Red Dead Redemption 2 Legends of the West

Pretty safe to assume it's not releasing the same day on PC. The most current trailers have only talked of a PS4/Xbox One release in the fall. Hopefully it comes to PC eventually like GTA V did.

It would make even more sense to port the first game over before releasing the second. Sick the marketing hounds on it as being a HD or 4K remaster, they'll love it. IMHO though, it will probably once again be sort of like the Beastie Boys compilation album, Some of the same Old Bullshit.

EDIT: If R* were wise and did release RDR1 on PC at the right price, I'd probably even bite. Case in point. Heh...

I've always wanted RDR on PC - its in my Top3 of all time - but it would make no business sense for them to release RDR on PC now, mere months before RDR 2. It would create marketplace confusion, title fatigue, and ultimately sabotage RDR2 revenues and devalue their IP - it would be net detrimental to their bottom line. Thus, the Xbox One X playing the 360 version with better frames/res is as good as RDR will ever get.

Remember that Rockstar's last title (GTA5) is the biggest selling entertainment product in history, so we can reasonably assume that they're going to continue following the business formula that's working for them, certainly when there are billions of dollars hanging in the balance.

Last edited:
I loved Red Dead Redemption. I cannot wait for the sequel. I loved the little mini games you could play in the game too.

There's a slightly better chance of cross platform play with the X1X.

Have it pre-ordered on the PS4 Pro after I saw the first gameplay video. Loved the first RDR.

Holy Shit. Which platform to get it for? PS4 Pro or X1X.
Can't go wrong either way, but if you need to buy a console first then I'd say PS4Pro since it has all the exclusives. MS's entire firstparty release lineup for the rest of the year is a Forza refresh, that's it.

The PS4Pro/X1X versions will play identically, R* are sticklers about platform parity for strategic reasons.

Last edited:
"To give a little context, everyone was exhausted from the week and it's the last thing they showed us,"

Edit: and we don't know if any of these people saying boring liked RDR.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
"To give a little context, everyone was exhausted from the week and it's the last thing they showed us,"

This will be conveniently ignored by far too many. That's just how the Internet is. It's like people almost WANT something to be bad. It's crazy.

Yeah, it is pretty weird.

Ignoring Bully and their other games tech demos, I'm hard pressed to remember a Rockstar game I didn't enjoy. Only thing I care about now is if/how soon it comes out for PC.

like this
Yeah, it is pretty weird.

Ignoring Bully and their other games tech demos, I'm hard pressed to remember a Rockstar game I didn't enjoy. Only thing I care about now is if/how soon it comes out for PC.

Same here. I would like to think maybe it gets the GTA 5 cycle treatment.

Hopefully, be even nicer if they dropped RDR for PC to give us something to do in the meantime :)

like this
Has Rockstar commented on the enhancements for the PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X? I know they have a deal with Sony for additional DLC items, but I'd still rather play the game on the XB1X if it's going to have any sort of graphical enhancements. If it doesn't...well then Sony's DLC wins out.

Has Rockstar commented on the enhancements for the PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X? I know they have a deal with Sony for additional DLC items, but I'd still rather play the game on the XB1X if it's going to have any sort of graphical enhancements. If it doesn't...well then Sony's DLC wins out.
They won't be much difference between them. The Xbox one should be a little better but not very noticeable.

I had a $10 off coupon for the XBL store that was about to expire so I went ahead and pre-ordered the Xbox One version. I figure they probably won't be much different, but I'm hopeful that there might be a tiny visual boost. At the very least, I know I prefer the Xbox controller for aiming.

I had a $10 off coupon for the XBL store that was about to expire so I went ahead and pre-ordered the Xbox One version. I figure they probably won't be much different, but I'm hopeful that there might be a tiny visual boost. At the very least, I know I prefer the Xbox controller for aiming.

Since Sony and Rockstar have some sort of deal going on between them for RDR2 I wouldn't be surprised if Sony snuck in a parity requirement in there as well.

Since Sony and Rockstar have some sort of deal going on between them for RDR2 I wouldn't be surprised if Sony snuck in a parity requirement in there as well.

Sony has nothing to do with cross platform parity - that's Rockstar's business decision and would be there no matter what. RDR2 is their next multi billion dollar game, and their ROI is a function of selling the most copies of the game possible, not picking sides and pushing a particular console.

A friend at a AAA publisher explained long ago why console platform parity is a common industry practice for maximizing ROI - because if one console's version gets a reputation in reviews as being inferior - even slightly, they lose sales because some people will skip the title altogether.

"But what about PC version of GTA5 being better" - not as relevant, and doesn't factor into the fragile surface tension of the console market the same way. Console kids arent sweating the PC version the same as the opposing console's version.

ROCKSTAR has no upside - zero - to providing enhancements to the XboneX version and having it become known as the "better" version. It will not help them sell more copies and would instead cost them potentially tens or hundreds of millions when magnified.

The stakes are insane on this title. Everything they're doing is extensively calculated and forecast, the staggered PC release is also very purposeful.

Last edited:
Sony has nothing to do with cross platform parity - that's Rockstar's business decision and would be there no matter what. RDR2 is their next multi billion dollar game, and their ROI is a function of selling the most copies of the game possible, not picking sides and pushing a particular console.

A friend at a AAA publisher explained long ago why console platform parity is a common industry practice for maximizing ROI - because if one console's version gets a reputation in reviews as being inferior - even slightly, they lose sales because some people will skip the title altogether.

"But what about PC version of GTA5 being better" - not as relevant, and doesn't factor into the fragile surface tension of the console market the same way. Console kids arent sweating the PC version the same as the opposing console's version.

ROCKSTAR has no upside - zero - to providing enhancements to the XboneX version and having it become known as the "better" version. It will not help them sell more copies and would instead cost them potentially tens or hundreds of millions when magnified.

The stakes are insane on this title. Everything they're doing is extensively calculated and forecast, the staggered PC release is also very purposeful.
Sony absolutely can have a say when money is exchanged. Whether Rockstar/Take-Two decided to accept the parity clause (if one existed) is unknown. Everyone and everything has a price. If a publisher chooses a "side" they have their price and normally it'll cover the cost of any lost sales from the competitor and then some. That's just normal business and not even exclusive to the video game industry.

All gameplay footage has been captured on the PS4 Pro and Sony has been advertising the game immensely with exclusive bundles and items. The extent of the deal isn't known to anyone outside of the companies but based on what we've seen so far it wouldn't surprise me if Sony required parity to complete the agreement.

And parity isn’t as common as you say. A very large number of games this generation didn't have parity; go look through Digital Foundry’s comparison videos. The Xbox One regularly played games at 900p while the PS4 versions played at 1080p. The Xbox One X now plays a lot of games at native 4K while the PS4 Pro has to resort to checkerboard rendering to achieve "4K". Some versions of games even had other graphical advantages such as more foliage or better reflections too. And don’t get me started with last generation where the Xbox 360 regularly shat on the PS3 for cross platform titles.

Back