Record-Speed 57Gbps Data Transmission Could Make Big Data More Accessible

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from the University of Illinois have set a record for fiber data transmission. The new record stands at 57Gbps of error-free data at room temperature. Even more impressive is the fact that they were also able to send 50Gbps of error-free data at 185ºF. :eek:

Feng’s group has been pushing VCSEL technology to higher speeds in recent years, and in 2014 was the first group in the U.S. to achieve error-free data transmission at 40 gigabits per second (denoted as Gbps). Now, in a series of conference papers, they report 57 Gbps error-free data transmission at room temperature, as well as 50 Gbps speeds at higher temperatures up to 85 degrees Celsius (185 degrees Fahrenheit).

out government demolished a full fiber to the home nation wide rollout (that was already well under way by 3 years) to install..... copper.

Well done AUS, well done!

/me cries

There must be some kind of distance stipulation in this article I haven't read, because 40gbs in the data center is common place. So yea, I'm going to assume this is over multiple km's.

There must be some kind of distance stipulation in this article I haven't read, because 40gbs in the data center is common place. So yea, I'm going to assume this is over multiple km's.

I assume it's because of some new optical tech mentioned in the article:

The VCSEL has several advantages over edge-emitting diodes. The VCSEL is cheaper to manufacture in quantity, is easier to test, and is more efficient. In addition, the VCSEL requires less electrical current to produce a given coherent energy output. The VCSEL emits a narrow, more nearly circular beam than traditional edge emitters; this makes it easier to get the energy from the device into an optical fiber. The main challenge facing engineers today is the development of a high-power VCSEL device with an emission wavelength of 1550 nm.

This article is an early April fools joke right?

The reason data centers are kept cool with AC is because fiber transmits faster when cold? Um... how about because servers put off a lot of heat and without AC running 24x7 your datacenter opens the gates of hell and teleports all your servers away. That is the reason datacenters use AC, not because it helps with data transmission.

You can run 40 or 100Gbps over fiber right now for short runs of around 100 - 150 meters (depending on fiber size).

Unless like somebody said above this is over some great distance which the article doesn't say. Just that this group was the first to get 40Gbps over fiber 2 years ago and now broke 57Gbps. Which to me reads like a joke article.

I had dual T1's at my office for the longest time. Then we "upgraded" to 10Mb fiber. What a waste of fiber :).

Why are you bitching? you have fiber. So that means you have a really fast 10Mbps. Everyone knows that fiber internet is faster than anything else out there no matter what speed you have. Just ask everyone else here.

This article is an early April fools joke right?

The reason data centers are kept cool with AC is because fiber transmits faster when cold? Um... how about because servers put off a lot of heat and without AC running 24x7 your datacenter opens the gates of hell and teleports all your servers away. That is the reason datacenters use AC, not because it helps with data transmission.

You can run 40 or 100Gbps over fiber right now for short runs of around 100 - 150 meters (depending on fiber size).

Unless like somebody said above this is over some great distance which the article doesn't say. Just that this group was the first to get 40Gbps over fiber 2 years ago and now broke 57Gbps. Which to me reads like a joke article.

Why are you bitching? you have fiber. So that means you have a really fast 10Mbps. Everyone knows that fiber internet is faster than anything else out there no matter what speed you have. Just ask everyone else here.

200gbps cfp optics are actually commodity at this point, and some models can transmit 80km.

The issue where I work isn't the network connection. It's the data servers themselves that can't keep up with the demand. You would think that with all the data everyone in healthcare craves that they would want to serve it as quickly as possible.

Yes, the length is over 1km, it is in the published paper, you can infer it from their past published papers of 22 Gbps over 1km in 2013.

I'd settle for cheap 10gb cards/switches.
There's still a huge price premium to move from 1gb to 10gb.

LOL.

looks at 120mi 2x100gb circuit.

LOLOL.

(and we are small potatoes.)

also, FWIW, stuff working well up to 80 or 90F or above is a big deal.

it would be nice if they had more relevant details.(ironically I cant load the paper :p) maybe I will walk over and ask them whats up :D

40GBASE-SR4 is spec'd to work out to 125M on OM4 (thats also 840nm stuff) so working at higher speeds over 1km is kind of a big deal. SM(1310nm) stuff is more expensive, as is the OS2 fiber plant it runs over.

Last edited:
50 Mb from TWC is never really 50 Mb unless you are checking speed from the server next to your house..lol....try speedguide.net with a server from further away..see what your real bandwidth is.

LOL.

looks at 120mi 2x100gb circuit.

LOLOL.

(and we are small potatoes.)

also, FWIW, stuff working well up to 80 or 90F or above is a big deal.

it would be nice if they had more relevant details.(ironically I cant load the paper :p) maybe I will walk over and ask them whats up :D

40GBASE-SR4 is spec'd to work out to 125M on OM4 (thats also 840nm stuff) so working at higher speeds over 1km is kind of a big deal. SM(1310nm) stuff is more expensive, as is the OS2 fiber plant it runs over.

Sorry I was looking up distances and did just see the stuff about OM4 and OM3 talking about distance.

Personally don't get to play with anything over 10Gbps so haven't been looking at anything faster.

Back