recommended order of drivers for system with AMD 3900X and ROG Strix-E replacing Intel 3930 and ASUS P9 board

x509

2[H]4U
If I want to replace my old Intel board with this new AMD CPU/motherboard, what is the best order to install the new drivers, once Windows has booted upwith the new CPU/board?

Last edited:
If I want to replace my old Intel board with this new AMD CPU/motherboard, what is the best order to install the new drivers, once Windows has booted upwith the new CPU/board?
You can try, but I can guarantee you that even with the improvements of Windows 10 it will have issues when doing stuff like this. You’ll be better off just reinstalling Windows.

You can try, but I can guarantee you that even with the improvements of Windows 10 it will have issues when doing stuff like this. You’ll be better off just reinstalling Windows.
Possibly, but I did my Intel to AMD change over 2 months ago, and not a single driver issue, not even a BSOD. I did have a RAM issue that caused sudden reboots, but an RMA fixed that problem. :)

yeah my current build went from amd to intel and back without issue. do the swap, remove the intel stuff and install amd chipset drivers. you can install the audio/nic if you want but windows should pick them up fine. done deal.

I had zero issues upgrading my 6600k to a b550 3700x... I didn't even remove drivers or pre install anything. Shut down, swapped MB/CPU and booted back up, then installed latest chipset drivers.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I had zero issues upgrading my 6600k to a b550 3700x... I didn't even remove drivers or pre install anything. Shut down, swapped MB/CPU and booted back up, then installed latest chipset drivers.
Neither did I initially, but I noticed weird issues after that I could only resolve with a fresh install of windows.

Had no problems doing several Intel<->AMD swaps on Windows 7.

I guess I’m super old school. There’s no way I’d do this without a fresh install of windows. There was a time when we got used to formatting and reinstalling for a whole host of issues.

Granted I have to do it much less often now. But for a major hardware swap? I’d do a fresh install.

I guess I’m super old school. There’s no way I’d do this without a fresh install of windows. There was a time when we got used to formatting and reinstalling for a whole host of issues.

Granted I have to do it much less often now. But for a major hardware swap? I’d do a fresh install.
I probably will eventually just to make sure there isn't crap laying around, but I'll probably wait till I get a new HDD.

People still using HDDs for their OS??
No, I was using it as a vendor term, sorry. I do use one in that PC though for a steam/data drive though. It's my son's PC, my thinking was to replace his 1TB SATA SSD with a 1-2TB nvme and replace his 1TB HDD data drive with something like a 3-4TB. Then I can steal his 1TB SATA and use that for my data drive with my 512GB nvme in my box. So, lots of hard drive moves, hence just using HDD to be generic for replacing hard drives.

I did an i7 4770 to 3900X swap late last year. My friend uses his PC for work and works a lot so we had to minimize downtime.
He has so many graphic apps and music tools that he uses that it would take half a day or so to do fresh install and configure everything.
He was still running Windows 7 so I went over there and updated his machine to Windows 10 and then cloned his OS to a new SSD to take home with me.
I ordered his 3900X, 32GB of ram, 512GB NVME drive, USB3.1 to NVME case to use for cloning, a new PSU, and an X570 board.
When the parts arrived, I stuck them into a spare case, cloned the SSD to the NVME, fired up the machine and it blue screened right away.
Nothing I did worked.

I texted him and said that it looks like I may have to do a fresh install, and start looking for your program installs and serial numbers.

Just out of curiosity, I cloned my 4790k Windows 10 install to the NVME drive, stuck it into the X570 and to my surprise Windows started loading and was getting drivers.
A few minutes later I was at the desktop, and it was working fine.

I figured if my OS boots up coming from a 4790k Z97 maybe his OS will boot up if I hook it to my PC first.
I plugged the spare SSD into my Z97 board and fired it up, Windows started loading, found the drivers, and all was good.
Powered down, booted my OS since I had the cloning tools on it, cloned the SSD to the NVME, popped it into the X570 and it booted up.
Found all the drivers and was working fine.

Called my buddy and told him I got his OS working on his 3900X setup after jumping through some hoops, and he was so relived.
A few days later he came by with this 4770 setup, and I pulled out his old mobo and installed the new parts into his machine.
9 months later and it still works great. Oh, and I built his i7 4770 Z87 Sabertooth system 6 years ago and had zero issues with it.
In fact, I've built all of his machines since 1996, and not one has failed (other than the one that got struck by lightning).

I would argue to remove the intel drivers before doing the swap.

This.
I uninstalled all the relevant Intel stuff from my old z97 system before swapping out to my current x570/3700x setup, and I've no issues other than the occasional RAM hiccup in the first few days while I was trying to find the best speed/timings to run it at.

I did an i7 4770 to 3900X swap late last year. My friend uses his PC for work and works a lot so we had to minimize downtime.
He has so many graphic apps and music tools that he uses that it would take half a day or so to do fresh install and configure everything.
He was still running Windows 7 so I went over there and updated his machine to Windows 10 and then cloned his OS to a new SSD to take home with me.
I ordered his 3900X, 32GB of ram, 512GB NVME drive, USB3.1 to NVME case to use for cloning, a new PSU, and an X570 board.
When the parts arrived, I stuck them into a spare case, cloned the SSD to the NVME, fired up the machine and it blue screened right away.
Nothing I did worked.

I texted him and said that it looks like I may have to do a fresh install, and start looking for your program installs and serial numbers.

Just out of curiosity, I cloned my 4790k Windows 10 install to the NVME drive, stuck it into the X570 and to my surprise Windows started loading and was getting drivers.
A few minutes later I was at the desktop, and it was working fine.

I figured if my OS boots up coming from a 4790k Z97 maybe his OS will boot up if I hook it to my PC first.
I plugged the spare SSD into my Z97 board and fired it up, Windows started loading, found the drivers, and all was good.
Powered down, booted my OS since I had the cloning tools on it, cloned the SSD to the NVME, popped it into the X570 and it booted up.
Found all the drivers and was working fine.

Called my buddy and told him I got his OS working on his 3900X setup after jumping through some hoops, and he was so relived.
A few days later he came by with this 4770 setup, and I pulled out his old mobo and installed the new parts into his machine.
9 months later and it still works great. Oh, and I built his i7 4770 Z87 Sabertooth system 6 years ago and had zero issues with it.
In fact, I've built all of his machines since 1996, and not one has failed (other than the one that got struck by lightning).
+1 to what Zepher wrote.

I have so much stuff installed in Programs and Programs-X86 that it can take me two days to get everything re-installed. That includes dealing with Adobe and Microsoft via long chat sessions or telephone activation, a huge pain in the ass. To speed things up, I keep most of my install software in an EHD.

I appreciate what different guys have said in this thread. But when I did the board/CPU replacement, I figured "what the heck, see what happens." And what happened was a huge nothingburger. I just installed the chipset driver and then the other drivers. I haven't even removed all the old Intel X79 chipset and ASUS P9 board drivers.

Do I even need to uninstall those old drivers? is there an easy way to identify them?

Reading this thread makes me feel icky. You sickos that don't format after and AMD/Intel swap are brave.

Reading this thread makes me feel icky. You sickos that don't format after and AMD/Intel swap are brave.
My Plex server went from a dual 4 core Xeon to a dual 8 core Xeon to an 8 core FX-8150 AMD and currently an i7 4770.
Runs 24/7 with no issues.

The OS on my main gaming rig, the 4790k, used to be my HTPC back 11 years ago with a Core2Duo E5200.
It went through a bunch of different CPU's and mobo's, but they were all Intel.
HAL-X100-App-Install-H-8-7-2020.jpg

Back