Recovering data from a hard drive after a full format

jadams

2[H]4U
Had one of our customers do something extremely stupid and formatted a drive which contains alot of important data.

I know if the drive was "quick" formatted then its easy to recover. But I believe she did a full format.

Can data be recovered? Which program would I use?

If she used Windows XP or older just use any decent recovery software. If she used Vista or 7 she's screwed.

Pretty sure she did it during windows setup. She formatted the wrong partition. Server 2003. Think the data is still there?

As long as nothing new has been written to he disk there's a chance the info is still there.

I use Easy Recovery, but Get data back is also recommended for cases like this.

Pretty sure she did it during windows setup. She formatted the wrong partition. Server 2003. Think the data is still there?

Should be there as long as nothing much got written to the drive after the format. Full format on Windows XP/2003 and older is pretty much the same as a quick format with a scan for bad sectors.

The more I use O&O's products the more I swear they are the best damn thing since Jesus walked the earth.

Seriously.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodiskrecovery/professional

Try it, after you demo it, you'll buy it. I did with the imaging software twice (once for me and another for a customer). The interface is consistent across their products, which helps quick and easy pickup (not that you're a non technical person).

They make great products at great prices IMO.

Coupon Code: UPSOFT2011 will save you 20% off their website prices when you buy (google search ftw)

I am a fan of GetDataBack. Assuming the drive was formatted an no data written to it, just about any data recovery software should function.

Do you have a pillow.
Place it over her face and apply firm even pressure.
Check for a pulse and if found increase pressure until it goes away.

OK OK it was a joke

I tried paragon data recover and another one not free I think it was called spotmau something that is supposed to do it.
Lots of corrupt files and of course weird names but they got back a lot of the stuff.

I have heard a lot of good things about get data back and O & O have been around for a long time and people swear by it.

stiltner you said O & O image. How fast is it?
I tried Acronis, 2 free ones and Paragon
Acronis does it in about 1/4 the time of the others.

I had occasion to use Recuva just yesterday, managed to get a database recovered with it.

seemed to work just fine.

Back