Recycle bin settings on Windows 7 w/document redirection

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by nowwhatnapster, Dec 26, 2009.

1. nowwhatnapster

nowwhatnapster Limp Gawd

I have a Laptop here with Windows 7 home premium on it.

I have redirected the documents/photos/videos/etc folders to a network drive. When i check the settings of the recycling bin, each folder shows up as a "drive" where i can adjust how much space is allotted for deleted files. Currently each folder is alotted 50GB...

I am a little confused by all this. I obviously dont want 50GB allotted. But I also dont want each folder to have its own space for deleted items. Isn't there some way to consolidate this?

Ideally I want just the C: drive of the computer to act as the storage location for deleted files. or if that is not possible i want just 1 consolidated storage location for deleted files on the network drive.

2. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Normally, each partition will have a % of it available to be in the 'Recycle Bin'. Just FYI, the items are not actually deleted or moved, they are simply marked as 'deleted' on their resident drive, then a record kept in the Recycle Bin. So there is such way to 'consolidate' the deleted/recycled files since they are not actually being moved to begin with. Because your pointing to network drives, the system is just likely assigning each folder a virtual drive letter so that it can keep track of the deleted items for it's own sake.

3. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

I am not sure there is a way to change the location of all your drives recycle bins to one single location in Win7. You can custom set each one to a certain size by right clicking on the recycle bin, clicking properties, and setting each "drive" to what ever size you want including disabling the recycle bin.

4. SicKlown42012

SicKlown42012 2[H]4U

As the others have said, you can't point the recycle bin to a specific path or drive since the files aren't moved at all. When you send a file to the recycle bin, Windows just marks the file as deleted, but the data itself isn't changed. Even when you empty the recycle bin, the data is still there, but Windows just removes all references to it, making it invisible to you, unless you use a program to recover it.