Red Dead Redemption 2 Companion App Files Hint at PC Version

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As if there wasn’t enough indication that Red Dead Redemption 2’s console exclusivity would only be temporary, one fan has discovered files within the RDR2 Companion App referencing a “PC version and multiple settings that would come with it.” Noteworthy parameters include “PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpPC” and “CommandIsPcVersion(void) 000000000166A12C.”

From a PC mention on a Rockstar employees' linkedin to a retailer posting a listing for the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2, rumours have been flying around like crazy speculating that the game will have an appearance on Steam sooner or later. However, the most concrete rumour so far has appeared - inside the files of the Red Dead Redemption 2 Companion App.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I do expect this to come to PC next year.... But people always seem to forget these games are built using PCs and tested using PCs before final testing is done on the consoles themselves. So by that fact alone there will be nuggets of PC specific code in there.

Then again i fell for the Halo 5 might be coming out on PC story a few weeks back. :(. That turned out to just be gamers hoping.

I do expect this to come to PC next year.... But people always seem to forget these games are built using PCs and tested using PCs before final testing is done on the consoles themselves. So by that fact alone there will be nuggets of PC specific code in there.

Then again i fell for the Halo 5 might be coming out on PC story a few weeks back. :(. That turned out to just be gamers hoping.

Hard to take the developers words for it (with RDR2 and Halo5) as they wouldn't want to cannabilize the console release. They can hold the PC release off until a more advantageous time (like a gap in the series). If end users know a PC release is coming and/or a projected date, they're less likely to just buy the console version and will opt to wait.

My guess is that RDR2 will launch next year with RDR Online. I could see Halo5 launching for PC inbetween the Halo5 console launch and the Halo6 launch.

I've played RDR1 on console and loved the game. I can only hope RDR2 comes to PC as from what I've seen of the game I'm really impressed.

I've gone back to my PC gaming roots this generation. I don't have any current gen-consoles. I waited until GTA5 made it to the PC without even seeing the game. I just considered it unreleased. It seems like I'll do the same with RDR2,

Besides the PC related parameter, another very interesting parameter discovered in those RDR2 app files:

The most interesting parameters are:
PARAM_FrameLimit - A framelimiter.
PARAM_DX11Use8BitTargets - Probably due to Xbox One.
PARAM_HDStreamingInFlight - Present in GTA V (PC)
PARAM_Oculus
PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpDurango
PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpOrbis
PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpPC
PARAM_singleThreadedRenderer
PostFX::g_CheckerBoardEnable

Interesting....

Durango = xbox devkit, orbis = PS4 dev kit right? Its been so long i cant remember for sure. The Oculus part is kinda interesting. I really am pretty sure they will do what they did with GTA5 and just wait a while so they can milk their customers for 2 60$ games. Ill just wait for PC and if not, guess i wont play it. Never played the first one either.

I don't know why this even continues. The original suffered from development hell. I remember the stories about the source code being either unavailable or in such a state it couldn't be ported. There's no reason at all to assume the same of RDR2. So of course they would want the extra PC sales once console sales run their course.

Man they’re gonna milk people hella bad. Kinda like LA Noir where I have it on like 3 platforms.

I’ll wait for the VR version after I finish it on the ps4.

Uh, no. It's amazing open world game that you can get completely lost in.

Lets put it this way. The only reason I play Fallout 3D games is that I don't have to use VATS. Otherwise I would not play them. I don't mind RP but I'll work the guns. I got this from Stalker I think. ;)

Lets put it this way. The only reason I play Fallout 3D games is that I don't have to use VATS. Otherwise I would not play them. I don't mind RP but I'll work the guns. I got this from Stalker I think. ;)

Naa, you're still completely off what the game is.

Back