Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming to PC November 5th

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Rockstar finally confirmed the news PC cowboys have been waiting for: Red Dead Redemption 2 will release on PC...few details were revealed in the announcement, but the studio did commit to a release date of November 5th, with special bonuses available to players who pre-purchase through the Rockstar Games Launcher starting October 9th

the Steam version won't be available until December...

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...campaign=rdr2pc-10042019&utm_content=newswire

Played the entire thing on an Xbox. Will play the entire thing again on PC. Hopefully the controls suck a bit less but great game.

Still going to wait for a sale. I don't plan on playing it without a few mods anyway. So, you gotta wait for those to show up. Still, good to see it finally coming. Even if it requires the Rockstar Launcher.

I know I should be excited, but I'm not, why is that?

I bought this game the week it came out for Xbox One and played almost 15 minutes of it. I couldn't stand using a controller. I've been waiting a long time for this and I'll buy it day one for sure.

cut paste from link...

For those yet to download the Rockstar Games Launcher, be sure to download by Tuesday October 8th to get Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for free.

If you are in to pre-purchasing and choose rockstar launcher, it appears you can get two free games.

Pre-purchases for Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC begin at 11AM ET on October 9th exclusively on the Rockstar Games Launcher through October 22nd, with a limited time offer during this period of two free Rockstar Games PC titles from the following:

• Grand Theft Auto III
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition
  • L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
  • Max Payne 3: The Complete Edition

Why? You still got to use RS launcher. At least buying from RS they get all the money and not loose 30% to Valve. Don't care any more about the game. Love the game on PS4 but I had my fun with it.

1) They won't be "losing 30%" to Valve. a) it'll be sliding scale since big title that will sell in millions of $, b) they'll be making 80+% more than zero on all the people that will only buy on Steam, in part due to greater visibility there. More total revenue with multiple stores.

2) I like Valve's company and philosophy more than Take Two's.

3) I like Steam features and services more than I like Rockstar Launcher's (lack of).

4) I don't like the proliferation of more and more independent launchers because it's inconvenient and they tend to be half baked.

5) As a consumer, I don't care how the sausage is made, meaning I also wouldn't walk into a store or restaurant and buy/order based on what the place is making the best margin on rather than what is best for me - it's not my problem.

Bottom line, Take Two is a shrewd company and wouldn't be co-selling on Steam if it wasn't in their financial best interest. This is a company that staggers PC releases to get double-dip buys, after all.

Last edited:
Why do you care?

1) They won't be "losing 30%" to Valve. a) it'll be sliding scale since big title that will sell in millions of $, b) they'll be making 80+% more than zero on all the people that will buy on Steam due to greater visibility there. Greater total revenue by selling on Steam versus just on their own store/launcher. I realize basic math tends to allude the "30% ValVe CuT" guys.

2) I like Valve as a company more than Take Two as a company

3) I like Steam features and services more than I like Rockstar's

4) I don't like the proliferation of more and more independent launchers because it's inconvenient and they tend to be half baked.

5) As a consumer, I don't care how the sausage is made, meaning I also wouldn't walk into a store or restaurant and buy/order based on what the place is making the best margin on rather than what is best for me - it's not my fucking problem.

Well, according to him to you have to use the Rockstar launcher regardless.... I wonder if thats true (never played any rockstar games...)

Meh, I played and got my fun out of it on console, not gonna go back. I know several people that don't have consoles though, so they'll probably pick it up and play it on PC.

Sweet! Been looking forward to this, but I'll still be waiting 'till it gets a steam discount. Hopefully it goes for <$40 sometime around xmas.

...I wonder if this will be the excuse I need to finally buy a new video card. I had decided my next GPU should be one that comes with a free copy of CyberPunk, but maybe I should jump the gun and start looking for RDR2 bundles...

If it looks good to me when it comes out, I'll get it on Steam. I'll choose Steam because Valve are largely responsible for the success of all modern digital distribution sales, so they deserve credit for that. And because Steam has loads of features that I use. And because I trust Steam to have greater posterity than the RS service and if the RS service ever shuts down I expect they'll detach their games on other platforms from their service. Also, RS are kind of assholes - greedy, double-dipping, swindling, sloppy PC-port assholes - and so I don't feel enthusiastic about wanting to support them as much as I can. Even CD Projeckt, who deserve all the support they get, aren't going to get me to buy their game on a platform I'm not interested in.

I don't buy a car for the dealership to get the most money from me they can, I buy it to serve my needs and interests. I also don't buy a movie so that the film studio with millions of dollars can buy a couple more lattes, but because I actually want to watch the movie and enjoy it on my own terms. Same with games: I don't buy them so that filthy-rich publishers can bathe in a few more dollars, but because I want to play them, on a specific platform, using that platform's specific features, and to have it in my games library which is mainly at a certain place. Benefiting a developer is not the primary consideration when purchasing a game, just as the publisher and developer don't work for the purpose of giving me all their money.

I want to know what PC optimizations are included...the Xbox version looked pretty amazing from what I hear...

Already played it on PS4 Pro and definitely enjoyed it. But ain't nobody got time to be playing huge games like that twice with the backlog I have already, hah. Might get it on a sale for < $20 in a couple years or something anyways though. I really wish they would finally port the first RDR to PC though, as I actually haven't played through that one yet. I guess I should just get it on my Xbone X since it actually got patched on there for 4K support a while back.

Hopefully it will have good sli support and high hz support like gta V. I was able to get around 110 fps average at 2560x1440 with my 1080ti sli even with several visual mods (textures, Fx, etc. couldn't crank the AA up too much though vs frame rate hit) as well as gameplay and physics mods. Witcher 3 was a great sli title as well so hopefully cyberpunk will be too. If you aren't feeding a high hz screen at least a 100fps average (something like a 70 - 100 - 130 graph) you aren't really getting appreciable gains out of high hz.

I never bought RDR2 or spider man on ps4, only big ones I bought were bloodborne, horizon, and god of war. 60hz and as low as 30fps console is always very chopped movement in animations and fluidity, and if you ever try to pan the camera around like you would on a pc the sample and hold blur smears the whole viewport. Luckily console default smart camera keeps your panning pretty minimal and turning combined with camera tracking speed wise by comparison but the choppy animation due to frame rate was always a grin and bear it thing for the exclusive game content.

Bloodborne and god of war would be cool on pc too but I doubt that would ever happen. At least there is assassins creed odyssey available on pc (rather than God of war). Dark souls 3 is still 60fps limited on pc but runs way smoother than bloodborne on ps4. I think you can trick or mod sekiro into running unlocked without it being game breaking too.

Last edited:
Hopefully can get it to run well at 4K and remove the blurry graphics from the console versions.

Why? You still got to use RS launcher. At least buying from RS they get all the money and not loose 30% to Valve. Don't care any more about the game. Love the game on PS4 but I had my fun with it.

Steam backs up every version of a game on their servers. Using the Steam Console, you can force a game back to a specific version; even if the version you want isn't listed. This allows modding a game like GTA V to be very easy. If I just own RDR2 on the Rockstar Launcher, I am going to need a crack to play on the version I want to play.

So many great mods for GTA V single player, and mods for FiveM. If we want to enjoy it, we will need the Steam version for convenience.

Rockstar tries so hard to break this, all for their terrible online.

Hopefully can get it to run well at 4K and remove the blurry graphics from the console versions.
And maybe HDR will finally work properly...

jQmVFypWInKCc.gif

Steam backs up every version of a game on their servers. Using the Steam Console, you can force a game back to a specific version; even if the version you want isn't listed. This allows modding a game like GTA V to be very easy. If I just own RDR2 on the Rockstar Launcher, I am going to need a crack to play on the version I want to play.

So many great mods for GTA V single player, and mods for FiveM. If we want to enjoy it, we will need the Steam version for convenience.

Exactly. Also, do R* really need the extra 30%?

Meh.

Console games never quite wind up appealing to me. They always feel developed for a sort of lowest common denominator.
Just about the majority of all triple AAA games are cosole nowadays. And the only one that I know of that's pure pc is Star Citizen, so enjoy.

yes even if they are designed for pc they seem to market down into the other direction too. They are making a version of witcher 3 for the switch for example, and fortnite phone version, etc. Kiosk-ware gaming is lucrative.

Hopefully with the next gen of consoles (Xbox, ps5) touting 120hz support and higher frame rates the lines will blur more between pc and console platform while the games will blur less (and gain more motion definition as well). Specifically pc versions of the titles not being capped at 60Fps-Hz.

Last edited:
Hrm. Perhaps I'll give it a shot. Wonder if 3600 and a 1060 6GB will be enough for measly 1080p @60hz gameplay. I would think so. Uncertain if it could break the clutches Path of Exile has on my testicles at the moment.

edit: any ideas on what the cost would be? Haven't purchased a AAA game in a long time. Aren't they something like $100 now?

Hrm. Perhaps I'll give it a shot. Wonder if 3600 and a 1060 6GB will be enough for measly 1080p @60hz gameplay. I would think so. Uncertain if it could break the clutches Path of Exile has on my testicles at the moment.

edit: any ideas on what the cost would be? Haven't purchased a AAA game in a long time. Aren't they something like $100 now?
$59.99

I believe that if you can run GTA 5 fine you'll be able to run this fine. RDR2 will be a bit more capable, but from a fidelity standpoint it's on-par with GTA 5. GTA 5 is generally more demanding due to the modern enviroment anyways.

I know I should be excited, but I'm not, why is that?

I was, but then kept reading about how long it is. I just don't have time to sit down for 80-90 hours very often (who the hell does?). Plus, it seems like you spend around 20-30 hours walking back and fourth and collecting furs.

I really want to play a game set in the old west, but I'm not sure if I can do the same generic actions that we do in literally every game these days for days on end. I just don't see the appeal. Why not release a separate hunting or fur trading game for those that love that stuff.

Just about the majority of all triple AAA games are cosole nowadays. And the only one that I know of that's pure pc is Star Citizen, so enjoy.

Understood. But there are some that are developed with more of a PC audience in mind, and many that are developed first for console and then sloppily ported to the PC.

I don't have particularly high hopes for this game. I also generally avoid anything that I have to ever play in third person mode.

I've never played the first one, so what kind of game is it, beyond it's a Western? Whats the gameplay like? What makes it amazing?

I've never played the first one, so what kind of game is it, beyond it's a Western? Whats the gameplay like? What makes it amazing?

Youtube is amazing for these kinds of questions. ;)

Now this is a great answer/argument to use Steam!
I never knew this! Using Steam Console to download a specific version of game!

Back