Recovery CD's

Hello all,

I do PC repair on the side and I have run into a strange situation. I have a customer with a TOSHIBA Satellite laptop who's hard drive is toast. Because of this, I cannot access the recovery image to create a set of DVD's and restore his computer. My question is, how does one go about solving this issue? Do I have to set up a relationship with the hardware vendor to obtain these discs or is there some other method I am unsure of.

I would assume that because the system has a COA on the bottom that I could install my own Windows because technically it was already licensed to be on the machine. Knowing M$ though there is probably some forbidden rule against that.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

_Dan

Either call toshiba and buy a set of recovery dvds or install windows using the cd key on the laptop and download the toshiba update utility program and let it download all the driver updates and other programs.

Hello all,

I do PC repair on the side and I have run into a strange situation. I have a customer with a TOSHIBA Satellite laptop who's hard drive is toast. Because of this, I cannot access the recovery image to create a set of DVD's and restore his computer. My question is, how does one go about solving this issue? Do I have to set up a relationship with the hardware vendor to obtain these discs or is there some other method I am unsure of.

I would assume that because the system has a COA on the bottom that I could install my own Windows because technically it was already licensed to be on the machine. Knowing M$ though there is probably some forbidden rule against that.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

_Dan

Vista/7 or XP?

* You can use a retail Windows XP installer and then afterward the product key update tool:

* For Vista/7 use a retail disk and don't type the PK, instead complete the installation first. Once installation is complete go to the system properties window and use the "change product key" option near the PID. You'll get and error message when you activate online, but you get an option about other ways to activate, choose the phone activation option.

Either call toshiba and buy a set of recovery dvds or install windows using the cd key on the laptop and download the toshiba update utility program and let it download all the driver updates and other programs.

That or ebay tiem.

Back