Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC has issues (duh)

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Burticus, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

What? A hotly anticipated new PC game is flawed and needs patches? This is unheard of. /notreally

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-is-having-a-rough-launch-on-pc-1839640519

"Many players are reporting not being able to start the game at all, with it either crashing on the intro or giving them a message that the Rockstar launcher won’t launch. Some folks are having luck fixing the intro crash by disabling their anti-virus software. Other players are getting a message saying “activation required” when they try to launch the game, with some reporting that logging in and out of the Rockstar Launcher helps."

Good times.

giphy.gif

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Kinsaras and KazeoHin like this.
  2. amittalkin

amittalkin [H]Lite

Well, its first day of the release. Let them give some time to fix the issues.

Revdarian and harmattan like this.
  3. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

4. amittalkin

amittalkin [H]Lite

Yeah it would be better if they wait 2-3 days and grab all the problems and fix together instead of releasing small patches every single day.
    Also, there goes my hope of playing this on my 4k screen with 1080Ti :(. So much GPU demanding game.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Sure there is... it's called "the game" north of 100GB, used to be easy to guess on lots of uncompressed audio and perhaps some super high res texture pack that most people won't use, but 100+ GB... yeah that's hard to swallow.

6. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Considering the game is a year late on PC, one of the biggest game launches for the past few years and that GTAV was probably the best selling game in history (at least for a modern game) I find it a bit unacceptable to be having these issues. They have plenty of money and delayed the game, I expect a near perfect port day one. Not that I will play this anytime soon, but this shouldn't be acceptable.

HAL_404 and auntjemima like this.
  7. Roberty

Roberty [H]ardness Supreme

I'm waiting on it to come out on Steam so hopefully these issues will be fixed by then

8. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Issues should be fixed before release, not after. That's why they are supposed to do testing.

If I'm going to be a beta tester at least don't make me pay $60 for it.

It is ridiculous that now some people consider it normal for games to have "issues" at release. Would you buy anything if it had issues? Say you buy a phone and it doesn't work because the software crashes, would you say "Oh, let's give them some time to fix it". This is insanity.

auntjemima, DF-1, Flogger23m and 3 others like this.
  9. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

10. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Unfortunately that's preorder culture. People buy the marketing, not the product.

GoldenTiger and HAL_404 like this.
  11. BusyBeaverHP

BusyBeaverHP Limp Gawd

The issue is that it's only on Epic Games.

... I'll wait a few months for Rockstar to patch it.
    Steam.

12. amittalkin

amittalkin [H]Lite

Yes but they cant just emulate all configuration available for every end user playing the game. May be the game worked on their system and causing problem with end users'.

13. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

That excuse works for one off issues, not for issues that thousands or tens of thousands of people have.

Testing is not running the program on "their system". It is running it on a wide variety of typical HW and SW configurations even before handing it out to external beta testers.

14. profiled

profiled Limp Gawd

15. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

Waiting for it to come out on Steam. If that is December 2020, fine with me.

16. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

GOD'SlittleSERVANT [H]ardness Supreme

17. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

It'll be on Steam next month.

Game's been pretty flawless so far (9900k/2080)

AceGoober, GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  18. odditory

A) You can get a refund
    B) Some people having issues and being really vocal about it - and the clickbait blogosphere latching onto this - doesn't mean most people are having issues.

Things to consider.

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  19. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Since I saw the issues happening to people on this very forum that means it must be widespread. There is no such thing as a coincidence.
    Refunded at the retailers discretion. And I'm not paying $70 for the game (the asking price for RDR2 on the rockstar launcher in my region)
    If you buy third party keys it is non-refundable.

Look at me making excuses for wanting a game to work on release. :rolleyes:

I should not even be considering the option that a game simply won't work.

20. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

*Looks at sig*
    Game runs fine on my rig, too :cool:.

upload_2019-11-6_17-2-12.png

Viper16, Burticus, HAL_404 and 2 others like this.
  21. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

GOD'SlittleSERVANT [H]ardness Supreme

You damn right.

Armenius likes this.
  22. madpawn119

madpawn119 n00b

This is why i'm Waiting till it hits Steam. Hope they have bugs fixed by then.

23. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Dang, 8700k owners must be chuckling at the 9700k owners:
    Screenshot_20191107-094635_YouTube.jpg

24. MikeRotch

MikeRotch Limp Gawd

So you EXPECT a AAA game that is a year late to launch WITH issues? Oh man, what has this world come to?

25. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

What is the point as you're still going to have to use the Rockstar launcher no matter where you buy the game?

26. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

That bizarre game issue was explained in the video though...

Armenius likes this.
  27. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah it can easily be fixed by capping the frame rate or increasing the gpu load. The HT-less cpus seem to 'blow their load' on this game engine causing a weird reset after an intensive portion since the 7700k does not have the same problem and it has the same number of threads as the 9700k.
    It would be interesting to see if the AMD cpus share this behavior with SMT disabled

Armenius likes this.
  28. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but in my testing it's the water physics quality setting that is an absolute frame rate killer. It's a slider and if I leave it all the way off then I start off the benchmark in the upper 60s but if I slide it to the max then I'm in the low 40s. And there's not even water there as it's just a snowy scene...

29. profiled

profiled Limp Gawd

about 20% gpu usage hit. gtx 1080 ti for water physics quality in max.

30. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

That setting seems to take a massive hit for me no matter what what else I change. I can literally run every other setting on low and at 720p and still can't hold 60 FPS at the beginning of the benchmark with that water physics quality slider maxed out.

31. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

That comes with the territory when buying an Early Access / beta game instead of waiting for the official release - which in the case of RDR2 is in December, when it releases on Steam. Thanks to the beta testers, though. They'll make the Steam release that much more enjoyable.

32. Bankie

Bankie [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe it also controls the snow deformation feature?

33. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Just got an email from Steam (because I played GTA), it's coming December 5th... so like 3 hours from now :D

Armenius and Roberty like this.
  34. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

I'm highly anticipating the steam release.

35. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

Why? You're not getting some special version of the game as you still have to use the Rockstar launcher. Not to mention it seems pretty silly to pay full price for a game that was $20 cheaper when it launched and it's been even cheaper than that on the holiday sales.

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  36. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Make sure you put the game on a SSD drive it loads really slow on HDD. I would say a good minute it takes to load with HDD. I would of bought the Steam version but I got the Epic version for like 47.00 and tax.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  37. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

Because if I hate it, I can get a refund, just like I did GTA V.

38. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

Well perhaps you should have done literally a few seconds of research and you would know that you could also get a refund if you bought it on Epic or even directly from Rockstar...

GoldenTiger likes this.
  39. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

They're getting Big Picture mode, Steam play history logging, trading cards, ability to make Steam screenshots, Steam's greater reputation for reliability, security, and consumer-considerate company behaviour. And family-sharing and a bunch of other stuff they may or may-not use. They also get a more patched version of the game since it is releasing a month later.

Overall, there's quite a large benefit package to getting a game on Steam as opposed to another platform, and it's all free.

A person could also pay the same price for a meal in a dingy, smelly restaurant run by thugs who don't appreciate their customers as they could in a beautiful restaurant with good service and free deserts. Which would you choose to spend the same money at?

Armenius likes this.
  40. odditory

This guy

Armenius likes this.