Recording gameplay advice needed

danike

n00b
I've been playing Dota, Heroes of Newerth, and Dota2 from 1999 to present. The competition and trash talking has become equally as fun with our group of real life friends and clan members abroad. I need a way to start recording the "highlights" of our games. I know there are several products such as FRAPS, Movavi, and Xfire but my question is, has anyone used Windows 10 built-in recording program called GameBar? Also, anyone suggest using the Geforce Shadowplay?

ShadowPlay is nice, but its options are limited and you can't do much. You might have better luck with OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).

I use OBS for all my recordings, and some broadcasting.

Open Broadcaster Software - Index

You can configure it to use ShadowPlay (Nvidia) or AMD VCE to record videos without a performance penalty. There are tons of guides on their forums or of course you can ask here. You can broadcast to Youtube, Twitch, etc, as an option also.

I use Fraps and it works fine for what I needed it to do.

Doesn't FRAPS use the CPU to record still? OBS can use your GPU which is much more efficient and incurs a zero performance penalty. Also FRAPS costs money and OBS is free. OBS is open source so that the community can write code for it as they see fit.

I don't really play anything that demands alot of CPU or GPU power so I think thats why its working fine. I will try out OBS since its free. I've had Fraps for so long and never really had any problem with it so there wasn't any reason for me to look for a different software.

Read the guides on their forums for some really cool community plugins and tips on how to set it up.

the nVidia Experience software that comes with the drivers has built in recording capabilities

Plays.tv IMO is the best for what you want to do. Its free.

Not only does it record your game with almost no performance loss at 1080p, 60FPS 50mbit, it also has highlight and replay functionality. Example, make super epic play, press hotkey to spit out last 30 seconds to its own file. Or you can press a hotkey to mark highlights, then use the built in editor to create a highlight reel.

It also allows you to upload straight to plays.tv and/or youtube right from the application itself and send the link or tag your buddies in the video.

The videos are stored to your hard drive in .mp4 format, and at 50mbit if you open them in a program like Adobe Premier, the frames literally look like screenshots. The program itself manages the hard drive space as well, automatically deleting older videos if it needs space to record new ones.

OBS is a PITA to configure, doesnt work half the time, etc, etc. Typical of open source garbage.

I use Shadowplay. I like how you can set a hotkey for stop/start recording or to save the last X minutes of gameplay. That last part is great for, "holy crap did you see that" moments.

Back