Recover "My Documents" From a different XP install

maxpower1119

Limp Gawd
My primary hard drive was screwing up a while back so i reinstalled windows XP Pro to a new hard drive but i still have the old hard drive in my pc. If i try to browse to the documents and settings of the old drive and go to the folder for my username it says access is denied. Is there any way to recover the My Documents?

Yes you can, though its not real easy. I've done it before but its been awhile and don't remember the exact process.

I do think it invovled going in to the directory properties, then security tab, then advanced and trying some thinsg with ownership.

With an account that has admin rights, right click on the folder you're trying to access, and go to Sharing and Security. Then go to the security tab > advanced button > Owner tab. That will let you select who owns the folder now. *D'oh, beaten to the punch*

i dont have a security tab when i go to sharing and security. my mistake, it does let me enter the folder for my username but the my documents, my pictures and all the other good stuff do not even show up.

Back