Recording Industry Steps Back From Piracy Disconnections

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine that, the recording industry seems to be one of the only organizations on the planet that actually listens to the UN. Whodathinkit?

In the wake of the UN report which described disconnecting citizens from the Internet as a breach of human rights, an anti-piracy group has made a somewhat surprising statement. Music Industry Piracy Investigations, which acts for dozens of labels including the Big Four, today said that while they support measures for dealing with infringement, that does not include “termination of Internet accounts.”

if they terminate accounts how are they going to extort money out of people?

If they terminate internet accounts these people are highly unlikely to buy mp3s or mp4s in the future - Don't want to lose a potential customer, even if they are going to sue them first. It really is all about the money, never let yourself think otherwise.

Well that and the bleeding heart artists could never abide being the cause of UN human rights violations. But trust me when I say it's all about the money.

It must be a very cold day 'down under' ... and I'm not talking about Australia :D

Seriously, Kudos for pulling back from an unjust & unworkable approach ... now lets see if this get's applied to the rest of the world, even France!

if they terminate accounts how are they going to extort money out of people?

Apple just announced match service. For $25 a year iTunes will match the mp3s you have pirated and add their 256kbit AAC files to your iTunes library. No limit on how many, if the song isn't in the iTunes catalog then you can upload it yourself.

Reactionary of course. They never would have held this view if it were not first stomped all over by a regulating body that actually carries some weight.

Your rights be damned, they'll have their justice! :eek:

Apple just announced match service. For $25 a year iTunes will match the mp3s you have pirated and add their 256kbit AAC files to your iTunes library. No limit on how many, if the song isn't in the iTunes catalog then you can upload it yourself.

That's misleading.

Match service gives you remote access to your library...."to a central copy of any song it can identify, without actually uploading that song. ITunes Match is designed to serve as an easy way for consumers to create and listen online to their entire music collections, without the time-consuming work of manually transferring or uploading songs."

It only gives you remote access to all the songs in your library - regardless of how you got them. It doesn't give you any legal ok to continue possession of infringed media, and they don't give you legal tunes as replacements for the infringed ones. If they don't have a central copy of a tune, you can upload it.....but if it's infringed - it's still infringed.

Also: The 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality "replacements" don't go into your personal library......those are just the ones in the central cloud library. If you have a song (legal or not) ripped at 192-Kbps, the cloud one is at 256 - if they have it.

That's misleading.

Match service gives you remote access to your library...."to a central copy of any song it can identify, without actually uploading that song. ITunes Match is designed to serve as an easy way for consumers to create and listen online to their entire music collections, without the time-consuming work of manually transferring or uploading songs."

It only gives you remote access to all the songs in your library - regardless of how you got them. It doesn't give you any legal ok to continue possession of infringed media, and they don't give you legal tunes as replacements for the infringed ones. If they don't have a central copy of a tune, you can upload it.....but if it's infringed - it's still infringed.

Ah, good point on not going to the library.

Dammit...can't we at least get a one-time edit??

I was just thinking........if you original is 192, and they cloud a 256 version - then you sync it to you ipod - and copy that one back to your original library, I guess you could get "upgrades". It still wouldn't give you any legal recourse if it was infringed though....I'm sure Apple would just say they had no purchase record on file.

Hmm....another thought. It might make it easier for the RIAA to find songs not legally DL'd. Not sure. Don't know how they'd be able to tell outside of what wasn't bought from Apple though....the stuff could have come from anywhere.

I'm curious what the RIAA will say about that, I know they are getting a massive cash influx.

Watching MTV and taking a wonderful tour thru some of the music artists lovely 3 storey mansion, with a garage that's got about 10 luxury vehicles in it and about 10 sport models parked outside it each equipped with a ps3 or xbox and their pets getting spoiled rotten with steaks and all kinds of shit I concluded that they don't need my money as I can clearly see they have enough. So I uninstalled Itunes and installed bitthief.
Cheers

I'm curious what the RIAA will say about that, I know they are getting a massive cash influx.
They aren't going to say squat because Apple is paying them hundreds of millions of dollars. Without the service they were becoming increasingly obsolete and quickly approaching zilch dollars.

If they terminate internet accounts these people are highly unlikely to buy mp3s or mp4s in the future - Don't want to lose a potential customer, even if they are going to sue them first. It really is all about the money, never let yourself think otherwise.

Well that and the bleeding heart artists could never abide being the cause of UN human rights violations. But trust me when I say it's all about the money.

As a frequent purchaser of Amazon MP3's I agree.

hmm if it lets me get songs from out side the US market then it might be worth it...

Buying mp3s is like buying fake DVDs from the Nigerian at the robots on your way home. Its not the original

Back