Recommended Partition sizes for 1TB Ubuntu Server + 4GB of ram?

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was wondering what you guys would recommend and where to place them on a new file server we're building for one our offsite locations, the system will be ran in RAID 1 mirrored with dual 1TB drives and currently has 4GB of ram which should be plenty for what it will be doing, mainly acting as a central fileserver and home drive server for about 6 users.

I'm still pretty noobish as far as messing with linux and tinkering with it a few years ago, but I recall needing 3 partitions, a boot, swap, and root right? What size should I set these up as, I'm thinking 12GB for swap, 987.5 for root ext4, and the remainder 500mb or so for boot ext4. and i should put the swap at the end of the platter right? Is 500mb boot too big or small? is my swap too big? What do you guys think, appreciate your input, thanks.

oops, could a mod move this thread up into linux forum, didnt see it before i posted

If this is a production server, then here's how I'd partition it;

12g /var/log
10g /
4g swap
2g /tmp
500g /home
5g /boot

I'd utilize LVM for these partitions so they could be more effectively managed; add space, remove space, ect...which is why I'd only be using half the space to begin with. Likely this will be enough too, but in case it isn't, you could expand /var/log or /home as the need arose.

( realistically, we wouldn't need 5g for boot, but I always over estimate )

Back