Red + and Black - speakers?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I found some old speakers in my parent's with red and black clips labeled plus and minus on the back. I don't have much experience with these except for my logitech z5500 system. I know they take speaker wires but I don't know how to set it up so I can play music from my iphone using them. My z5500 connects all the satellite speakers to the subwoofer via speaker wire and the same plug for power and signal. But I only have these old speakers by themselves and no reciever or anything to drive them. I want to make use of them but don't really want to shell out too much money.

if you arent wanting to spend much something like this should work http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KZNP4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8

assuming those speakers aren't very power hungry that is. You may also need an auxiliary cable to convert your phone to RCA to plug into it if you don't already have one(not sure if the unit comes with one or not) but that isn't but a few dollars. Something like this isn't really upgradeable though if say you wanted to add a sub woofer down the road but if you're looking just to get something small that will produce some sound for those speakers with no desire to improve it down the road it should work, it's $29 shipped at the time of this post which isn't too bad

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any info printed on the back of the speakers? Like watts, ohms, etc. Even a model number might help.

They are Yamaha NS-A2835 speakers. Suggested watts on the back is 10-160W. I can only find the two speakers by themselves and nothing more. I don't really hope to make a complete setup but I want to make use of them since they look like pretty decent speakers.

that amp I posted should work then, it's 15w a channel which is in the speakers range. You won't be shattering windows but it'll produce some sound. Just be sure to get an aux->rca adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=pd_cp__2

that one is $2.50 shipped but I'm not sure if iphones use a standard headphone jack? I know my android does but I can't say for certain since I've never used an iphone, that's something you'd have to look into

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks I will check it out.

So these kind of speakers must attach to an amplifier in order for them to work? And the amp you suggested looks a little bit too small (both size and power) for these speakers. I know my tiny z5500 satellites each takes around 30-50w of power for them to sound right.

It depends on the efficiency of the particular speakers and the way "wattage" is rated on the amp. The 500W or whatever that Logitech rates their speaker system at isn't the same as how a proper higher end audio product would be. 30 watts can be plenty loud when delivered through the correct speakers. As for an amp it looks like all you are needing is a stereo amp and the correct cable (headphone to RCA) to hook your ipod to it. I'd check craigslist myself you'll find a great deal on a really nice older amp I'm sure. It doesn't need to be anything more than a stereo amp/receiver, anything made since the mid to late '60s will be fine :)

Dustin

Back