Recommended Vid Card with Dell 30" 3007WFP

Guys,

I would like an honest recommendation for a video card that will go with my new Dell 30" 3007WFP killer display.

You see my specs below, I know I have to replace my mobo if I want to go with PCIexpress, question is which one and I need to find one that will work with the rest of my stuff.

Any thoughts,

DC

8800GTX, at native res, you are going to need all that power....it's really the only option IMO.

What exactly are you looking to do with this card?

If you are looking to game, you need a minimum of a 7900GTX. Most likely you will need an ATI X1950 or an Nvidia 8800GTS. This big monitors require a lot of horsepower.

If all you will be doing is multimedia stuff like video editing and DVD watching you can get away with a Nvidia 7600GT or an ATI x1600.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Appreciate the feedback. What mobo should I get, the eVGA 680i? My current ABiT does not have PCI express. I also have a P4 processor.

Any recommendations?

Digitalcaveman said:
Appreciate the feedback. What mobo should I get, the eVGA 680i? My current ABiT does not have PCI express. I also have a P4 processor.

Any recommendations?

First off nice monitor :cool: I have the similiar Apple 30" Display, and after having a ATI X1800XT, it could just barley run games at 2560x1600, WoW at those settings was choppy, and BetaField2142 no way. so I upgraded this week to a 8800GTX, and now I can play all game's at 2560x1600 4xAA/16xAF, SLI is need if ya want 8xAA or higher at this resolution.

Now your system sounds like my second rig, a P4 3.0ghz with X850XT AGP video card. Sorry to break this to ya, but your in need of a MAJOR upgrade to run that 30" to play games high settings, first off yeah PCIeXpress motherboard, and at least a 8800GTS for sure to run that baby smooth, maybe a X1950XT could barely get by.

What is your budget should be the first question ? If it is tight, then go for a Socket939 AMD based system, still a fast setup but cheap, ya can get a nice motherboard, and dual-cpu for like $400-$500, and your memory is still good from your P4, just make sure ya have 2gig's worth, today's games need them. And then the video card for that monitor I say just go for the 8800series and be done with it, or at least a X1950XT.

Now if ya have money burning a hole in your pocket then go to Intel, CoreDuo, and get the Extreme-QuadCore, some nice DDR2 memory, the 680i motherboard, and 8800GTX.

No matter what ya do get yourself a nice PSU, namely a PC Power and Cooling or Silverstone brand to run everything with enough stable power :)

High end gpu. Bigger screen, spread out pixels = need for a higher resolution = gotta have power ;)

the answers you are mostly going to get here will be geared to your perceived price range to us. that is because with the 3007's high resolution, you need high end hardware to get decent framerate at native. you know that, of course.

if you have the money you should go for broke; it would be a shame to have a slow machine behind that monitor. a the minimum you will want a video card with dual-link dvi: most mid range and all high end video cards have that. from there you should be fine in windows and watching movies. if you are going to be playing games, however, i would recommend at least an x1950, 7900, 7950, or 8800 series to keep up frames.

also, consider that only the 8800 is future-proof atm as dx9 is reaching the end of its lifecycle. vista has shown significant performance increases in high-res games over xp. the r600 will be out in a month and will in the least make the 8800 prices more competitive if not offering better performance. these are all things to consider: if you can wait a month you should, if not the 8800 is necessary for decent gameplay.

Zorachus said:
No matter what ya do get yourself a nice PSU, namely a PC Power and Cooling or Silverstone brand to run everything with enough stable power :)
second that, a high-quality 500W psu for at least $100 i reckon

Thanks yeah, this is turning out to be a combination Christmas present. Well, I'll probably go out and get an 8800 GTX 768Mb card. Now what mobo would work best. Any of you hear of this ASUS model: Asus P5LD2-VM R2 MB?

DC

Digitalcaveman said:
Thanks yeah, this is turning out to be a combination Christmas present. Well, I'll probably go out and get an 8800 GTX 768Mb card. Now what mobo would work best. Any of you hear of this ASUS model: Asus P5LD2-VM R2 MB?

DC

Good decision on the 8800GTX :cool: Will make that 30" play games the way they were meant :)

If your going Intel, no question get the 680i motherboard, if your going AMD then an nForce4Ultra

For a monitor that big you should consider getting two 8800gtx's. One isn't gonna cut it if you want have a smooth experience.

SLi 8800GTX's on my 30" work just fine. Liquid framerates at max res on any game.

Digitalcaveman said:
For the 680i what would the best processor be?

The Intel C2D lineup would be the best choice.

Top of the line look for the QX6700 Quad Core processor. It's more than a little overkill for the average user and not all games can take advantage of it, but if you do multitasking and any sort of video work its phenomenal. Its about 1100 from newegg.

Bang for your buck, the e6600 Conroe its great and I'd probably go with this chip if I were you. Its about 300 bucks pretty much everywhere.

Good luck.

I agree, if ya have cash to blow then a Quad core is hand's down the fastest and coolest setup ya cab get plus a 680i Motherboard :)

Now if ya on a budget and still want a bad ass system on the cheap, go to a Socket939 AMD system, ya can keep your memory, and the FX-60 is like $400, and good motherboard for those are like $100 now. yeah wont be as bad ass as the QuadCore Intel, but for the price difference the speed will NOT be too much different at 2560x1600 resolution, at that high it is mainly GPU power instead of CPU power

Back