Red Alert 3 using same DRM as Spore and ME

Maybe EA should take a lesson from Stardock & realize that no DRM equals higher success with a great game.

Those guys at EA never learn this time they are trying to say it's less restrictive becouse they allowed FIVE installs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=233484

EA the worst enemy pc gaming ever had.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54638

I counter. Still DRM'd but they dev says it will be more lenient than Spores.

"The game disc will not be required to launch the game, and up to five installations will be allowed. After five installations, up from three for the EA published Spore and PC version of Mass Effect, users will be required to contact EA customer service"

Wasn't Mass Effect cracked pretty quick from the get go? And I've seen numerous Spore torrents floating around so it doesn't look like that did any good either.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54638

I counter. Still DRM'd but they dev says it will be more lenient than Spores.

"The game disc will not be required to launch the game, and up to five installations will be allowed. After five installations, up from three for the EA published Spore and PC version of Mass Effect, users will be required to contact EA customer service"

That's exactly same way as ME but with 5 installs. Which still is bullshit.

Wasn't Mass Effect cracked pretty quick from the get go? And I've seen numerous Spore torrents floating around so it doesn't look like that did any good either.

I don't know about ME, but I can confirm Spore torrents are floating around and working perfectly fine. The only thing you can't use is the Sporepedia things and interacting with other people's creations.

But yeah...
-1 RA3 sale here

How does the spore/ME DRM affect digital downloads? Does it still only allow a certain amount of installs? Or are they fine?

Lost a sale here too... I shuffle hardware around too much to deal with this sort of limit. Steam style is fine - this sort of thing is a non-starter.

This whole DRM thing would be a non-issue if they just used Steam. I don't have any problem with having unlimited access to my games via digital download. I can install them as many times as I like, I just have to log in.

The problem with them using Steam is that they have their own digital distribution network. EA would be the wiser if they decided to choose Steam as another outlet...

I really don't get this DRM thing. If the goal is preventing piracy, why is it used at all? All of these games get cracked and have torrents up pretty quick, so all it does is punish paying customers. (like me) It is a huge turnoff to playing pc games.

Somewhat more entertaining is the current rating of spore on amazon. Yay 1 star.

Wow... 1K+ 1 score ratings. Seems the DRM has pissed of more people than anything and the gameplay is being griped about as well.

Seems that DRM only keeps the people that want to adhere to flawless utopian law or can't figure out that even if the validation servers are gone, you gain cracks for almost every DRM'ed game & play your legally owned copy anyways. Not much different than someone owning a radar/laser detector or blocker.

I'm against this five install bullshit. I re-install my OS often enough (usually do to upgrades) that five installs won't likely last me the whole year.

How does the spore/ME DRM affect digital downloads? Does it still only allow a certain amount of installs? Or are they fine?

I downloaded ME from Gamestop (I usually use Steam or Direct2drive but couldn't use those), and I think you have a limited number of installs... but not only that, since you don't have the CD, you need to be connected to the internet to start the game! Not usually a big deal, but the funny thing is that it's a single player game only.... what if your internet goes out and you want to sit down and play ME because there is nothing else to do? Too bad, you're screwed.

It happened to me, we moved in to a new place, no internet for a while, and I couldn't play ME. :mad:

Its September and I'm on my 4th installation of Windows this year...
No RA3 for me. Or Spore. Unfortuanately bought ME before I knew about the DRM. Now I'm reluctant to install it again...
Really sad. I hope Stardocks games (Sins of a Solar Empire, GalCiv, etc) do really really well, maybe it'll get their no-drm policy noticed.

Was kinda looking forward to this one too....

Any other highly anticipiated titles that will be including DRM that I should know about?

I've played all the previous C&C games. Although the last one was underwhelming, I still enjoyed it based solely on the memory of previous games.

I will not be purchasing this one for PC simply because of the DRM. I find myself playing more and more console games.... I wonder if the PS3 version will have keyboard and mouse support. I would play it on there for sure. Otherwise, it's a complete skip.

I really enjoyed Command & Conquer 3. I don't know why anyone wouldn't. It's not revolutionary but it looks good and mechanically its' very similar to the other games. I've enjoyed the crap out of it.

I'm not a big RTS fan either.

I really enjoyed Command & Conquer 3. I don't know why anyone wouldn't. It's not revolutionary but it looks good and mechanically its' very similar to the other games. I've enjoyed the crap out of it.

I'm not a big RTS fan either.

Because it was released after Company of Heroes which set a ridiculously high standard for RTS games.

Initially, C&C3 multiplayer was basically 'who's better at spamming tanks'.

I'm in the RA3 beta though and it's better than C&C3 in terms of balance and strategy (even though everyone engineer rushes since it's too effective), but this whole EA DRM thing put me off from buying it completely.

Part of the RA3 beta as well.

Frankly. don't give a damn about the DRM. The game is good and I only reinstall my OS every year or so. So I'm going to buy it.

Won't be buying.

Not only did EA make RA2 for no reason, since RA1 was originally supposed to have been C&C-zero, but the game was bad. Oh, and DRM.

I'm on the fence on this one..........i'm calling EA and asking a few questions before i buy.........gonna be really hard not to buy RA3 because i'm a big C&C fan. I wont put up with this if i have to "buy" or get any additional help after my 5 installs.

5 installs is borderline acceptable. I don't re-install my PC that much, once a year if that. The DRM won't affect my decision much if at all, I'll probably still pick it up.

It just sucks that they limit legit installs while the cracked version runs wild, but then DRM has always been funny that way.

I really don't get this DRM thing. If the goal is preventing piracy, why is it used at all? All of these games get cracked and have torrents up pretty quick, so all it does is punish paying customers. (like me) It is a huge turnoff to playing pc games.

Somewhat more entertaining is the current rating of spore on amazon. Yay 1 star.

DRM is not about preventing piracy. It never was. It's all about control.

For example: want to install a game on your home desktop and your laptop so you can game on-the-go? Too bad. The publisher/developer wants you to buy two licenses.

Then use an online hardware key tied to an account. If anyone uses Alch 120% their DRM scheme should be the model for ALL software...

I cancled my preorder for RA3, and I took Spore back to the store after I learned about the DRM scheme.

I only bought bioshock once they released the revoke tool.

It was but it wouldn't work once you tried to get into the Galaxy map. That was fixed within a week or so.

DRM is pointless for pirates, but the mass buying public that doesn't know about downloading games from torrents or just feels guilty about it are stuck with it.

Steam FTW.

My normal routine on a format is to install the OS and then install Steam and download all my games. Makes things soooo much easier.

It was but it wouldn't work once you tried to get into the Galaxy map. That was fixed within a week or so.

DRM is pointless for pirates, but the mass buying public that doesn't know about downloading games from torrents or just feels guilty about it are stuck with it.

Quoted for truth. I simply avoid buying/playing any game with restrictive DRM... it's a waste of my time and theirs for spending millions to implement it and hundreds of man-hours for something a random geek is going to crack within a few days. I don't like that they won't want me to install on my laptop and my desktop at the same time, either. Finally I simply refuse to support draconian measures such as these that punish real buyers and do nothing to pirates.

EDIT: I actually bought a copy of Mass Effect, is it true that it has a restrictive DRM scheme like this? I might just sell it off without even playing then. It was in my to-play pile but there's plenty of other fun games out there that I wouldn't feel bad supporting the developers of.

EDIT: I actually bought a copy of Mass Effect, is it true that it has a restrictive DRM scheme like this? I might just sell it off without even playing then. It was in my to-play pile but there's plenty of other fun games out there that I wouldn't feel bad supporting the developers of.
Mass Effect is worth it if you like a good space RPG. IMO, it's not one of those games that you'll go back and play over again if you complete all of the assignments the first time through it.

Why do they do this. The cracks are usually released the day of release. It doesn't stop piracy at all. They are making it easier to pirate than to buy... :rolleyes:

-1 more sale... well thats a lie, i dont like it anyways, havent played C&C since generals.
When they make it worth while for someone to download the game vs buying it legally, then they might as well say bye bye to a few sales.

choice A) Buy the game, wait for it to arrive, then have to call tech support to LEGALLY play it because of some DRM scheme you overstepped

choice B) download the game, and just play it cracked. (which you can pretty much do a day after it goes gold or its released.)

I love C&C so this won't stop me from buying it (the premier edition), but it's interesting that the only people who are hurts by this stupid DRM are the people that buy the game. People who get cracked versions (and there are plenty of them out there) experience none of this. GO EA!!!

I'm still going to buy it because I love the RA series and I know this game is going to be awesome, but this really irritates me.

Back