Red (AMD) Box Complete!

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I've been on the Intel bandwagon since the core 2 line of cpu's, but I've recently been discovering for myself how good the alternatives from AMD also are. And it was time to build a new work computer for myself, so I decided to build one using some new/different technologies than what I use at home (Sig Rig). So instead of intel cpu/chipset and nvidia gpu, I'm goin all AMD. And what would be better for this than a red case? A red M-ITX one of course!

Enough babbling, here's the pics:

Phenom 2 x3 720BE
Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1866 SO-DIMM
Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe
Corsair H50
Sata DVD+-RW
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
OCZ 750Watt Modular Fatal1ty Power Supply
And there's also a Radeon 5870 in there that's just for test fitting, will probalby pick up a 6000 Series card after launch.

Closeup showing how close the fan is to the PSU. I'd say the PSU overhangs about 1/4 of the width of the fan, leaving quite a bit of room for it to draw air. I originally wanted to have the radiator on the bottom so the fan led's would still be visible on the top, but the fittings out of the radiator ar too long and would run into the ram modules or power supply, depending on orientation.

Just showing how much clearance there is in the case with the video card. The card is a saphire toxic 5870.

Last edited:
And it's in! i didn't bother taking any pics since there isn't much to see, since it's a smaller card than the 5870. But if anyone is curious, I can probably make that happen.

I'm curious to see the HD 6850 inside that system!

Gotta love anodized aluminum - it's amazing how quickly space fills up in there! Especially that PSU.

Almost something sad that it's AMD and not ATi red anymore.

Nice work!

Better to have too much power than not enough :D

Very clean build.. Also very similar to my finished product (will be done in another month or 2 when my wife lets me order the rest of the parts)

Currently Have the Asus mITX, with the Same Kingston hyper X 1866 kit, and a Gigabyte 6850. But I have a Phentom x2 555 thats unlocked & underclocked (currently in x3 form at 2.8 Ghz). But I am going to be shoving mine in a Lian Li PC q11b. I am going to try to mount a h50 (or the coolit version) to a 140mm to 120mm fan adapter & mount it in the front. And I am using a Silverstone Strider 650w PSU that is going to get a little Lian Li PSU extender & Short cable kit action.

Well, it survived it's first lan party and it came through great. Between folding 24/7 at work and then several hours of black ops on the weekend, I can say it's been a very stable build.

hey rob... really nice red box!!

we met in facebook... waiting for saphire m-itx MB
i just bougth the Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe too lol

What kind of cooler do you run with that for the CPU? I'm very interested in building a smaller PC like this, Have you ran into any issues with cooling?

EDIT: saw you ran the H50, Any issues with that?

Last edited:
hey rob... really nice red box!!

we met in facebook... waiting for saphire m-itx MB
i just bougth the Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe too lol

Yeah, it looks like that board is probably never coming stateside, which made me sad, had to sell off my OCZ AMD Black Edition memory :(

What kind of cooler do you run with that for the CPU? I'm very interested in building a smaller PC like this, Have you ran into any issues with cooling?

EDIT: saw you ran the H50, Any issues with that?

Mounting the h50 up top is very snug. Had I gone differently, like with a silverstone psu with short modular cables, it would have more clearance between the psu and the front fan, probalby would have mounted the radiator there.

Just a minor update but nothing worth taking pictures of. My M4a88T-I Deluxe DVI port went bad, so I rma'd it. I know I'm not using it when using a discrete card, but wanted to take care of it while still under warranty and before the problem migrated to something else more significant.
On the up side, they sent me back a newer revision of the board with the additional heatsink in the upper right corner. In addition, I picked up a 1035t 6 core cpu off ebay, gonna see how far I can OC it ;) Finally, I swapped the switch/led mounts so the power switch now glows red instead of blue. Been thinking about getting another q08 for a different project, so i might swap out the red led/switch from that, so both the power and hdd activity leds glow red.

Back