RED and Sharp team up on 8K monitor technology

We have a Sharp 4k that is THX certified for picture. I can only imagine what the 8k version would be like. :eek:

1080p has dominated for like 15 years. 4K is just getting its foot in the door and will be the standard for another decade plus. 8K will be a pipe dream for any real content, be it gaming, movies on disc or streaming for quite a many years.

Would love a 32" 8K monitor. No bigger than that. Imagine the super high PPI and clarity you would get and 32" is a good size without being overwhelming. It would be like looking out a window. Lack of 8K content tho...

Would love a 32" 8K monitor. No bigger than that. Imagine the super high PPI and clarity you would get and 32" is a good size without being overwhelming. It would be like looking out a window. Lack of 8K content tho...
Dell UP3218K

Yeah, we don't even have 4K at higher than 60Hz. I imagine we'll see 8K monitors AT ALL in 2021ish.

Dell UP3218K

I guess I better start saving up for 2 1080 Tis and the monitor itself... But the lack of 8K content, the PPI would be amazing. 400-500% scaling should be enough to get same text size as 27" 1080p only much sharper. The PPI on my 32" 4K still isn't quite high as I'd like it to be and I don't want to go smaller for the higher PPI either. I went from 102 PPI of my old 22" 1080p and still want more...

Dead pixels will be a problem. I bet it's almost impossible to get a 8k(33 million pixels) monitor without dead pixels.

I guess I better start saving up for 2 1080 Tis and the monitor itself... But the lack of 8K content, the PPI would be amazing. 400-500% scaling should be enough to get same text size as 27" 1080p only much sharper. The PPI on my 32" 4K still isn't quite high as I'd like it to be and I don't want to go smaller for the higher PPI either. I went from 102 PPI of my old 22" 1080p and still want more...

Wish they would offer 32 inch 5k monitors for those of us who aren't ready to go with 8k yet. Iiyama is going to release a new 5k monitor but still at 27 inches. I'll be getting it regardless though.

Reactions: Ors
like this
Wish they would offer 32 inch 5k monitors for those of us who aren't ready to go with 8k yet. Iiyama is going to release a new 5k monitor but still at 27 inches. I'll be getting it regardless though.

all 5K monitors are using the same apple panel.

Dead pixels will be a problem. I bet it's almost impossible to get a 8k(33 million pixels) monitor without dead pixels.
Actually quite the opposite, dead pixels are more tolerable the higher the PPI since you don't see them anymore. On 27 inch 4k for example you would need to look for them with your nose in the screen, 32 inch 8k you would probably need a magnifier to spot them...

Actually quite the opposite, dead pixels are more tolerable the higher the PPI since you don't see them anymore. On 27 inch 4k for example you would need to look for them with your nose in the screen, 32 inch 8k you would probably need a magnifier to spot them...
It doesn't matter. If I buy a very expensive screen I don't want dead pixels at all.

Back