend of how good everyone optimize his PC :)
About viruses, this depend of people mind in most cases and what they know about security, yes there is a really more viruses for Windows, but there is for Linux too :)

Actually, Microsoft brought over DX12 for Linux. Though nobody will be using it because DX12 sucks compared to Vulkan.
This is very interesting info, thank you !

Mate, as you know everything in our computers run as we manage it :)
If you manage your browsers they will run fast, most web pages are light and will open fine even on not so new hardware and this depend of how good everyone optimize his PC :)
About viruses, this depend of people mind in most cases and what they know about security, yes there is a really more viruses for Windows, but there is for Linux too :)

This is very interesting info, thank you !
DX12 for Linux is headless and only meant for compute to keep researchers from jumping ship fully to Linux.

About viruses, this depend of people mind in most cases and what they know about security, yes there is a really more viruses for Windows, but there is for Linux too

At a ratio of about 100,000:1.

To put that into perspective, I've never encountered a virus, trojan or malware under Linux - I've encountered plenty under Windows. Perspective is important.

DX12 for Linux is headless and only meant for compute to keep researchers from jumping ship fully to Linux.

We will see, M$ didn't do things for nothing but for profit.
Yes this is maybe for counter against Vulcan (Google_?) or to extend XBox market share or something... it is not clear at moment but I am sure that this is for more profit for them.

At a ratio of about 100,000:1.

To put that into perspective, I've never encountered a virus, trojan or malware under Linux - I've encountered plenty under Windows. Perspective is important.
The main problem here is open standart vs piracy.
People under Windows download much cracked things in which had a lot ot viruses.
So the main problem is not the OS but peoples mind/pocket/etc...

I use Windows for more than 20 years and I have few times viruses on my PC only after testing something cracked. There was a years where I didn't use any anitvirus and just scan my PC time to time with one time scansers (to be sure that it is clean).
From other side Linux is mainly Server OS where is very important to not had holes.

So the not mistake the things ;)
The part with "Linux do not have viruses" is minor with the choise for someone that understand both OS and is not for this topic I think :)

We will see, M$ didn't do things for nothing but for profit.
Yes this is maybe for counter against Vulcan (Google_?) or to extend XBox market share or something... it is not clear at moment but I am sure that this is for more profit for them.
Personally, I think it's to counter Valve and Steam. Valve hasn't given up on their Steam Machines and it's likely that Valve at some point will try again to release it. Microsoft who's behind Xbox will try to counter this by releasing DX12 on Linux which helps keep developers off Vulkan and therefore off native Linux releases. It's just a theory anyway. I can't imagine that Valve is just going to stand by and watch Microsoft and Sony release new consoles without wanting to effect their market share in some way.

People under Windows download much cracked things in which had a lot ot viruses.

I use Windows for more than 20 years and I have few times viruses on my PC only after testing something cracked. There was a years where I didn't use any anitvirus and just scan my PC time to time with one time scansers (to be sure that it is clean).
From other side Linux is mainly Server OS where is very important to not had holes.

The part with "Linux do not have viruses" is minor with the choise for someone that understand both OS and is not for this topic I think :)
And yet, infections are happening through Email even today.

Yes the Windows is more vulnerable I never said anything against that but who cares ?
You can always work in Desktop as normal user and to install things with admin account and this will give you more security but this is not comfortable ;)

As I said before, I can use both OS and I like Gentoo, but for Dekstop Gaming PC I prefer Windows just because it is more comfortable and easy to use.
If someday Linux become easy to use like Windows for gaming I can change my mind.
But this moment is far from now.
If you prefer Linux - everything is ok, but do not change this topic in personal choise war.

The last time I had a virus was on my Amiga...never had virus on any of my Windows versions.

Wake me up when it becomes "the year of linux"...zzzzZzzzZZZZzzz...

Well you could argue that the people creating malware and virus go after users and windows has a user base. However you could also say... every single high value target in the world is NOT running windows but Linux. Of course windows end users tend to download software direct from shady sources that doesn't help... but if the OS was secure it wouldn't matter, those softwares wouldn't have a copy of the OS keys with a simple Click ok to continue prompts. lol Windows is terrible at security because windows was always terrible... and in MS defense when they tried to correct it people freaked out and forced MS to allow a simple bypass to basic security. Users are stupid no doubt... but under Linux the only way anyone really compromises your system... is with your admin password and for the most part local access, and their breach will be very hard to hide. Instead of just having to trick a user into elevating the software once... under Linux to do anything of value you would have to compromise 3 or 4 different systems and to hide it well another couple. And unless you can use a social engineering hack to get someone to give you a password over a phone or email they aren't going to just give it to you with a simple Click OK to continue button.

There is very good reason why even MS doesn't run Windows servers.

If the entire desktop world switched to Linux tomorrow the successful desktop Linux attacks wouldn't really go up much if at all. For proof all you have to do is look at Android. Their are android breaches sure... and constant security patches for good reason. Still its more secure the Windows... and far more stupid people have cheapo Android phones there using for banking, direct pay ect ect. Far juicier targets.... just 1000x harder to compromise.

Users are stupid no doubt... but under Linux the only way anyone really compromises your system... is with your admin password and for the most part local access, and their breach will be very hard to hide. Instead of just having to trick a user into elevating the software once... under Linux to do anything of value you would have to compromise 3 or 4 different systems and to hide it well another couple. And unless you can use a social engineering hack to get someone to give you a password over a phone or email they aren't going to just give it to you with a simple Click OK to continue button.
Try to work with root user and to install programs from everywhere but not only from Trustworthy Repositories after that tell me the result about viruses under Linux :D
We both know what woold be the result, and yes Windows users do the same.

If the entire desktop world switched to Linux tomorrow the successful desktop Linux attacks wouldn't really go up much if at all. For proof all you have to do is look at Android. Their are android breaches sure... and constant security patches for good reason. Still its more secure the Windows... and far more stupid people have cheapo Android phones there using for banking, direct pay ect ect. Far juicier targets.... just 1000x harder to compromise.
Yes the result will be better than Windows but in the end will be similar.

Try to work with root user and to install programs from everywhere but not only from Trustworthy Repositories after that tell me the result about viruses under Linux :D
We both know what woold be the result, and yes Windows users do the same.

Yes the result will be better than Windows but in the end will be similar.

No distro has ever been setup to hand end users root user accounts to use. Linux makes it very difficult to use root access account. Windows does not... as i said though MS did try actually implementing a proper end user security model and windows users rejected it and forced them to back up the truck and go back to shite security. Combo that with the failings of their file system and much harder to secure micro kernel and its disaster. My only point is its not a realistic thing to say Linux would be just as insecure if you ran as root... well of course it would be insecure, which is why almost every major end user distro has Root access disabled (not even setup... disabled completely) There is no need for an end user to run as root ever... Linux is and has never been setup that way. Windows users for some reason think its a good idea to do exactly that so they don't have to click ALLOW every time a program is doing something.

No Linux would not be in a worse state even if downloading and installing software was the norm... and its not like it doesn't happen now. Linux users compile from source or install third party stuff all the time... for Arch/Manjaro users the AUR compiles from source from third parties. Every Debian/Ubuntu user has at least a couple PPAs installed form who knows where or .deb file packages installed. Fedora and Suse users install downloaded RPMs all the time. There is very little malware to be found in that stuff... cause frankly its not easy to use those as attack vectors under Linux. Even if you know your user is on Ubuntu cause you got them to add your PPA... and install your software, its still not enough to compromise anything. Under windows if you get someone to download your software and click Allow when windows asks them if its ok if this software makes system changes... boom thats it they have the keys to the kingdom.

The existence of Android dispels completely the notion that Windows is attacked more cause its super popular with end users. If user base was the only determining factor we would see Android viruses and malware all over the place. Its out there of course its just not anywhere close to the level the windows cess pool of malware and viruses. Its for one simple reason... any kid with basic coding skills can create windows malware. Its the easiest OS to attack, by a magnitude.

In the server world... consider the value of the targets running Linux. If it was easy to attack... banks, cloud services and the like would be getting hit all the time. When they do get hit 99% chance it was a social attack where some moron gave the attackers their admin passwords.

I would love to see MS overhaul windows into a secure for end users OS. I admit however most people would not enjoy the experience. Nothing should install under windows that doesn't go through the "MS store". .exe / .msi should only install software that hooks into the MS package manager (and they would be best to end the idea of a "store" and call it the windows package manager) They should disable admin accounts completely... and only allow them to work as non GUI accounts on windows pro or better. (no one ever no matter the version of windows should be using their machine on a Admin account). They should also disallow software from talking to their micro kernel and driver system unless it passes through them. Yes it means no more drivers that MS hasn't seen. However it would be for the best. All the large hardware companies submit drivers to MS anyway... MS tried to have some control. At this point its their OS and they should look drivers down... companies shouldn't be installing drivers as security measures ect.

And of course MS won't ever do any of that with the Windows we currently know. However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway. Yes they would give up some control. (which is no doubt most of the reason they have been worming their way into Linux operations) However at the end of the day they are out to make money, and the Linux kernel would save them 100s of millions. The year of the Linux desktop is coming... and it won't be cause Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse take over the world, it will be the day MS swaps kernels. lol

No distro has ever been setup to hand end users root user accounts to use. Linux makes it very difficult to use root access account. Windows does not... as i said though MS did try actually implementing a proper end user security model and windows users rejected it and forced them to back up the truck and go back to shite security. Combo that with the failings of their file system and much harder to secure micro kernel and its disaster. My only point is its not a realistic thing to say Linux would be just as insecure if you ran as root... well of course it would be insecure, which is why almost every major end user distro has Root access disabled (not even setup... disabled completely) There is no need for an end user to run as root ever... Linux is and has never been setup that way. Windows users for some reason think its a good idea to do exactly that so they don't have to click ALLOW every time a program is doing something.

No Linux would not be in a worse state even if downloading and installing software was the norm... and its not like it doesn't happen now. Linux users compile from source or install third party stuff all the time... for Arch/Manjaro users the AUR compiles from source from third parties. Every Debian/Ubuntu user has at least a couple PPAs installed form who knows where or .deb file packages installed. Fedora and Suse users install downloaded RPMs all the time. There is very little malware to be found in that stuff... cause frankly its not easy to use those as attack vectors under Linux. Even if you know your user is on Ubuntu cause you got them to add your PPA... and install your software, its still not enough to compromise anything. Under windows if you get someone to download your software and click Allow when windows asks them if its ok if this software makes system changes... boom thats it they have the keys to the kingdom.

The existence of Android dispels completely the notion that Windows is attacked more cause its super popular with end users. If user base was the only determining factor we would see Android viruses and malware all over the place. Its out there of course its just not anywhere close to the level the windows cess pool of malware and viruses. Its for one simple reason... any kid with basic coding skills can create windows malware. Its the easiest OS to attack, by a magnitude.

In the server world... consider the value of the targets running Linux. If it was easy to attack... banks, cloud services and the like would be getting hit all the time. When they do get hit 99% chance it was a social attack where some moron gave the attackers their admin passwords.

I would love to see MS overhaul windows into a secure for end users OS. I admit however most people would not enjoy the experience. Nothing should install under windows that doesn't go through the "MS store". .exe / .msi should only install software that hooks into the MS package manager (and they would be best to end the idea of a "store" and call it the windows package manager) They should disable admin accounts completely... and only allow them to work as non GUI accounts on windows pro or better. (no one ever no matter the version of windows should be using their machine on a Admin account). They should also disallow software from talking to their micro kernel and driver system unless it passes through them. Yes it means no more drivers that MS hasn't seen. However it would be for the best. All the large hardware companies submit drivers to MS anyway... MS tried to have some control. At this point its their OS and they should look drivers down... companies shouldn't be installing drivers as security measures ect.

And of course MS won't ever do any of that with the Windows we currently know. However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway. Yes they would give up some control. (which is no doubt most of the reason they have been worming their way into Linux operations) However at the end of the day they are out to make money, and the Linux kernel would save them 100s of millions. The year of the Linux desktop is coming... and it won't be cause Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse take over the world, it will be the day MS swaps kernels. lol

Before was easy to use root as default account, but never mind I said it just as example.

And I'm agree with most of that you said but I will ask you - why did you think MS made it in this way ?

Maybe because most users don't know and didn't want to know how to use their OS ? And they just want everything to be easy with few clicks ? Do you know that most of end users don't know their user/passwords for places that they use everyday and they just want someone to enter user/pass and to set "save password" ? Or best is when they use password manager... Most don't care about security because there is someone other that will care about that :D

And yes MS give it to them exactly what they want - sorry but this is just a business and nothing more. Who care about security 5% or 10% or 20% of people that use computers (20% is too optimistic I think) ?

And see, there is and Domain users where the administrators allow what can be done - and see everything work fine - no ? :)

And if you don't know there is Windows 10 S that is locked only to MS Store applications.

And look, one of the major reason because Linux is for enthusiasts is because they want to read and want to know and want to can to do things.

Most Windows users want to click and everything to work and after few min to play their new game. Sorry but this is just the easiest way. I don't said that I am agree with that but this is our realm.
Yes Steam/Valve/etc work in the right direction but they will need support from Linux community or they will made it with tax someday...

It is the year 2025 and ChadD comments on hard forums: " However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway." Flash forward, it is now the year 2030 and ChadD comments on hard forums: "However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway." If it is not clear, I was say it out right, that is never going to happen. :)

It is the year 2025 and ChadD comments on hard forums: " However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway." Flash forward, it is now the year 2030 and ChadD comments on hard forums: "However I fully expect they are 2-5 years away from quietly killing their own kernel and adopting the Linux kernel anyway." If it is not clear, I was say it out right, that is never going to happen. :)

Mark the date... :)

Apple has got rid of x86.
Next up MS adopting the Linux kernel.
AMD is going to unmoth ball ARM zen next year as well. lol

Give me another card to stick to my forehead and I'll tell you the future. haha

Back