Recommended Video Card ~$200

Sayth

Gawd
Hey all,

My Asus 9800GT Ultimate is finally kicking the bucket. Can't even handle League of Legends with medium settings for more than 1 hour. Locks up and needs a reboot after it cools down.

So I'm looking for something capable of powering
- 3x 22" monitors @ at least 1600x1080.
- Gaming across all 3 would be nice but not necessary.
- Medium or med-high settings for games like Skyrim, MassEffect 2, Fallout 3, Bioshock Infinite
- HD Video editing
- Used to be partial to nVidia, but AMD is fine too
- CanadaComputers.com would be best as I want to pick it up this weekend ASAP and there's one up the road.

My current thought: Saphire HD 7870 for $219...

I can supply power as required. I can't remember the PSU I have right now, but I can upgrade that myself if needed. Rest is in my sig. My motherboard is an Asus P755D LE

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have used all 3 gens of AMD for Eyefinity and i say the HD7950 is worth the extar money over the HD7870 because of the ram size. if you do go Eyefinity you will need to buy a mini-dp by DVI and the card you showed does not have 2 DVI connectors .. so you would need a hdmi by DVI also and run Eyefinity as

DVI to DVI
HDMI to DVI
mini-dp to DVI

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely look at the 7950... Might try re-seating my heatsync with some new thermal paste if I can safely take it apart. Give me time to save up some more cash.

I'm just a little worried that this card will be tough since its factory over clocked and fully enclosed... We'll see! :D

7870 is a great card for the price, or for a little more you can't beat the 7950 bang/buck imo

7870 is like a GTX 580 Nvidia wise, so definite step up over a 9800GT.

7950 on the other hand CAN be on par with a GTX 680 with some overclocking. Also the 3GB of RAM is real nice with triple screens. The ability to Crossfire down the road means you'll be technically future proof.

So for $200, sure, the 7870 is a nice card no doubt. But that extra money can get you something not only faster but can handle higher resolutions much better.

I would agree with everyone else, grab a 7950 for that amount. The extra VRAM will help with your 3 screens.

My wife says you guys are a bad influence... Pushing me from a $200 card to $300 with very valid points... I agree though. With her and you all lol

Just found out we may be buying a new (bigger) house though so we'll see where this goes on the priority list!

Thanks again!

try perusing through the for sale section here at hard.
you can get a 680 gtx for 300
670 for less
770 for 360 etc... :)

My wife says you guys are a bad influence... Pushing me from a $200 card to $300 with very valid points... I agree though. With her and you all lol

Just found out we may be buying a new (bigger) house though so we'll see where this goes on the priority list!

Thanks again!

We're all bad influences are here. :D

Good luck with the new house.

Back