Recovering boot partition after disk image?

Liger88

2[H]4U
So in October 2012 my RAID0 array crashed, thankfully I made an image of it days prior to it collapsing. Since then I managed to reinstall the image back onto a single drive fully breaking my array and separating the disks and just restoring onto a single disk out of 3. However, my boot partition seems to have got lost in doing so and after months of scratching my head and trying to Windows Recovery options I've googled, I think it's because I no longer have a 100MB boot partition.

Because of this a second disk that I originally loaded a operating system on to restore my backup to needs to be a primary boot drive so that it can see this partition because it's included in its MBR and boot partition.

Question is. If I create a 100MB partition will this solve my problems and allow me to boot back off just the drive I restored that is missing that partition? As of now it's kinda dual booting with the bare bones drive of Windows installed needing to be primary so it can recognize the second disk that doesn't have a boot partition. Also the steps to do this would be greatly appreciated as google is bringing up various different tutorials with none seeming to be caught in this situation. I tried using Disk Manager to create a partition to do this but it sees that partition as separate from C: drive.

Arghhh any help would be much appreciated. Getting annoyed having to keep 2 disks active just to boot off the disk that has my restored backup that I've been using for months now.

Maybe it is time to copy that data over to another drive\ thumb drive and reinstall Win 7 from scratch.

http://www.boyans.net/DualBootRepair.html

You might wish to try the bottom part.

dude. Dude. DUDE! I LOVE YOU!

I

LOVE

YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG after all this time and my computer knowledge this little proggie did the job perfect. This is going in the archives. I thought I'd never be able to get this drive to boot by itself after re-imaging a saved backup. Note to self: MAKE SURE 100MB boot partition is created when restoring backups lol.

Maybe it is time to copy that data over to another drive\ thumb drive and reinstall Win 7 from scratch.

Indeed. That's why Drive A was in the half-process of having some things restored while Drive B was the backup without any possible way to boot without Drive A because it had the boot partition. All is good for now as far as I can tell.

Thank you guys! :D

Back